Indianapolis Pit Stop

Just got home from Indy show...long drive LOL.

Anyway Madison is starting where they left off last year! Great job Scouts! Nice sound. show is good but I will have to learn to like parts of it (middle section). I think the show and music are of higher caliber than last year which should help them break into the so called elite 8 "Tour of Champions" corps. Sorry Blue Stars you won't be in Top 8 shows next year!

Crossmen and Troopers both had nice shows as well - we'll have to see how they progress to see if they can come close to top 12.

Overall a pleasant evening and we avoided almost all of the rain and storms!

• Like 6

Sorry Blue Stars you won't be in Top 8 shows next year!

Saving this for later.

Just got home from Indy show...long drive LOL.

Anyway Madison is starting where they left off last year! Great job Scouts! Nice sound. show is good but I will have to learn to like parts of it (middle section). I think the show and music are of higher caliber than last year which should help them break into the so called elite 8 "Tour of Champions" corps. Sorry Blue Stars you won't be in Top 8 shows next year!

Crossmen and Troopers both had nice shows as well - we'll have to see how they progress to see if they can come close to top 12.

Overall a pleasant evening and we avoided almost all of the rain and storms!

Thanks for the mini-review!

• Like 1

I'm a little concerned about Madison's score because last year they were

scoring 71s at the first three or four shows. But maybe it doesn't mean anything...

different year, different judges, etc.

• Like 1

Saving this for later.

I think what you are saving for later will now take the place of what you anticipated in your earlier "in before...." post. :tongue:

scoring 71s at the first three or four shows. But maybe it doesn't mean anything...

IMO we'll be able to get a much better outlook on Madison tomorrow when they go up against Blue Stars and Bluecoats.

The raw numbers themselves are pretty meaningless right now. The spreads are far more important. Until all of these corps start competing head-to-head the numbers tend to fluctuate a lot. Always the case early season.

I understand they're pointless until at least san Antonio and can change 4 points in a day (see crown from this weekend) I just was trying to understand if they reward the risk now, cleanliness or some sort of balance

Even after 2 years of corps, I still don't understand most judging and how its done and honestly I don't really care about the scores.

BUT

Are corps rewarded right now for how difficult their shows are more than how clean the show is this early in the season? Or do the judges have to find a balance between difficulty and cleanliness then score off that?

I've seen Madisons show at 3 rehearsals, the last time being Monday not in uniform at IU, and #### that looks like,no IS a difficult show

They are usually pretty darn close to the placements and spreads of the previous year's finals, plus or minus a few points for odd individual judges. Real scroes and spreads do not kick in for 2-4 weeks, depending on the difference in a corps' actual performance of the current year versus the previous year. Example: Look at scores/spreads from the first couple of shows in 2009 of Phantom versus Blue Stars then look at the same corps by Houston/Dallas/San Antonio. It took the judges 4 weeks to realize that PR was NOT the champion corps of the year before, and it also took them that long to figure out that Blue Stars were that much better.

Judges are afraid to take a risk and score what they actually see the first 2-3 weeks.

Edited by noneofyourbusiness
  • Like 1

And I know people will say not to compare across shows, but.... I am willing to bet a great deal of Texas barbeque that the judges tonight knew how things played out in Texas this weekend.