BD Family Night

Note: Mods...sorry if this is posted on the wrong forum..I'm posting from my iPhone outside the stadium in Concord -- and I only have 1/8 battery life left (feel free to move)

Real quick, about the BD show...I've been following this Corps since 1976 and I am hard pressed to think of a BD hornline that sounds as big, warm, and balanced as this one. Just Amazing. The show is 'old school' but it never seems old. BD marching is always steller, but tonight the MUSIC was the star.

Not sure if they showed the entire program or not but it felt like it was complete. I'm not going to make any predictions other than to say that this is the most accessible show in recent memory and sure to be the favorite of many.

Cali.

• Like 7

How about SCV and Renegades?

• Like 1

I was at Family Day this year, had a fantastic time, and here are some of my thoughts about the A corps...

BD's hornline this year is one of the most, if not the most powerful I've heard since I began following drum corps, which is about a decade now. The new System Blue horns sound fantastic, and the hybrid "bariphoniums" project with a warm depth.

The show itself uses large boxes to outline a "house", which are spun, pushed, and moved about throughout the show. There are many intricate visuals and drill moves that take advantage of the 6' white columns which provide stunning effects without the "confusion" of reflections in a mirror.

The show has several "park and blow" moments that make your eyes pop and ears sizzle. I found myself thinking, "There's no way they are going to get louder..." but they do.

There is a very nostalgic feel to the show, with lots of outstanding solo work in the hornline. Looking forward to watching this show evolve!

• Like 7

I was at BD Family Night and it was amazing - the Hornline & percussion were out of this world. The music is incredible and especially what they do with those familiar tunes. The visuals are indicators that BD will go undefeated this year. The guard uniforms are really classy & yet very colorful. The bright flashes of color that appear suddenly on the field against the 12 foot white pillars are really amazing. This show has a lot of surprises and I am sure they are just getting started. I can't wait to see this show again and I can't wait to see how it grows over the season!! BD is going to be loved by audiences this year!!

• Like 1

I was also there. While I'm going to say they were very good, they still have a lot of work to do. But that's to be expected, it being only June 12th. Their horns sound amazing as everyone has said, but their drumline also is a step up from last year. I was at Vanguard's rehearsal the night before, and I think that they'll be comparable.

• Like 1

I have a strong feeling, especially after hearing their pre-tour recording that they will go undefeated. They already sound better than some of the top corps at finals last year.

That's a mighty bold prediction!

That's a mighty bold prediction!

I wasn't there last night, but I have to tell you, I caught the first glimpse of the new BD uni only an hour or so ago, and I almost immediately agreed with you.

But then, about 40 minutes ago, I finally forked over the $5 to get this season's recording off the Mediabox. I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes, and cannot find the words to describe the multitude of feelings I've experienced, having listened to it for the 8th time just moments ago.

In other words, this year's Blue Devils could take the field in the 1965 Royal-airs' uniforms sitting on barstools for all I care, just as long as I get to hear them play this live in Minneapolis, you dig?

This book is not only a masterpiece of arranging, but has succeeded in giving me the same degree of intense melancholy I felt the first time I saw my corps on the field after I'd aged out 25 years ago this summer.

Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking. :worthy:

PS: does anyone have any idea what mikes they used for this recording? It was perfection.

PPS: This is the very first show I've heard where the electronics seemed absolutely appropriate and in service to the overall music. God help me, I think I've crossed over...ready to accept Drum Corps on Drum Corps' terms...not mine.

• Like 4

Sometimes before the season begins you have a show down right where you think that you want it to be (well almost). Then the season starts and you realize that a million changes have to be made before you get to the finish line.