Any plans to open the roof or windows at championships?

Seems there was a thread on this some time back. One of the arguements in favor of opening the dome was acoustics, and while it may affect battery acoustics somewhat (the heads face up) the effect on horn acoustics would be minimal.

Acoustics is very much a directional and reflectional sort of thing.

I completely disagree. Anyone who has played in a dome, while ON the field knows that acoustically there is a big difference for the performers. Your listening points are muddy, gone, or false because they are echoes from another point in the dome.

We had designated sections of the show where we "listened back" or "listened to this section or that section"... but when we were in a dome, we were under strict orders to play under the hands of the DM... and the one time that advice wasn't given, we had a catastrophic on field tear.

Correct. There's no drainage system on the field.

well thats just silly

Seems there was a thread on this some time back. One of the arguements in favor of opening the dome was acoustics, and while it may affect battery acoustics somewhat (the heads face up) the effect on horn acoustics would be minimal.

Acoustics is very much a directional and reflectional sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure the roof being open would have a major impact on all acoustics, not just the battery. This isn't the RCA dome with a much lower roof where you heard a loud slap back from the drums off the roof. The biggest problem in LOS is the low frequency waves (caused by battery/brass/front ensemble/air conditioning/etc...) that bounce around forever because of the cavernous size of the field space. The open roof would create a fairly large place for those sounds to escape and create a much more clear projection of sound to the audience. No, it will never be the same as a open-air stadium, but it is my opinion, and some people I have been with in the stadium who are very acoustically savvy, that an open roof would make a major improvement on sound.

I've been in LOS with the roof open. Acoustically it would definitely be better, but the biggest problem is still the heat. When you're in their with the roof open the heat is just ridiculous, especially with all the metal surfaces and the green house effect from all the glass. It would be bad for the corps and the audience. I wish that DCI would do finals at IU in bloomington. That place was awesome. Great parking situation for the corps, great warm-up areas, you didn't have to walk halfway across a downtown area from warm-up to the stadium. And the acoustics were fantastic. DCI should have never gone indoors.

I've been in LOS with the roof open. Acoustically it would definitely be better, but the biggest problem is still the heat. When you're in their with the roof open the heat is just ridiculous, especially with all the metal surfaces and the green house effect from all the glass. It would be bad for the corps and the audience. I wish that DCI would do finals at IU in bloomington. That place was awesome. Great parking situation for the corps, great warm-up areas, you didn't have to walk halfway across a downtown area from warm-up to the stadium. And the acoustics were fantastic. DCI should have never gone indoors.

I believe there is a DCI rule against common sense :shutup:

• Like 1

are you kidding? I hope they ALWAYS keep the roof closed every night.

Since they've had Championships at Lucas, the heat index at that

time of year in Indianapolis has been extremely high and dangerous.

The stadium was THE place to be.

I can remember people sweltering outside waiting for the gates

to open just to get in the a/c.

They should really open the stadium much earlier so people can hang

out in the cooler environment not to mention visit the corps souvies

area which is also in the a/c....hello...more sales $$$

This is just as much about the paying fans as it is the performing

corps. I'm sure they appreciate it too. Oh, and as far as

acoustics, they adjust just fine.

I completely disagree. Anyone who has played in a dome, while ON the field knows that acoustically there is a big difference for the performers. Your listening points are muddy, gone, or false because they are echoes from another point in the dome.

We had designated sections of the show where we "listened back" or "listened to this section or that section"... but when we were in a dome, we were under strict orders to play under the hands of the DM... and the one time that advice wasn't given, we had a catastrophic on field tear.

Domed stafiums tend to have steeper seating and enclosed end zones. These are the main differences in the acoustics....not that you put a lid on it. The "lid" can affect overall dissipation, but it is the "bowl" more than the lid that affects the sound.

For an couple anecdotes, anyone else here ever march in the old Lambeau field? Worst acoustics of any stadium anywhere because the shape of the space focused the echos.

In Montreal the stadium was a dome type but had no roof (in those days). The bounce back off the walls was disconcerting at best (listen to SCV in '81).

no offense, but will this conversation happen every year for the next 8 years?