Drum Corp Equipment

I have always wondered why corps sell their seemingly more than adequate horns and percussion after one or two seasons. I saw that the Bluencoats are selling their horns and pit percussion. I believe there are other corps ( Crossmen is as well). I have seen Crossmens horns up front and they looked in pretty good shape. I can understand if the horns are dented to all hell and the finish is worn in places and what not. Any thoughts on this?

I have always wondered why corps sell their seemingly more than adequate horns and percussion after one or two seasons. I saw that the Bluencoats are selling their horns and pit percussion. I believe there are other corps ( Crossmen is as well). I have seen Crossmens horns up front and they looked in pretty good shape. I can understand if the horns are dented to all hell and the finish is worn in places and what not. Any thoughts on this?

Because they can.

The percussion equipment, at least as far as battery goes, is typically on loan as part of a corps' endorsement deal. Those drums are taken back, reconditioned (they've been very well taken care of), and resold, sometimes at very healthy prices, so it's a win/win for the equipment manufacturer.

Horns are usually purchased as special endorser pricing, then flipped after a couple of years. Given how hard those instruments get used every year, and the harsh conditions they're in every day, it makes sense that the hornlines would prefer to have the newest instruments possible (and their pricing on resale seems to be very reasonable, so they can be great deals for the bands or other corps who buy them).

Edited by mobrien

This is one of the motives behind the switch to Bb, which has been brilliant from a financial perspective.

Since this switch, most world class corps have full sets of new horns every couple of years, which are resold to other groups or school programs (also improving the quality of a lot of other programs out there with matched sets of horns).

Prior to this change, corps went for ages without replacing horns.... many of which were McGyvered together and falling apart. Very few corps had a matched set of horns (several championships were won without a matched set).

Even Star went their ENTIRE run (85-93) on the same set of horns.

• Like 1

Sponsorships. If you're with a company that will either give new instruments, or sell them at a greatly reduced price every year or so, then the corps can sell off the previous set to either make money for new instruments, or to make some money to stay financially solvent.

When a corps used the same set of horns for too long and then tried to sell it, that mismatched, worn-out hornline had little resell value towards buying new ones. Now that they're selling like-new horns they can make enough (I assume)to cover the cost of the new ones.

I remember the Bluecoats used the same contras from about 1993-2002 and the same uniform jackets for a similar span. Is anybody doing a similar thing with uniforms, selling them off regularly to keep their members is new ones?

I agree with DanielRay, this is one of the best things about the change to Bb horns.

I remember some of the horns back in the day....literally held together with duct tape and bandaids! It's great that members can play on quality instruments!

When a corps used the same set of horns for too long and then tried to sell it, that mismatched, worn-out hornline had little resell value towards buying new ones. Now that they're selling like-new horns they can make enough (I assume)to cover the cost of the new ones.

I remember the Bluecoats used the same contras from about 1993-2002 and the same uniform jackets for a similar span. Is anybody doing a similar thing with uniforms, selling them off regularly to keep their members is new ones?

doubtful on the uniforms as they are made alot thinner and lighter than the older ones after a couple years they are pretty beat up.