Cavaliers are very very good this year

Before you say anything, I know it is June and I know my opinion is based on one grainy video from Youtube, as I have not seen them live yet, wont until late July, but I just don't get it. The best part to me was the three staccato notes at the end of part 2. Sure, incredibly chalked full of extreme talent...no doubt, but the dissonant chords on top of the weird audio tracks, just not for me. The tenors playing upside down...now that is a great gag! The drill is always spectacular, you come to expect that from the cavs, but the show is just "ehh" to me. But as another poster said, it usually takes half the summer of tweaks and changes to get them to the sweet spot. Still a big fan of the Green!

That guy who uploaded the shows had horrible audio quality because of high winds. All of the videos were ruined. And I soooo agree with that statement about Cavs pullin me in mid season

Before you say anything, I know it is June and I know my opinion is based on one grainy video from Youtube, as I have not seen them live yet, wont until late July, but I just don't get it. The best part to me was the three staccato notes at the end of part 2. Sure, incredibly chalked full of extreme talent...no doubt, but the dissonant chords on top of the weird audio tracks, just not for me. The tenors playing upside down...now that is a great gag! The drill is always spectacular, you come to expect that from the cavs, but the show is just "ehh" to me. But as another poster said, it usually takes half the summer of tweaks and changes to get them to the sweet spot. Still a big fan of the Green!

Yeah 'm the same way, and although I only saw the theater show I didn't feel it had the emotional connection that they did so well last year. And after the first minute or so I was over the whole guard walking around on stilts thing. It looks like they are getting ready to put up drywall on the BD house, other than that they are just walking around and not really doing or adding much to the show. I will wait until I see them live at allentown to get my final impression of whether or not this show works or not.

But I see lots of potential in Cadets, Cavies, BD, Coats, & SCV, so when those corps have made all their changes and cleaned up the rough edges it should be a fun race to the finish. And from what I saw at the theater that should be your top 5 in some order.

• Like 1

Yeah 'm the same way, and although I only saw the theater show I didn't feel it had the emotional connection that they did so well last year. And after the first minute or so I was over the whole guard walking around on stilts thing. It looks like they are getting ready to put up drywall on the BD house, other than that they are just walking around and not really doing or adding much to the show. I will wait until I see them live at allentown to get my final impression of whether or not this show works or not.

But I see lots of potential in Cadets, Cavies, BD, Coats, & SCV, so when those corps have made all their changes and cleaned up the rough edges it should be a fun race to the finish. And from what I saw at the theater that should be your top 5 in some order.

Id replace Scv with Crown. Crown is to talented to finish outside the top 5 :/

• Like 3

Id replace Scv with Crown. Crown is to talented to finish outside the top 5 :/

I just don't see that show having the oomph to carry them if the other 5 corps do the right things to their shows. I see much more potential in the other shows.

however, if those other 5 corps, especially SCV & Coats don't do the right things then Crown would be first in line to grab a top 5 spot.

Edited by bluecoats88
  • Like 1

As a long time Madison Scouts fan (i.e., I am not a Cavaliers fan)

I find this comment curious. I certainly am familiar with a respectful rivalry between our two corps, but rarely have I heard either side say they dislike the other corp.

........ or maybe I live in a hole.

I for one am VERY happy to see Madison back from a few down years. And trust me, I know down years when I see them (see below).

I find this comment curious. I certainly am familiar with a respectful rivalry between our two corps, but rarely have I heard either side say they dislike the other corp.

........ or maybe I live in a hole.

I for one am VERY happy to see Madison back from a few down years. And trust me, I know down years when I see them (see below).

Oldtimer, All I meant by this comment is that I am not a Cavaliers "homer." Some years I like the Cavaliers show (like this year) and other years I do not (like that "shave and a haircut/pop goes the weasel" show, for example.) Vic Russell

When someone has Cadets in their DCP name, you have to take their opinion of the Cavaliers' show with a grain of salt. As a long time Madison Scouts fan (i.e., I am not a Cavaliers fan), I predict that the Cavaliers will win the 2011 Championship.

Yes, I am an alumnus, but I try to be fair and balanced in my evaluations, not biased based on my affiliations. I love the activity, I just don't love every show by every corps every year. Still applaud the effort put forth by members and staff alike. But the most important thing to remember is that this is just my opinion. As mentioned, still a big fan of the Cavies. For those youngsters out there...check out Cavies 1985 Planets show...it was about as far ahead of its time as it get, in a year when the top 5 corps were absolutely amazing. Many, many great shows since then as well. There is no doubt, and based on early scores, Cavs will be in the top 5 for sure. Win...well, when predicting a winner, I am not as fair or balanced....Cadets!!!