The Martin(i) Bar

Obviously the usual disclaimer about different shows.

But given there was very little movement among scores (thus giving some comparability between shows) from most at the Round Rock show to the NM\TN shows, these most recent scores look interesting.

SCV 68.4- Albuquerque

Regiment 69.1 - Albuquerque

Madison 69.1- Indianapolis

Blue Stars 69.5- TN

Bluecoats 70.2-TN

Crown 70.6- Round Rock Sunday

Who was it that put together those margin-based rankings in prior years, those were always really good?

My very short and very quick comments on the show...

Overall the most enjoyable early season show I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot.

Music City - further along than I expected them. Show has a lot of potential. Currently they have 142 members on the field. I think they will be competing for that Open Class Title.

Teal Sound - pleasantly surprised... show was pretty much complete, the guard is not as awkward as last years, much improved drill, nice sound

Spirit of Atlanta - The Shocker of the evening and I am talking shocked everybody with any drum corps knowledge... This show oozes Spirit of Atlanta from the early 80's... The book is great, the guard uniform is fabulous... dirty feet, a lot of bouncing while marching backwards.... but I was truly impressed with SOA! I could seriously see this show competing for 10th - 12th place.

Blue Stars - difficult book, difficult drill, difficult guard work... Loved the show! The Blue Stars have taken it up 2 notches in my opinion. Will definitely be competing for that #5 spot this year.

Cavaliers - what can anyone say about this show... It was by far the most polished of any of the shows. Stand still at the end for about a minute. I wonder if it is too finished though. I hope they can keep maxing it out till finals.

Blue Coats - Very polished, Brass was lush and big... just what you would expect coming off of last years finish. It was my favorite brass line, but that's just my opinion. Loved the opening - lots of layers, lots of body work... and done well. Expect this show to keep growing and be a contender by August.

My very short and very quick comments on the show...

Overall the most enjoyable early season show I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot.

Music City - further along than I expected them. Show has a lot of potential. Currently they have 142 members on the field. I think they will be competing for that Open Class Title.

Teal Sound - pleasantly surprised... show was pretty much complete, the guard is not as awkward as last years, much improved drill, nice sound

Spirit of Atlanta - The Shocker of the evening and I am talking shocked everybody with any drum corps knowledge... This show oozes Spirit of Atlanta from the early 80's... The book is great, the guard uniform is fabulous... dirty feet, a lot of bouncing while marching backwards.... but I was truly impressed with SOA! I could seriously see this show competing for 10th - 12th place.

Blue Stars - difficult book, difficult drill, difficult guard work... Loved the show! The Blue Stars have taken it up 2 notches in my opinion. Will definitely be competing for that #5 spot this year.

Cavaliers - what can anyone say about this show... It was by far the most polished of any of the shows. Stand still at the end for about a minute. I wonder if it is too finished though. I hope they can keep maxing it out till finals.

Blue Coats - Very polished, Brass was lush and big... just what you would expect coming off of last years finish. It was my favorite brass line, but that's just my opinion. Loved the opening - lots of layers, lots of body work... and done well. Expect this show to keep growing and be a contender by August.

Just got back... would love to do a full review- I got lots of pictures- but I've got to fly out to Colorado tomorrow and I'd prefer to get 4 hours of sleep

-Music City-- bigger and better than last year-- some big musical tears, but they look confident and perform well- and holy crap- 15 TUBAS with a 64 member brass line?? Love it. Now just get them to actually play loud and SOUND like 15 tubas and it'll be amazing

- Teal--- looked like about 64 member hornline. No shakos (because it was a little windy?)--- guard in t-shirts/shorts. Not really much I can remember from the show... I'm a realist and I'm afraid this ones going to be performed last on Thursday night of finals week-- could be wrong

- Spirit-- WOW WOW WOW! seemed to me to be the best Spirit we've seen in, ehhh.. the past decade? Just super solid-- guard needs some work. This is just a big step up for them- members are performing well with a great product- lots of impact and good story development-- this was a big hit with the crowd tonight-- very loud, good brass sound. First show of the night to get a standing ovation-- totally agree with previous reviewer that this could be a finals-caliber show. I'd place it over glassmen products and/or Troopers the past few years- just a well done show-- smart even... my expectations were exceeded.

