Metamora Mayhem

I'm sure that contributed to some of the brass flubs later in the show, but even early in the show they were just never very loud. It was really a strange experience--I felt like the brass was all playing in a bubble or something. I dunno. I've wondered if it's intentional--maybe half the brass is laying out at any particular time to have enough endurance for the drill? But you'd think at the end at least they would blast it out of the park--or if the brand of horns has something to do with it--but apparently they use Yamaha, same as Cadets, Crown, lots of people--in my experience Yamaha made the best, easiest-to-play mellos.

My wife says she didn't think they were particularly quiet. Maybe I psyched myself out for it. Maybe I underestimated how spread they were into the backfield, etc...

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts about the Minneapolis show (wish I could go!). I'll be at Rockford on Sunday, so I'll get another take.

Thanks for the take....it's nice to hear an explanation from a horns perspective. I'm planning on posting from MInn too PLUS I'll be in Rockford Sunday too!!!!! :thumbup:

in my experience Yamaha made the best, easiest-to-play mellos.

I've also played Dynasty and King mellos, IIRC. This was all in the early 90s, so I'm sure things could have changed. But given the other corps using Yamaha, I'm sure it's not the instruments themselves blocking the sound.

SCV is quiet because that is the way the music book was written. It isn't supposed to be loud and in your face. They are literally going for that kind of style.

And if what I said above isn't true, then maybe they just have a weak hornline, because they did a lot of standing and playing. Sure, they move around a lot, but you don't see them playing a whole lot when they are moving.

I also agreed with the poster who disliked Crossmen's guard unis. The hot purple just doesn't do it for me.

I also pretty much agree with westcoastblue.

Troopers have a good show, but it just seems there is something missing. Maybe it is the fact they end the show galloping into the distant sunset. I dunno. They need some more wow factor other than the epic chord. That is good, but they need something else, or I think when Spirit gets clean, they are going to leave the Troop in the dust.

Legends I thought were very good - they have some real talent, it's just that they don't have a large corps. Pretty small. 6 trumpets? 3 guard?

I also thought their show did not do those kids justice. They spent too much time playing backfield, and although I kinda like the theme "Skyscapes", the music almost sounds too new-agey at times. Would really like to see this corps grow and do a nice power show next year or two.

And BTW, yeah the Stars are dirty in spots, but they just changed 1/3 of their entire drill, including the entire closer. Give them time.

I was not thrilled with the Stars losing to SCV by a point.

I know it's probably an accurate spread, given the Stars just changed a lot of their drill and it is still dirty, and I probably should have expected a spread like that, but I got my hopes up too much and set myself up for disappointment. I went back into my truck and cried for a good 10 minutes.

I would really love to see them knock off a couple-three corps that are ahead of them at this point. I will keep praying for that to happen.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

As it's been shown, they've been called the F-Troop for years. It may have come about from the old TV series?

Yeah, it did come from the series, and that's my point. F-Troop may have been America's most lovable cavalry unit in the '60s, but in the charitable words (in my view) of Wikipedia, F-Troop was for "the army's least useful soldiers and misfits." I thought maybe someone who didn't know better started using the term, but the picture on the button shows that it was perfectly understood.

I guess sometimes logic needs to be left at the door. :smile:

So, some thoughts on the show. I was on the 50 about 21 rows up (out of 24). Not high enough to get a great view of the visuals, but high enough not to get blasted back by the amps. My wife and nine-year-old daughter, who like drum corps and go to a show or two each summer with me, but who aren't obsessed over it like I am, were with me.

Thanks for the review--enjoyed your partners' insights AND the plus/minus format. :thumbup:

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Thanks for the notes on the show, BoyWonder.

SCV is quiet because that is the way the music book was written. It isn't supposed to be loud and in your face. They are literally going for that kind of style.

And if what I said above isn't true, then maybe they just have a weak hornline

I'd be okay with a mostly quiet show from the brass. A lot of the music is definitely the slow-build hold-back type of stuff, but I still expect the big impacts to be big. There were plenty of opportunities for huge impact moments. I dunno why it bugs me so much. I guess because I love the show design and the music selections and the drill and the guard, and I can forgive some messy playing, but I want to *feel* the brass on the big impacts. Maybe I'll have a different take after seeing them again.

And BTW, yeah the Stars are dirty in spots, but they just changed 1/3 of their entire drill, including the entire closer. Give them time.

Yeah, I knew to expect it. I was a little surprised at the one moment I mentioned specifically. I fully expect them to have the visuals very tight by finals. Last year's drill was smoking at finals.

I was not thrilled with the Stars losing to SCV by a point.

I know it's probably an accurate spread, given the Stars just changed a lot of their drill and it is still dirty, and I probably should have expected a spread like that, but I got my hopes up too much and set myself up for disappointment.

Honestly I was surprised Blue Stars didn't come closer myself. I figured the dirt in Vanguard's brass balanced out Blue Stars' visual messiness. In terms of music effect, though I like Vanguard's book somewhat better, I think Blue Stars had some great moments and sold the music better, and certainly the dynamics were better.

Looking at the recaps, it looks like the judges did rate Blue Stars' brass and overall music better (Music and Music Effect together save percussion favored Blue Stars by 0.1), but not by as much as the visuals knocked them down (0.85). Percussion accounted for the other 0.25 difference. So I think as Blue Stars cleans, they can make a run at overtaking Vanguard, for sure.

Oh yeah, question for BoyWonder: do you know if there's anything amiss with Blue Stars' speakers? There was some issue during the preshow that the staff addressed, but even after that I thought they sounded fuzzy and noisier than I'd noticed from the other corps.

They seem to have been having problems with their speakers for quite a while now, and I have been hoping they would fix the problem.

Maybe not using them at all would fix the problem?

Oh - and I am very glad about them having a baritone solo play the recorded bassoon part in the middle of the show. They still use the recording in the preshow, and another point during the show, but they at least deleted one of the recorded parts and inserted live music. Kudos to the staff for this!

• Like 1