Phil's Spread Calculation Standings

SCV over Madison and Blue Knights over Boston last night brings the standings even tighter..

01 …… 84.08 …… Cavaliers

02 …… 83.29 …… Cadets

03 …… 83.01 …… Blue Devils

04 …… 82.82 …… Crown

05 …… 81.30 …… Bluecoats

06 …… 80.39 …… Santa Clara

07 …… 80.18 …… Phantom

08 …… 79.87 …… Madison

09 …… 79.47 …… Blue Stars

10 …… 77.99 …… Blue Knights

11 …… 77.70 …… Boston

12 …… 75.47 …… Spirit

13 …… 74.91 …… Troopers

14 …… 74.56 …… Glassmen

15 …… 74.48 …… Academy

16 …… 73.70 …… Crossmen

17 …… 73.13 …… Colts

18 …… 69.31 …… Pacific Crest

19 …… 68.82 …… Mandarins

20 …… 68.32 …… Teal Sound

21 …… 66.88 …… Cascades

22 …… 64.95 …… Jersey Surf

23 …… 61.38 …… Pioneer

Updated to reflect 7/13 shows.

Edited by bluecoats88
  • Like 1

Now that the east and midwest have come together and seen a full panel I figured I'd post my current Spread Based Standings.

01 …… 83.93 …… Cavaliers

02 …… 82.73 …… Cadets

03 …… 81.97 …… Blue Devils

04 …… 81.79 …… Crown

05 …… 80.10 …… Bluecoats

06 …… 79.88 …… Phantom

07 …… 78.78 …… Santa Clara

08 …… 78.27 …… Madison

09 …… 78.13 …… Blue Stars

10 …… 78.11 …… Blue Knights

11 …… 76.77 …… Boston

12 …… 74.38 …… Spirit

13 …… 73.41 …… Glassmen

14 …… 73.17 …… Crossmen

15 …… 72.59 …… Academy

16 …… 72.29 …… Troopers

17 …… 71.83 …… Colts

18 …… 67.95 …… Pacific Crest

19 …… 67.04 …… Mandarins

20 …… 66.16 …… Teal Sound

21 …… 65.70 …… Cascades

22 …… 64.12 …… Jersey Surf

23 …… 60.67 …… Pioneer

Man, 5-10 are TIGHT!

this ranking system compares all current spreads between all corps that a corps has competed against and adjusts to current scores giving more weight to more recent meetings between corps and less weight to older spreads (ie, something from 2 weeks ago)

By using spreads it takes away the variables of higher scores in one region, and also keeps a corps who hasn't had a show in a few days in their relative competitive group.

I've been using this system since 1990 and it has always given a fairly accurate picture of where the corps stood in comparison to each other throughout the season.

Based on this there is a tight race for 7th, as well as 12th.

The group from 2nd-4th is fairly tight as well.

And you are calculating this how?

The corps out west haven't competed out east for almost 3 weeks.

Surely you can't compare the east and west with any kind of accuracy at this point.

Maybe you'll prove me wrong. Can I know how you calculate this?

EDIT

Ok, you answered before I asked.

How have you found that these calculations stand up against spreads from the first regional competition of the year?

Edited by BoyWonder1911

this ranking system compares all current spreads between all corps that a corps has competed against and adjusts to current scores giving more weight to more recent meetings between corps and less weight to older spreads (ie, something from 2 weeks ago)...

Now I remember. Great stuff. Thanks.

HH

boy wonder - when the first regional hits I find that my ranking through the day before the regional is about 95% accurate to the actual placement of the corps at the regional. one or two corps in a close grouping usually flip flop, but this is expected. what my rankin does it bring the spreads from all shows together and fits the corps in based on those spreads like a puzzle. It is not meant to be 100% accurate for actual order, but more for groupings. So if you look at the standing above there is less than .2 between BD & Crown. The standings show BD in 3rd and Crown in 4th, but with the calculated numbers being so close that is in essence saying it's a wash between these two corps and it could go either way if they were to meet today.

And yes, with the corps on the west coast swing not having seen any of the midwest/east coast swing corps since the first weekend the tie in between those groups is based on an older spread and so where Cadets & BD sit in relation to Cavies/Crown is based on those corps all improving at relatively the same rate. But as was seen with the Madison/Crown spreads the 3 point spread they had on june 25th held up the next time they met 3-4 days later, and continued to hold up throughout the rest of the week of competition.

Nice.

Seems like you made a pretty good system out of it. I thought about doing this myself a week ago, but I didn't want to turn my brain into oatmeal.

Yeah I added the weighting factor a couple years ago. before I would just toss out the lowest and highest averaged score to get rid of the anomolies but using the weighting factor for how old the spread is has alleviated that issue.

I think this is about the best ranking system I've seen to date, seems very accurate to where corps are right now, this will be fun to follow, thanks.