- Blue Stars-- I'm not sure... I thought they were good-- I don't like how the scaffolding pulls the field down to a smaller size- in the way it looks and where the drill goes. I do like this- but I'll disagree with the previous reviewer in their stepping it up vs the last few years-- this felt like 2010 and 2009 products from the Blue Stars to me-- still @ a very high quality- I guess I had hyped this show up too much in my mind for it to deliver completely. I'll say they could finish anywhere between 7th and 9th this year- IMO-- 72 hornline from the looks of it- 12 tubas... One point of interest- twice in the show there is a very high pitched trumped-sounding note coming from a synth like kissing-off a big brass release... it actually fooled a few people around me who thought it was a trumpet-

-Cavaliers. I totally get how this show has scored 1st both on the judges sheets and in the fan voting. This show has WOW factor all over it... it's the same feel as 2001 2002 cavies, IMO- they just come out there and OWN it. I remember 2010 early season cavies brass was surprisingly loud (we're so used to them starting off slow and then working up the volume with everyone else in late July, ya know?) loudest corps of the night... to me this show is BRILLIANT, CREATIVE, SMART, and lots of other things-- this is one of those shows where you just stand in awe of the design staff- Gains, etc, and just have to give it up. It's going to take an amazing show to pass this corps finals night. Talked with a staff member before the show- I was on the top row- i said "i think you just need to do the whole show with people playing their instruments upside down..." and he smiled and said "we've got some fun things still up our sleeve-- you're going to be happy later in the season with the closer..." and I don't doubt it. the obvious 1st place corps tonight-- 16 tubas

-BLOOOOOOCoats.. I love this show... I love the ballad opener and the choreography-- I love the closer-- I even love the middle part... MUSICALLY this show is incredible... groovy, powerful, beautiful, RAW... visually it's still going to take some work. Clearly a re-write/addition of the ending is necessary... I think there are still some of the middle parts that lose a bit of steam-- but that's what the season's for... I can't say enough how much I love the musical selections and oh my goodness, Doug Thrower is on fire with the brass arranging... this is a show you're going to want to get an APD of ASAP and pop in your car or in your headphones for a jog-- I know I will-- couldn't say I felt that way about any of the other shows tonight

the Bluecoat Tubas this year- I'd not only put them up against the best bluecoat tuba lines of all time (2007), I'd put them up against the best tuba line of any drum corps ever-- and if you've seen them live and heard the tuba soli in the closer you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you haven't seen the show you probably just rolled your eyes... if you have.... I bet you're nodding your head.... you'll see what I mean. Just fantastic. It made me smile and everyone in my section laugh out loud with enjoyment. I can't get enough of that.

I said Cavies would take it tonight by 3 points, but this 4.9 spread is just nuts. Visual GE judge put coats in 4th behind Spirit? 14.4 in GE vis 2 days ago and now it's 13.0... that seems... :thumbdown:

I see the Cavies-Bluecoats gap shrinking (though, however, I'm not saying I think the coats have a super high chance of actually PASSING them...) gap between Bluecoats and Blue Stars growing

I'd just like to mention how wonderful the crowd was tonight. Absolutely amazing. Extremely supportive and vocal for all corps.

agree-- I was impressed... you'd think there was always a show in Martin, TN...

agree-- I was impressed... you'd think there was always a show in Martin, TN...

It reminded me of a mini-Murfreesboro. I think the crowd response stems from our Southern charm and hospitality.

Btw, if you were sitting near the top by staff members, then we were very close to one another.

Thanks for the notes about Spirit of Atlanta! I've heard great things about them this year and that they will be one that turns some heads. It would be really cool to see them nudge their way back into Finals.

• Like 1