Who's taking Drums

Who's taking Drums  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to get the Fred Sanford title this year

As I stated earlier - you left out all the other lines. If you are going strictly on the top lines from last year (plus SCV because of the obvious changes) I'd have to vote:

1. SCV

2. BlueCoats

3. Cavies

4. BD

5. Cadets

The others shouldn't be on the list

Lol. I don't think Crown will win, but they very well may do better than most on that list. And they may not. But in years past, their drumline has been great.

SCV has Rennick, sure, and that means some nasty beats, but they don't have a whole lot of vets from Phantom or SCV. I think it's a stretch to throw two different teams together (SCV vets + Phantom vets) in a new house and predict a title out of it. I think SCV's percussion program will get great eventually, but not yet. (I'd love to be proven wrong!)

I know a lot of people in Cavies percussion, so if they won I'd also be psyched, but, again, it's their first season at Cavies -- it's not a vet-heavy line. They've been playing together for a while, so I think it's slightly more likely, but still not the highest chance for me.

Bluecoats, though, I know to be stacked. Eight of nine snares or whatever, a great majority of the pit, and more delicious writing. That's where my vote is.

Also I won't pretend to know anything about BD or Cadets, because I don't.

From my understanding, all SCV and Phantom vets at SCV and Phantom were being allowed to come back. So what sorta happened, is that most of Phantom's 2010 line is now at SCV with Rennick. SCV goes followed Gusseck to Academy probably or went to BD. Spirit of Atlanta guys followed Gwaltney to Phantom. So theirs vets of PR in SCV, vets of SCV in Academy/BD/Coats, Spirti vets in PR. And then of course whoever else made the line.

Anyway...

1) SCV or Coats or Cadets.

Based off of the very few things I have seen from "that site we can't say", but going from mostly what happened last season.....My vote is for Bluecoats

Here is my unscientific purely speculative reasoning: Bluecoats were pretty even with PR last season. split throughout the season. Listed along with PR are the only 4 percussion sections that had beaten PR at anytime of the season

18 meetings: Bluecoats 8 vs. PR 10 = Bluecoats at a 44%

12 meetings: BD 4 vs. PR 8 = BD at a 33%

9 meetings: Cavies 2 vs. PR 7 = Cavies at a 18%

15 meetings: Crown 1 vs. PR 14 = Crown at a 6%

So Bluecoats favor the highest percentage wise against PR. Now lets look at how Bluecoats did vs. the other three lines listed above.

13 meetings: Bluecoats 9 vs. Cavaliers 4 = Bluecoats up by 69%

16 meetings: Bluecoats 15 vs. Crown 1 = Bluecoats up by 93%

5 meetings: Bluecoats 5 vs. BD 0 = Bluecoats up by 100%

So again totally unscientific, but with PR having a new staff and Bluecoats retaining most (if not all) their staff. I would put my early vote on Bluecoats.

The fact that I figured all this out mathematically proves that I can be a procrastinator with important things I need to do :doh:

Edited by dbg

I'm feeling Bluecoats this year. They were silly good last year, and if those reports of high return numbers are correct, then there you go.

SCV will be good, no doubt, but there isn't a particularly high number of Phantom transplants there, 4 snares, 1 tenor and 1 or 2 basses if I recall, and an even lower number of SCV vets...1 tenor and 1 bass (again, if I recall). While these Phantom vets are very good, they are in a new environment along with Rennick. And while these SCV vets are very good, they are adjusting to a very different style of playing. I could see them easily being top 3 in drums, but I don't see a title quite yet.

I would guess the top 3 will be Bluecoats, Cavaliers, and SCV/Blue Devils.

I'm feeling Bluecoats this year. They were silly good last year, and if those reports of high return numbers are correct, then there you go.

SCV will be good, no doubt, but there isn't a particularly high number of Phantom transplants there, 4 snares, 1 tenor and 1 or 2 basses if I recall, and an even lower number of SCV vets...1 tenor and 1 bass (again, if I recall). While these Phantom vets are very good, they are in a new environment along with Rennick. And while these SCV vets are very good, they are adjusting to a very different style of playing. I could see them easily being top 3 in drums, but I don't see a title quite yet.

I would guess the top 3 will be Bluecoats, Cavaliers, and SCV/Blue Devils.

