When did Drum Corps lose its soul?

I don't think the soul is in the corps show designs. Maybe that's just me, and for someone who's currently in that age of eligibility to march, I find the shows quite entertaining. I can see why some older alumni could feel the way you do, but not everyone does and you need to accept it's going to change in ways you might not like it. Compared to the last few years this one seems pretty #### good.

I think the audience for corps is getting younger and younger,

It's probably a venue thing or perhaps it's just different in different parts of the country. But in my observation, the 6 live shows I've attended over the last 4 years, I would guess the average age of the audience was over 50. Some were young, but it looked more like those who qualified for AARP were the norm, not those that qualified for school scholarships. The last 6 years that I've gone to DCI shows in the movie theatre there were more ticket takers under the age of 22 than ticket givers. Here again, the average age appeared to be even older... perhaps average age 60 or so. So I really don't understand what you mean when you state that " the audience for Corps is getting younger and younger", other than perhaps you are older than you think, and those under 60 appear younger to you these days. Or perhaps your shows are filled with a lot of young people that mine clearly don't have.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I didnt read the whole post but I can safely say that, in my opinion, being a fan, spectator, member, supporter since 1979, the last three years ahve been some of the most exciting, interesting, soulfull seasons I have witnessed.

Times change, things change, to be able to connect with your audience is hard because they change too.....Its nice to know that I can pop in 1980, feel the emotion I felt as a newbie, 1987, and still feel that competitive spirit when I was on the field, and last year, loving every minute as the BD wiped the floor with their show.

Yeah, drum corps soul is alive and well.....

Geoffrey

It's probably a venue thing or perhaps it's just different in different parts of the country. But in my observation, the 6 live shows I've attended over the last 4 years, I would guess the average age of the audience was over 50. Some were young, but it looked more like those who qualified for AARP were the norm, not those that qualified for school scholarships. The last 6 years that I've gone to DCI shows in the movie theatre there were more ticket takers under the age of 22 than ticket givers. Here again, the average age appeared to be even older... perhaps average age 60 or so. So I really don't understand what you mean when you state that " the audience for Corps is getting younger and younger", other than perhaps you are older than you think, and those under 50 or 60, appear younger to you these days. Or perhaps your shows are filled with a lot of young people that mine clearly don't have.

In last year, the show I went to, there was nothing but teens!

that's cool man. i got better things to do than comb through the dcp archives. I just wanted to see what people thought. Cause I think corps are boring as hell now.

Please don't take this in the wrong context; but if that's really your attitude and you have no problem expressing it as such, then DCP readers may well decide they "got better things to do" than offer an honest response.

Just a thought.

• Like 7

My first finals was in 1976, so I am old. I believe corps are more talented, creative and unique (corps to corps) than ever before. Sure, when the envelope is pushed it sometimes does not turn out well, but what I see on the field year in, year out is remarkable.

You are not old. The first of three Finals I marched was 1975, and I feel like I'm getting younger every year when I sit and watch the wonders that are unveiled in front of my eyes and ears on the field. Like you, I find it remarkable, and it's so invigorating it fills me with a sense of perpetual youthfulness.

Drum corps keeps people young at heart.

• Like 1

You are not old. The first of three Finals I marched was 1975, and I feel like I'm getting younger every year when I sit and watch the wonders that are unveiled in front of my eyes and ears on the field. Like you, I find it remarkable, and it's so invigorating it fills me with a sense of perpetual youthfulness.

Drum corps keeps people young at heart.

BA Humbug :shutup:

Well I haven't totally checked out. This is actually my first year out of it in many years. Being out makes you really see some stuff. I care cause I care about the activity. Change is fine but what are the options? It'd be nice if people just saw the bigger picture.

I understand...but only to a point. If the shows are boring, are you hanging around with some improbable hope that it'll all come around once again to your liking ? Because if you are, you're probably setting yourself up for more frustration and angst, you know ? There are things that I once liked that became boring. So I left and did something else. Those replaced things bring me joy now, and my time is better spent. I can't imagine hanging around something that is boring... or wishing it was different, or that I could turn back the clock. If something is all boring or no longer to your liking, go find something that is more exciting and a better use of your time, Man. Seriously. Its cool. You'll thank me for it. Good luck to you.

DCI lost it's soul when it was defeated by Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat. He's got it. I heard DCI is sending the Trooper's drum major to a rematch to get it back.

• Like 4