Staff behavior concerns...examples/solutions

This is borrowing from the "Scouts guard staff" thread that was closed. As Bawker suggested, I'm going to go ahead and start a thread about this. What are your general gripes/concerns about staff member behavior (rehearsal, preshow, during show, etc)?

I know we have all had our experiences that have left us a little disappointed or angry, but this isn't just to gripe or call out particular corps or staff members (so there's not much need for that). It's more about getting a feel for what our experiences have been as fans and ideas to correct. And this doesn't have to be limited to staff, but to the crowd as well.

Maybe we aren't solving world peace here, but, despite the attitude to the contrary, if anyone here thinks corps leadership and DCI personnel don't keep close tabs on what goes on here, I think they'd be mistaken. Why? Because it's an excellent opportunity to engage fans and to get feedback on a variety of issues (without paying a consulting fee) from people (beyond the casual fan) who have actually put in a lot of thought about the things we discuss.

SO, that said, there might be opportunity to inadvertently affect changes. :thumbup:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I think the staff of all corps should watch quietly. They should not be disrupting the customers who paid money to watch the show.

They can clap when the rest of the crowd claps, but they should not be shouting obnoxiously or clapping every time their corps steps off on the correct foot.

• Like 8

I think the staff of all corps should watch quietly. They should not be disrupting the customers who paid money to watch the show.

They can clap when the rest of the crowd claps, but they should not be shouting obnoxiously or clapping every time their corps steps off on the correct foot.

I disagree to a point! If they're taking away from the corps performance by their behavior being excessive.... Sure I agree. But these staff members work tirelessly with those kids to be the best they can be and the don't have other tools to evaluate performances except for shows! U can fix something or add something in practice but until it's seen in front of an audience they don't know how it's going to look, fit or sound! To me, someone getting excited over something done in the name of music education should be a good thing right? I understand we're the paying customers and all, but come on this is someone giving up their summer to work with young people to try and create exactly what we love- Good Drum Corps!!

Wes Perkins

BK 97 98

• Like 5

Thanks for starting the discussion again! :smile:

No problem. I don't encourage or condone DCP becoming a "middle man" for addressing SPECIFIC issues, as I stated in the other thread. Those should be handled directly. But this is a great forum for addressing general concerns/issues.

We saw in the other thread (as well as in the Scouts thread) that Chris Komnick will make an appearance occasionally to address issues or provide information. That shows that he and the Scouts leadership are aware of what is said here and, in turn, provide feedback. I'm sure other corps do the same, even if they don't all address things directly. So we know that we can get people's attention when we need to without taking it to extremes.

It can definitely help. :thumbup:

I agree. Staff members can give their praise off the field or at rehearsels.

• Like 1

1992 has set the precedent that DCI fining Staff Members for their behaviors that can be deemed "unacceptable and unprofessional" is allowed.

Although these punishments, as far as I know, were only carried out once, in 1992... it sounds perfectly acceptable for it to happen again in my book.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to take away somebody's right to get excited during a show. That includes staff members. What if a particular section has been struggling with a certain issue at a particular part of the show and it all suddenly clicks for the first time during a show? Should the staff who pours their heart and soul into this and is engaged more than anyone else in the stands not be able to express that? Sometimes it can be almost impossible to restrain a visceral reaction like that. BUT, I don't think it's too much to ask them to be mindful of their surroundings and not get carried away or draw attention away from the kids who are PAYING to be on that field performing. Doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I think it's naive to suggest that the staffs, who generally give their heart and soul (for not much pay) to get the kids to perform as well as they can all summer, should just sit quietly except for "approved" applause moments. Some people do get out of line, yes, but you also have to remember where they are coming from with this. Being on a corps staff is HARD, hot, dirty, exhausting work, and the people are very emotionally involved in the kids success or failures. There are often examples of the kids having stunk up a particular move or musical phrase for weeks, and then they suddenly hit it in a show one night. Being human, the staff erupts in joy! So, give them some slack on this - it is their 24/7 life for several months.

Now that being said, some staff members are just jerks, who inconsiderately keep a running commentary going through entire shows (not just theirs). Consideration has to be paid to the people who have paid (not cheap) prices to attend these things.

I think the most that could realistically be done is a reminder from DCI about considerate behavior being repeated throughout the season, and more effort made to have two dedicated staff viewing areas, one down low, one up high, that keeps staff from sitting randomly wherever they can find a spot. That would help both the audiences and the staffs, as you could decide who/how many staff people went to a particular area at each show, and when they erupt, it is bit more contained.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to take away somebody's right to get excited during a show. That includes staff members. What if a particular section has been struggling with a certain issue at a particular part of the show and it all suddenly clicks for the first time during a show? Should the staff who pours their heart and soul into this and is engaged more than anyone else in the stands not be able to express that? Sometimes it can be almost impossible to restrain a visceral reaction like that. BUT, I don't think it's too much to ask them to be mindful of their surroundings and not get carried away or draw attention away from the kids who are PAYING to be on that field performing. Doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Thing is its not like performances are the ONLY time to get excited. I would hate to take being excited from anyone but it CAN be toned down for casual viewers. Personally, i like seeing staff members get excited. Im just looking at the other perspective