I'm pretty sure the two end snares are SCV vets. I saw them last week, and they were really good. But I agree with what you're saying, and that might prevent them from getting the title. Not that they're at all bad, but there's a lot of positive rumors about the Cavaliers and the Bluecoats. I also saw SCV and BD, and there's a lot of talent there. I believe that's who the top 4 drums are going to be, but I could be wrong. Obviously.

Just a few people who marched in a little-known group called Music City Mystique.

From my understanding, all SCV and Phantom vets at SCV and Phantom were being allowed to come back. So what sorta happened, is that most of Phantom's 2010 line is now at SCV with Rennick. SCV goes followed Gusseck to Academy probably or went to BD. Spirit of Atlanta guys followed Gwaltney to Phantom. So theirs vets of PR in SCV, vets of SCV in Academy/BD/Coats, Spirti vets in PR. And then of course whoever else made the line.

Anyway...

1) SCV or Coats or Cadets.

See the posts just before this one. The percentage of Phantom vets that went to SCV is not astounding.

I'm pretty sure the two end snares are SCV vets. I saw them last week, and they were really good. But I agree with what you're saying, and that might prevent them from getting the title. Not that they're at all bad, but there's a lot of positive rumors about the Cavaliers and the Bluecoats. I also saw SCV and BD, and there's a lot of talent there. I believe that's who the top 4 drums are going to be, but I could be wrong. Obviously.

There is at least one snare drummer who marched SCVC last year, however there are zero vets in the snareline.

Based off of the very few things I have seen from "that site we can't say", but going from mostly what happened last season.....My vote is for Bluecoats

Here is my unscientific purely speculative reasoning: Bluecoats were pretty even with PR last season. split throughout the season. Listed along with PR are the only 4 percussion sections that had beaten PR at anytime of the season

18 meetings: Bluecoats 8 vs. PR 10 = Bluecoats at a 44%

12 meetings: BD 4 vs. PR 8 = BD at a 33%

9 meetings: Cavies 2 vs. PR 7 = Cavies at a 18%

15 meetings: Crown 1 vs. PR 14 = Crown at a 6%

So Bluecoats favor the highest percentage wise against PR. Now lets look at how Bluecoats did vs. the other three lines listed above.

13 meetings: Bluecoats 9 vs. Cavaliers 4 = Bluecoats up by 69%

16 meetings: Bluecoats 15 vs. Crown 1 = Bluecoats up by 93%

5 meetings: Bluecoats 5 vs. BD 0 = Bluecoats up by 100%

So again totally unscientific, but with PR having a new staff and Bluecoats retaining most (if not all) their staff. I would put my early vote on Bluecoats.

The fact that I figured all this out mathematically proves that I can be a procrastinator with important things I need to do :doh:

This is all very interesting, but there are certain things that you are missing. #1 is that The Cavaliers finished ahead of the bluecoats at the end of the season. Nobody cares how many times you beat someone in June or July, it is all about where you are in August. #2 you mentioned the bluecoats are retaining most or all of their staff, but so is everyone else with the exception of phantom and SCV.

I do think you are right or close to being right at least (which is all you can do in a pre-season prediction thread). Bluecoats are definitely in a good place to win drums. I think the cavaliers have an equal shot to do the same and it sounds like BD is going to have a very good line this year as well.

I do think folks are a little quick to jump on the SCV bandwagon. With the percussion staff being the new thing over at SCV it is going to take some time to adjust. I mean, how long was Rennick at Regiment before he won his first drum title? 5years maybe? It wasn't like he just figured out how to write or teach all of the sudden. He took time to build it. SCV will take time too. I am sure the drumline (and pit) will be very very good this year, but full corps I hear is struggling, and that can be hard to overcome for a caption award.

I'm saving my vote until after Monday when I can see all top 8 from last year. I'm an avid Phan and I've seen Phantom in person and they are good, but I don't believe as they are as strong as they were last year...YET. I also heard that Phantom has no vets on their drumline this year so it might be hard for them to win with an entirely new crew. I've only heard the Blue Devils and while their drums don't seem as strong as their horns, they sound good as well. I'll have more of an idea Monday night and I'll have an even better idea after I go to DCI Minneapolis.