Blue knights? any thoughts?

Saw about 90% of it online (I'll caveat that by mentioning it was on a certain site with less-then-stellar recording quality ;) Really impressed with the visual design this year, drill and the staging has a terrific flow to it with nary a dull moment. They've got their work cut out for them cleaning it all, but hey, it's still early of course. Music was quite enjoyable! This was probably 95% because of the crummy audio on the recording, but they sounded like two very different corps playing the intricacies of the brass book moving vs. the multiple awesome company fronts. I haven't seen too many of their competitors, but the potential is there for a VERY exciting year for my home team!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

This show drew more "wows" and applause from DCI savvy spectators in Stanford:

(1) To paraphrase Christopher Walken's "I have a fever, and the prescription is more cowbell"/record producer character from SNL, BK is not afraid to "explore the stadium." In dinosaur terms, they play loud. A lot. And in a good way.

(2) BK does two complete loud company front pushes, not the du rigeur form company front / play only mf or f for 4 counts / run around for 4 / play Z# augmented 14th chord for 4 / run around some more / repeat steps 2-4.

(3) They were louder than PR.

Best Spectator Line I heard during a standing O for BK: "Finally, some MUSIC!! Thank you, BK!!"

2nd best spectator line, this one from a guy wearing a Stockton Commodores jacket, as BK left the field: "Man, they blew my face off!" (<-- he did not say this line again for any corps that went on afterward.)

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2

I have rarely liked the copy and paste shows they (and most other corps) have fielded the past several years, but this show is different. I can even stomach a little PA and Amp just to hear some straight up arrangements of some great music like this. My favorite show at DCI West - By Far. The Scottish Twirling tenor section is fantastic.

Saw a run at Hoover High in Glendale while they were on the way to NorCal...'cause I'm SUCH a geek, went up and helped at a visual rehearsal last Saturday, then took pics at the Stanford show so got to get torn-up on the sideline...saw 'em again at rehearsal on Sunday...saw the run at UOP while playing hooky from the photo gig. These guys are the real deal; feet are as good as anyone mechanically and Mark Sylvester is an unquestioned master...horns are MMA fighters standing on your chest pounding away...drums have Ralph in their corner...the show is a freeeeekin' gas. I can't get enough... !

cg

Wow awesome that you got to see them so much, I'm so jealous!!

This show is AMAZING!!!! It is so great having Ralph Hardimon back on board! No one could have written a better percussion book for this show. That Percussion feature is one of the best I've heard in a long time. Great guard and brass, too! This show has some legs, folks. Looking forward to see how far they can take it!

I havent seen their show yet, is the brass as ballsy as last year?

More, and with a darker sound!! Best hornline they've ever had, PERIOD:):)! Tons o potential and the show and maturity of membership is there!! Gonna be a special season when it's all said and done!!

Wes P

thoughts or opinions on their show this year?

I havn't seen the Blue Knights live yet, but I 've heard them play on a " Site That Shall Not be Named", and this is wonderful music they've selected. Parts of it reminded me of music played by the 27th Lancers, and BK's rendition is wonderful with it.