Who's taking Drums

Who's taking Drums  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to get the Fred Sanford title this year

The SCV drumline is "in it to win it with Rennick". They brought enough vets over from PR (14 or 15 total, nearly 50% of the drumline/pit) to keep the momentum going, the same number that would have stayed with PR had there not been the staff movement. I saw them rehearsing in May at camp and again yesterday and they are playing extremely well right now. And the show definitely has been written to feature this drumline, lots of exposed features for them. The battery and pit book is one of the most challenging I've seen from team Rennick in the past few years.

My prediction for top 3 come August will be

SCV

Bluecoats

Cavies

• Like 1

The SCV drumline is "in it to win it with Rennick". They brought enough vets over from PR (14 or 15 total, nearly 50% of the drumline/pit) to keep the momentum going, the same number that would have stayed with PR had there not been the staff movement. I saw them rehearsing in May at camp and again yesterday and they are playing extremely well right now. And the show definitely has been written to feature this drumline, lots of exposed features for them. The battery and pit book is one of the most challenging I've seen from team Rennick in the past few years.

My prediction for top 3 come August will be

SCV

Bluecoats

Cavies

I believe a lot of the corps are in it to win it. I also believe the talent in drumlines this year is amazing. It's going to be a good fight.

• Like 1

I love how posts seem to infer that the most experienced person for a drumline is a veteran of the drum corps that the drumline is a part of. Vanguard has veterans of Phantom Regiment who have been marching since 2007, as well as outstanding players from many other different corps (some that are also VETERANS of SCV - the few but proud). Yet people just infer that a drumline will fail because there aren't many corps veterans in the line, or that the caption head and staff is new (even if they have Sanford titles under the belts, with the same performers following them to win another). I guess we should expect SCV to be a starter-line, right? Pshhhh!!! lol

1) SCV

2) Blue Devils

3) Bluecoats

Anymore than that, and I must be Nostradamus (which I'm not) ;)

Edited by Madbass4
  • Like 2

I love how posts seem to infer that the most experienced person for a drumline is a veteran of the drum corps that the drumline is a part of. Vanguard has veterans of Phantom Regiment who have been marching since 2007, as well as outstanding players from many other different corps (some that are also VETERANS of SCV - the few but proud). Yet people just infer that a drumline will fail because there aren't many corps veterans in the line, or that the caption head and staff is new (even if they have Sanford titles under the belts, with the same performers following them to win another). I guess we should expect SCV to be a starter-line, right? Pshhhh!!! lol

1) SCV

2) Blue Devils

3) Bluecoats

Anymore than that, and I must be Nostradamus (which I'm not) ;)

did you look at which corps is winning this poll??? lol

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

After checking out the show tonight, I'd definitely say that vanguard is the front runner. They are EXTREMELY GOOD for this early. One thing I was (not) really surprised at was blue devils. Of course they're playing some technical things. But they are super exposed and it was not that good tonight. I guess we finally get to see how BD sounds in June. Carolina crown was pretty solid front to back. They had a load of notes that aren't gonna be counted because they're in the preshow. But they definitely have one of my favorite shows this summer. Phantom regiment was better than I thought they would be. They're definitely having a smooth transition percussion wise.

After checking out the show tonight, I'd definitely say that vanguard is the front runner. They are EXTREMELY GOOD for this early. One thing I was (not) really surprised at was blue devils. Of course they're playing some technical things. But they are super exposed and it was not that good tonight. I guess we finally get to see how BD sounds in June. Carolina crown was pretty solid front to back. They had a load of notes that aren't gonna be counted because they're in the preshow. But they definitely have one of my favorite shows this summer. Phantom regiment was better than I thought they would be. They're definitely having a smooth transition percussion wise.

While I think BD is dirtier than they usually are at this point of the season, I see them trying a lot more stuff. All these split parts and body movement, more complicated sounding rhythms (Okay, I'm a brass player... but at least I've done winter drumline) seem to really be cool, and if (when) they get that clean, it'll be amazing.

Glad to hear Phantom's drumline is having a smooth transition by the way.

Not a drummer at all... but Crown's been 5th ,2nd , 4th the past three years. Last year early season I think they'd beaten everyone they'd seen at least once (even Phantom I think) but then things kind of fell apart with all the injuries.

Exactly why don't they belong on the list?

Crown's drums are laying it down this year.

like what I've heard from SCV and Cadets so far. Crown may be a dark horse... I think the battery is far and away the best section of that corps right now.

Crown's battery is the best section of that corps??? Ummmm...that hornline is unbelievable!!!! :worthy: