Sun Devils to Relocate

*****OFFICIAL SUN DEVILS DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS PRESS RELEASE*****

7/7/2011

On behalf of the Board of Directors and staff, I am happy to announce that the Sun Devils Drum and Bugle Corps will be moving its entire base of operations to the Gainesville area. A key item of the Sun Devils 2012 plan was to relocate the corps’ operational base. After a great deal of demographical research, the Gainesville area became the obvious front-runner.

Some quick facts about Gainesville:

Location: Located in North Central Florida on the I-75 corridor halfway between Atlanta and Miami

Median Age: 27

Climate: Average of 2,800 hours of sunshine annually

January average high temperature: 65 F

June average high temperature: 89 F

Average rainfall is 35 inches per year.

The area basks in Gulf breezes that make summer days warm and nights cool, and produce dry and mild winters.

Cities: (within a 2-hour drive) Jacksonville, Ocala, Lake City, Orlando, Tallahassee, Tampa, St. Augustine, Cedar Key, Live Oak

Notable Firsts: Gatorade (first sports drink)

Home of: The University of Florida and Santa Fe Community College

We are currently working with local leaders and music educators to finalize the exact rehearsal location. A member of the local Gainesville community has donated a large storage facility to the corps. By the end of the month, all of the corps’ equipment will be relocated to Gainesville.

We are excited to move on to the next chapter on our journey back to the field!

• Like 1

7/7/2011

On behalf of the Board of Directors and staff, I am happy to announce that the Sun Devils Drum and Bugle Corps will be moving its entire base of operations to the Gainesville area. A key item of the Sun Devils 2012 plan was to relocate the corps’ operational base. After a great deal of demographical research, the Gainesville area became the obvious front-runner.

Location: Located in North Central Florida on the I-75 corridor halfway between Atlanta and Miami

The area basks in Gulf breezes that make summer days warm and nights cool, and produce dry and mild winters.

Cities: (within a 2-hour drive) Jacksonville, Ocala, Lake City, Orlando, Tallahassee, Tampa, St. Augustine, Cedar Key, Live Oak

We are currently working with local leaders and music educators to finalize the exact rehearsal location. A member of the local Gainesville community has donated a large storage facility to the corps. By the end of the month, all of the corps’ equipment will be relocated to Gainesville.

Good luck to you guys. You will be sorely missed at the South shows this year. I wish you the best of luck in getting back out there next year! With a state the size of Florida, I cannot imagine why two all-age groups can't thrive. Gainesville may actually be a reasonable driving distance for people in Valdosta... especially if you can provide overnight housing.

7/7/2011

That's awesome news! I wish you guys the best of luck in 2012. Anything to bring Sun Devils closer to Jacksonville is a big plus in my book. :)

Edited by JoshKegley

Congrads on the choice ,im in Jacksonville ,gald to see your getting closer.Best wishes on the move

If you could tie in to UF that would be great. Having visited there, it's a great under advertised area

Great hearing from you guys again and hope to run into ya'll next week!

being intimately familiar with the North Port, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda area It is a primary retirement area with a very high average age... Gainesville makes a lot of sense...

GO Sun Devils

Dave Faust

The Bucs

being intimately familiar with the North Port, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda area It is a primary retirement area with a very high average age... Gainesville makes a lot of sense...

Ya know, I didn't even think about that. That area down there is definitely a lot different than Gainesville. Being in a college town is surely a positive thing for any drum corps! After all UF does have a pretty good marching band. :tongue:

yes Josh, marketing is an interesting business and whether you're selling cars or recruiting for a drum corps - it's still marketing... yes the demographics for that area were all wrong... how about this simple test from "marketing 101"... In North Port, FL, were you to draw a circle of say 50 miles in radius... and proclaim that those living within the 50 mile radius, 100 mile diameter are your target recruiting area... 49% of your target area residents have fins and gills... It takes a very large population in a relatively small area (like Tampa or Miami or Jacksonville) to overcome the handicap of being mostly oceanside... It's simple math - numbers of bodies available...

this of course is aggravated by the very small populations of these beautiful communities and the extremely high average age of those populations.

This is not to knock these communities... Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and North Port were my chosen retirement area... if only I could pull grandma (and grandpa) away from the 6 grandkids... 3 years in Seattle pretty much put an end to any idea of moving to Punta Gorda...