Regarding tonight and the FUTURE

After reading various experiences in the theater, I noticed several observations about volume being too low.

I consistently have this issue because the theater will typically balance the sound to "movie level" (spoken dialogue). After calling this attention to the manager or employee with a walkie, they manually turned up the volume in our theater. It's to the point where now we just have them there at the beginning and we don't let them leave until the first double forte Ensemble moment of corps X is satisfactory! :tongue:

When Dci first came to the movies, this problem/solution was at an AMC theater for me. Since then, Fathom as come to a closer theater, Regal Cinema, and the staff there were still able to make the same adjustments for us. It made the hosts (Rondinaro, Delucia, etc) on the louder side, but at least gave us the chance to hear the performances with a better sense of balance and presence.

I couldn't imagine having to watch all the performances where FF came across as MP. Many of you have probably done the same thing in your respective theaters, but wanted to post this in case it could help for quarterfinals or in the future in general.

After reading various experiences in the theater, I noticed several observations about volume being too low.

I consistently have this issue because the theater will typically balance the sound to "movie level" (spoken dialogue). After calling this attention to the manager or employee with a walkie, they manually turned up the volume in our theater. It's to the point where now we just have them there at the beginning and we don't let them leave until the first double forte Ensemble moment of corps X is satisfactory! :tongue:

When Dci first came to the movies, this problem/solution was at an AMC theater for me. Since then, Fathom as come to a closer theater, Regal Cinema, and the staff there were still able to make the same adjustments for us. It made the hosts (Rondinaro, Delucia, etc) on the louder side, but at least gave us the chance to hear the performances with a better sense of balance and presence.

I couldn't imagine having to watch all the performances where FF came across as MP. Many of you have probably done the same thing in your respective theaters, but wanted to post this in case it could help for quarterfinals or in the future in general.

It was definitely too low at my theater tonight in Westchester, NY for my personal taste. It was good though to see a better turn out than semi's or was it quarters??...lol last year at the theater. In years past I have asked management to raise the sound, but I really was lazy tonight and decided not to even bother getting up from my seat hoping someone else would go find management. It felt more like a concert at radio city music hall and my friend was so tired from work...that he kept dozing off...LOL

It was way too low at our theater too. My biggest complaint was lack of low end....yeah volume was not too good

It was definitely too low at my theater tonight in Westchester, NY for my personal taste. It was good though to see a better turn out than semi's or was it quarters??...lol last year at the theater. In years past I have asked management to raise the sound, but I really was lazy tonight and decided not to even bother getting up from my seat hoping someone else would go find management. It felt more like a concert at radio city music hall and my friend was so tired from work...that he kept dozing off...LOL

3 hours was a long haul! If the sound is up for the next show in the theaters, you're friend might make it. :tongue:

I'm glad to hear that they responded to your request the other time and did turn it up. Most of the times I've asked, the staff normally looks at me and asks "what is this stuff anyway?"

It was way too low at our theater too. My biggest complaint was lack of low end....yeah volume was not too good

I hear ya. . .drum corps brass voicing can get naturally bright and strident so it would take a REALLY good sound system anyway (and we all look forward to that).

Totally get that movie theater faculty to pump it up next time! I feel your pain of sitting through a soft show! :shutup:

3 hours was a long haul! If the sound is up for the next show in the theaters, you're friend might make it. :tongue:

I'm glad to hear that they responded to your request the other time and did turn it up. Most of the times I've asked, the staff normally looks at me and asks "what is this stuff anyway?"

The theater is usually good about stuff like that. I forgot to mention I got a little chuckle from the girl standing at the door after intermission who was supposedly in the know and said "oh this part is supposed to be quiet" until the show continued to have no sound as the Cadets were entering the field...and then they stopped the picture after everyone started yelling no sound....LOL

the volume is ALWAYS an issue. In fact one year I could hear the Matrix movie next door over the corps.

the volume is ALWAYS an issue. In fact one year I could hear the Matrix movie next door over the corps.

I imagine it will continue to be an issue. . .unless a former marching band/drum corps alum is on the staff and controlling the volume knob. Man, would that be sweet.

Hearing explosions next door is unacceptable to a drum corps fan!

Wind really played havoc with the sound more than anything. If the corps were spread out, the wind just overpowered the mikes. You could really hear the wind howl during Crown's show.

Good point. It was also apparent on the corps proper's pants that were blowing towards Side 1 end zone like MC Hammer's chute pants. Ugh.