A GE question

should the judges factor in crowd response as an indication of how Effect-ive a performance is?

Absolutely not.

Personally I think even the more objective categories of the scoring sheet are mostly subjective as well. That being said there are things that have a bigger impact on effect. For instance:

Crescendo as you are moving away from the crowd as opposed to moving toward a crowd.

Having a group spread 90 yards apart sounding as if they are in a tight clump on the 50.

Forte piano crescendo without the use of a horn movement.

Effective staging drawing your eye to a big rifle toss so you catch it and not having huge moments off in some corner somewhere.

The judges in the box aren't just going "That is pretty cool, here have some points".

• Like 1

Well now, Cesario reports that in 2012 GE sheets will take audience response into account. About time for a change?

Well now, Cesario reports that in 2012 GE sheets will take audience response into account. About time for a change?

a good politician always says what he thinks people want to hear.( usually to save his own skin or win approval ).and even if it is on sheets doesnt mean it will carry any weight

• Like 1

Wow! 3 thoughtful, non-flaming replies in a row. Is this still DCP? lol.

But to repeat, do you think audience reaction should in any way be factored in?

It is to a degree: if the audience goes crazy for a designed effect, chances are judges will credit it.

cesario did not say that. he said that the proposed sheets for 2012 have a place to consider crowd reaction. the best way to understand the sheets is to learn the sheets. There are many things to be taken in to consideration when judging GE. perhaps the sheet is mislabeled. but allowing crowd reaction to become a factor is a huge mistake. that is like having the crowd call the plays for a football team. FOOLISH.

it will mean nothing on the sheet...just the word CONSIDERATION prove it and opens it wide for individual interpertation...ahhhhhh....like now..lol, it was put on the WGI sheets also and didnt do a thing, in fact the same visual judges from the past few nights are also WGI :rolleyes: and have been known to say " I dont even listen to the crowd" nothing is going to change , although I'm sure mr C. will make a valent attempt to hype it.

by using the word consideration i meant that it was part of a proposal not yet voted on. they have established a group of people to develope ideas and new sheets. it still is a horrible idea. and hopefully, if passed, will be ignored by the judges.

GE has, and shall remain to be (for this season at least), been a way to remove execution from the majority criterion.

By adding more verbiage, more grey area, more unquantifiable data they have just led to more people being suspicious of an activity full of suspicion already.

I don't have any ideas on how to remove all of this from the General Effect captions, but I think that installing more execution reward into this caption is the solution. I also think that being able to simplify the verbiage on the sheets is a good start, as well.

Absolutely not.

Personally I think even the more objective categories of the scoring sheet are mostly subjective as well. That being said there are things that have a bigger impact on effect. For instance:

Crescendo as you are moving away from the crowd as opposed to moving toward a crowd.

Having a group spread 90 yards apart sounding as if they are in a tight clump on the 50.

Forte piano crescendo without the use of a horn movement.

Effective staging drawing your eye to a big rifle toss so you catch it and not having huge moments off in some corner somewhere.

The judges in the box aren't just going "That is pretty cool, here have some points".

Yep. This.