Would you consider Drum Corps to be a sport?

If it's not a sport, then neither are gymnastics, boxing, figure skating or any other "judged" athletic activity. Unless we want to consider gymnastics and beauty pageants to be the same thing. Both are judged activities, but the criteria for competition defines them.

Mostly, it's just an opportunity for the majority of us who were playing halftime shows rather than playing in the first or second halves of football games to make what we did best into a sport. :tongue:

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 3

Considering I'm asking this question on a forum supporting Drum Corps, I'm sure I can predict what the answers will be. I've had arguments with people before trying to explain to them what these members go through in a Summer/Show/Rehearsal. And just FYI the Wiki definition of sport is: "organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means." Just a random thought...opinions?

I think it is unequivocally athletic, but not really a sport. I also wouldn't necessarily say it's an art form, though it is an artistic activity.

I'm honestly not really sure what I would categorize drum corps, other than maybe an entertainment idiom

Of course it's a sport, and it would do the activity some good if DCI would start marketing it that way. I work in sports marketing, and trust me when I say that there's a lot of untapped potential in drum corps that I don't think DCI really knows how to handle. I think that if DCI switched to a more sports oriented model (business wise, at least) it could really do wonders for the organizations financial security and the cohesiveness of the corps themselves.

• Like 1

Of course it's a sport, and it would do the activity some good if DCI would start marketing it that way. I work in sports marketing, and trust me when I say that there's a lot of untapped potential in drum corps that I don't think DCI really knows how to handle. I think that if DCI switched to a more sports oriented model (business wise, at least) it could really do wonders for the organizations financial security and the cohesiveness of the corps themselves.

It also might attract the wrong crowd. Booing not Blooing isnt something this activity needs.

It also might attract the wrong crowd. Booing not Blooing isnt something this activity needs.

There's already a lot of booing in DCI, unfortunately.

Also, you (and many others) seem to making the assumption that DCI being a sport means its the next NFL. If you look at the current amateur sports landscape you'd see that DCI actually has a lot more in common with those sports than it does any purely artistic event.

My main point is that if DCI would try a more sports oriented marketing platform, the entire activity would benefit from the financial security. (There are obvious flaws in DCI's current marketing program, but that isn't what this thread is about. Actually, I think it's quite probable that if DCI would fix this issue we probably wouldn't have the G7/G8 issues we do now.)

Also, you (and many others) seem to making the assumption that DCI being a sport means its the next NFL. If you look at the current amateur sports landscape you'd see that DCI actually has a lot more in common with those sports than it does any purely artistic event.

My main point is that if DCI would try a more sports oriented marketing platform, the entire activity would benefit from the financial security. (There are obvious flaws in DCI's current marketing program, but that isn't what this thread is about. Actually, I think it's quite probable that if DCI would fix this issue we probably wouldn't have the G7/G8 issues we do now.)

Ive never heard any booing. If there is booing, its not heard on the field, and thats what you dont want. Im telling you this would most likely attract more booing.

My 2 cents

Ive never heard any booing. If there is booing, its not heard on the field, and thats what you dont want. Im telling you this would most likely attract more booing.

My 2 cents

If you turn your speakers down you might hear quite a bit of booing.

:shutup:

• Like 1

My 2 cents

If booing were the biggest concern this activity had, well then we wouldn't be having a lot of the OTHER discussions we have on here. He's right about the marketing aspect. And to be honest, booing (while tacky and ridiculous) isn't the worst thing to ever happen. Not like people are running onto the field to assault corps members or anything. Programming would change drastically, I would imagine. Designing a show that gets booed repeatedly will either draw gluttons for punishment or will cause members to look elsewhere to continue their corps experience. Which would cause that corps to design their shows to be more accessible and fan-friendly...thereby ensuring that they continue to draw high talent and stay competitive, rather than the alternative.

I could still think of worse things that could happen. :tongue:

Nope. Not in my personal experience anyway.

Sure, I've heard booing on occasion at Drum Corps shows. But if we are talking " competitive sport " comparisons here regarding " booing" then frankly there is little comparison... so far anyway.

In sports, fans boo and harrass the teams as the bus enters the stadium parking lot for heavens sake. And they boo and harass them for the next 3 hours with unspeakable profanities and call the 17-22 year olders and staff every name in the book that would make a career veteran US Sailor blush.

And this is sometimes for their OWN team.

So what we might hear sometimes at a Drum Corps audience has no comparison. If anything, the issue is not booing in Drum Corps. Its getting them to be more enthusiastic in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO