The Cavaliers 2002 vs The Cadets 2005

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps would win in a head-to-head competition as they performed on finals night?

• 2002 The Cavaliers
    • 2005 The Cadets

I, of course, voted for The Cavaliers 2002. I just enjoy this show A LOT! It was my favorite show from this program up until last year. I give chances to all shows and I will admit 05 Cadets isn't one of my favorite shows. However, I think for the rules of that year I think show is worth of 99.15. It doesn't really matter if I like it or not, it did get the score the corps deserved.

But for personal taste 02 Cavies is the better show. But hey if you enjoy it thats all that matters!

• Like 1

Hey - I voted for 2005 Cadets, but I would also have to say I favor the 2002 Cavaliers show over that one - it was a better show (since a lot of us seem to be jumping on which show we thought was "better"). Vote still goes to the Cadets - they had better execution.

I can see execution captions such as colorguard and visual being VERY close, Cavaliers winning brass, but Cadets winning percussion. The harder stuff to compare is obviously GE, as we need to specify which era of judging we're going with. In 2002, the Cavaliers were way ahead of the others. In 2005, The Cadets were way ahead. I'd say each year was kind of weak for 2nd and 3rd, so it's easy to see why each corps won by their wide margins and high scores.

With all that taken into account, I'd say Cadets 2005. Yes, parts of the Cavaliers really shined (amazing brassline and colorguard), but the entire ensemble of The Cadets were on fire that year. That's pretty impressive.

Lots of great observations here about these two great shows!

One point I haven't seen mentioned yet, is that, IMHO, 2002 was a stronger year overall for DCI and the Cavaliers absolutely dominated the entire season. Nobody seriously threatened the Cavies all summer long. Seriously...look at the scores, and you will see that the Cavaliers didn't break a sweat all the way to an undefeated season and record setting finals performance. And this was with very strong Devils and Cadets shows chasing them (or trying to at least...) Their innovative design and epic hornline just took DCI by storm that year and noone could handle them.

Contrast this with 2005...not as strong a year (again, MHO). Devils were relatively down that year, and the Cadets lost to the Cavaliers no less than 7 times. And that Cavaliers show, "My Kind of Town", is not one that will be remembered as one of their all time greats.

So, for me, the utter and complete season long dominance of a very strong field in 2002 on the way to the record setting score makes the Cavies 2002 corps the better corps. I give all the props in the world to that '05 Cadets corps and what they accomplished. I saw that show live (for their last defeat at Masters interestingly enough) and still enjoy it to this day (especially their percussion performance); I just have them a notch below '02 Cavies.

Just my $.02

depends on whether they were competing by the 2002 rules or the 2005 rules.

if it's the 2002 rules Cavaliers would definately win since Cadets would have been severely penalized for illegal equipment (ie. microphones, Speakers, mixing boards).

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tongue::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cavaliers 2002 was ground breaking in their design concept of "ensemble cohesion." Visual transition of their program, move for move, gave the judging community a different look almost entirely. Pacing of the program became a Cavalier signature and the style of drill/music/general effect (that suave Green Machine thang) entranced the audience. I remember it vividly. . .as a performer that usually went on just before them. :tongue:

Cadets 2005 was a program that truly came together by August. The story board approach was especially strong this year. Observed by others on this thread and acknowledged by Hop himself, execution seemed to feed off of itself and get stronger throughout the season. To me, it was not only their high achievement but that they did this while executing their trademark march-and-play-your-butt-off style of design. There are several moments in this program where performers are creating that Sacktig motion andperforming that Bocook sound (percussion as well). The guard took design took many, many chances on things and pulled it off at Championships. A highlight for this horn player was Dancer in the Dark, when they performed mirror images to the 50, spinning on both left and right hands. And the show had that element of innovation/originality/etc, necessary both to the Cadets and a Dci Champion.

I humbly voted Cadets with a very admirable bow to Cavaliers. GE is essential for me, however execution is also a large part of what I enjoy about drum corps. As "marching music's major league," I salivate at the products corps put on the field as the best in the world and things that can not be achieved anywhere else on the field.

• Like 1