Minimalist Footwear in Drum Corps

One of the latest trends in fitness is minimalist shoes or "barefoot" technology. The concept is this: our feet are designed just fine to help our bodies move. Yet modern shoes with lots of cushioning, padding, movement restriction has not helped with injury reduction at all. A great article that helps explain this:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run.html?utm_source=feedburner_medium=feed_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Personally, switching to minimalist footwear (Vibram Five Fingers) took some adjustment. Since I couldn't land on my heels anymore, I had to learn to land on the mid or forefoot. And that made the calves really sore. I use Sanuk's for work, which is 12 hours of walking on concrete (Emergency Nurse). However, I don't have any pain in the knees (after three surgeries), just some tired legs at the end of the shift.

I don't think that corps would go for the Five Fingers, due to the individual toes.

31ZkdQZZqBL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

It will be interesting if a corps is willing to try this as an experiment. And hopefully have physical trainers/sports medicine personnel that can track some data.

What do you think?

Bill

Drum Corps Medical Project Member

• Like 2

One of the latest trends in fitness is minimalist shoes or "barefoot" technology. The concept is this: our feet are designed just fine to help our bodies move. Yet modern shoes with lots of cushioning, padding, movement restriction has not helped with injury reduction at all. A great article that helps explain this:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run.html?utm_source=feedburner_medium=feed_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Personally, switching to minimalist footwear (Vibram Five Fingers) took some adjustment. Since I couldn't land on my heels anymore, I had to learn to land on the mid or forefoot. And that made the calves really sore. I use Sanuk's for work, which is 12 hours of walking on concrete (Emergency Nurse). However, I don't have any pain in the knees (after three surgeries), just some tired legs at the end of the shift.

I don't think that corps would go for the Five Fingers, due to the individual toes.

31ZkdQZZqBL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

It will be interesting if a corps is willing to try this as an experiment. And hopefully have physical trainers/sports medicine personnel that can track some data.

What do you think?

Bill

Drum Corps Medical Project Member

We definitely can't do without shoes, but I think that the minimal shoes are an interesting idea. I know I'd personally need some with arch support, because I have fairly flat feet.

My son actually tried these shoes during one of his weekend camps, he enjoyed the feeling of the shoe, but found as the weather changed the field surface became to warm and had to switch his regular running shoes.

I thought it might be an interesting idea too, could seeing it changing marching technique

I have the Nike Free (the 1) which mimic this but look like a normal shoe, they are considered a good transition shoe for going barefoot and are the wimpest barefoot shoe in their line (which I think goes up to 3?). They seemed subtle at first, then I couldn’t wear them too long and now I love them, my feet feel great !!!

These shoes are designed to have the wearer land on the forefront of the foot and not the heel. Like cowtown was saying, marching technique would have to change. Marching would look very flat footed, as opposed to the roll step that's been used for so long now. If the barefoot running advocates are correct and that's how humans are supposed to run, then I think that style of marching would have to be done away with.

Future dinosaur line: "Back in my day sonny we put our heels on the beat with our toes sky high"

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint
  • Like 1

The shoes wouldn't survive the summer. On top of that, a lot of people are flat footed and need the arch support from shoes (something like that)

Besides, most injuries in this activity don't occur from the shoes they wear. Most injuries are from either the staff over working the marchers or just the poor marching technique chosen by the staff. Resulting in the staff calling them pansies and sending them home.

• Like 5

Only if the corps carries a stock of tetanus vaccine in the equipment truck.

The shoes wouldn't survive the summer. On top of that, a lot of people are flat footed and need the arch support from shoes (something like that)

Besides, most injuries in this activity don't occur from the shoes they wear. Most injuries are from either the staff over working the marchers or just the poor marching technique chosen by the staff. Resulting in the staff calling them pansies and sending them home.

:ph34r:

I think it would be best to practice in footwear that best mimics performance footwear. I'm wondering how many people are rehearsing in low-end running shoes instead of shoes that can bear more lateral movement. That may play into injuries as well.

Edited to add: injuries are likely also from students not taking their training seriously - skipping stretches or only doing them half-heartedly, not doing enough reps in stability exercises, etc.

Edited by TerriTroop