Indianapolis Pit Stop

Yeah, I'm sorry to say, it does not look good to me right now at 3:30 Eastern for a show tonight in Indy. It's not raining there now, but the radar shows large blobs of scattered heavy thunderstorms covering more of the area in Indiana to the southwest of Indy than not, moving slowly to the northeast. It does not look like it would pull through in time. Your best hope is that it will dry out, which is a roll of the dice. But if I were betting, I'd bet on no field show tonight in Indy. Sorry.

I know how desperately dry conditions are to the south, but up north, it's been a very wet spring and early summer.

Weather is not looking good in Fairfield, OH tomorrow night either.

I hope these guys get to compete this week.

The official Indy forecast for tonight:

"We'll have a risk for severe storms tonight with large hail and 50-60 mph wind gusts."

And they thought it was windy in Texas!

And this forecast from "Northern Thunder". How appropriate . . .

####. 50-60 mph winds?!

That means white noise all over my YouTube videos. :\

Also, this

I actually think this line-up will surprise the people that go. I think all 4 of these corps will move up this year! :]

Edited by Stryfe

I don't know... two hours later, and two hours before start time... it's looking better to me. The storms are still southwest of the city drifting to the northeast very slowly, but the first batch I thought would hit Indianapolis curved just south of the city. They might get at least some of the shows in on the field, and maybe most or even all of them. It's not a cold front advancing on the city where you know it won't miss; it's more like drifting storms. But there's a lot of coverage, so they still need some luck.

Sorry! Forget it! The radar just deteriorated significantly. A big thunderstorm just popped up right over the city, and new storms formed filling in what had been a blank area to the southwest. Not looking good for a field show.

Edited by Peel Paint

Another factor in their favor since it isn't raining yet is they only have four shows to get in instead of nine. You gotta figure there's an intermission in there, though. That always drove me nuts when I was at a show with storms coming: I knew it was at high risk for being called off, and yet they'd stick to a slo-mo schedule that would ensure that the last corps scheduled wouldn't get on the field. But, truth is, the start times for each corps are set well in advance and can't be changed on a dime without messing corps up. Plus, show sponsors and souvie wagons depend on intermissions to make some money.

EDIT: Well, I stand by most of this, but the point may be moot for Indy, because the radar deteriorated notably in the last 15 minutes. Not looking good for this show on the field.

Edited by Peel Paint