Judging

70 members have voted

1. 1. Is it fair to average scores for rankings, even though the judges are different?

• Yes, the judges are mostly the same
    • No, it is biased to corps that have a show with an unusually high score
    • No, judges have personal preferences
    • Don't really care. Its not finals yet and it doesn't affect the final outcome

On dci's website, they have rankings based on average scores. Is this fair because not all judges are the same? Or does it not really matter? A corp could be ranked high because a judge really liked their show, or low for the opposite reason.

Edited by azmello96

The great majority of judges have (some or all of these):

1. A background with one or two specific corps.

2. Come from a specific era of Drum Corps, with a completely different background than their peers.

3. A history of interactions, personal/private with admin/design staff of each corps.

4. Socio-personal gains to be made upon the certain placement of corps.

So no, judging isn't fair... and probably never will be completely fair.

• Like 2

The great majority of judges have (some or all of these):

1. A background with one or two specific corps.

2. Come from a specific era of Drum Corps, with a completely different background than their peers.

3. A history of interactions, personal/private with admin/design staff of each corps.

4. Socio-personal gains to be made upon the certain placement of corps.

So no, judging isn't fair... and probably never will be completely fair.

Your opinion - right or wrong. Please explain #4, I don't know what you mean; is there an example of what you mean?

I'm not voting because there's not an appropriate option for me.

I don't think the judging is entirely fair because human beings assign scores subjectively.

Also, the same performance might be perceived different to different judges based on their location on the field or even in the box. For example, if a 3rd baritone fracks or lays out, and the field brass judge isn't there to hear it, does the frack/layout exist? Of course it does. Same with the field percussion judge if he's following the tenor line around on side one, he might not hear some dirt in the bass line on side two or in the front ensemble.

• Like 1

I'm not voting because there's not an appropriate option for me.

I don't think the judging is entirely fair because human beings assign scores subjectively.

Also, the same performance might be perceived different to different judges based on their location on the field or even in the box. For example, if a 3rd baritone fracks or lays out, and the field brass judge isn't there to hear it, does the frack/layout exist? Of course it does. Same with the field percussion judge if he's following the tenor line around on side one, he might not hear some dirt in the bass line on side two or in the front ensemble.

Confusing, but it think I get what you mean, and that is true

Your opinion - right or wrong. Please explain #4, I don't know what you mean; is there an example of what you mean?

This is a real "relationship" I know exists. I've just changed the names, because they are irrellavant.

*names changed*

Bob is a DCI Judge. Bob is on a BOA Staff with Jim. Jim teaches at Bubblegum Corps. Bob and Jim are personal friends and work together when DCI is not in season. Bob feels, subconsciously or otherwises, the urge to help his friend suceed and gives him the benefit of the doubt.

Notice I said "benefit of the doubt"... because I think, as we have seen, corps getting just completely scammed is a rare occurance. I think just about every corps, just about every year, is within one or two places of where they should be... (but that's all subjective to my opinion).

Rankings are pointless. Its hard enough to get a judges panel to be objective at the same show, much less have their numbers in the same ball park for completely different shows in completely different places. Comparing numbers from shows where two corps didn't compete head to head is silly. We'll know better when the regionals start happening. Until then, don't worry about rankings.

Here is another situation I know exists.

Richard is a BOA Program Designer. Phillip is a DCI Judge. Phillip works for Richard's BOA Band when DCI isn't in season. Phillip has an obligation to Richard that doesn't involve the actual execution on the field. If Phillip scores Richard's corps differently than he thinks they should, Phillip may be out of a job.

• Like 2

This is a real "relationship" I know exists. I've just changed the names, because they are irrellavant.

*names changed*

Bob is a DCI Judge. Bob is on a BOA Staff with Jim. Jim teaches at Bubblegum Corps. Bob and Jim are personal friends and work together when DCI is not in season. Bob feels, subconsciously or otherwises, the urge to help his friend suceed and gives him the benefit of the doubt.

Notice I said "benefit of the doubt"... because I think, as we have seen, corps getting just completely scammed is a rare occurance. I think just about every corps, just about every year, is within one or two places of where they should be... (but that's all subjective to my opinion).

Thanks

Here is another situation I know exists.

Richard is a BOA Program Designer. Phillip is a DCI Judge. Phillip works for Richard's BOA Band when DCI isn't in season. Phillip has an obligation to Richard that doesn't involve the actual execution on the field. If Phillip scores Richard's corps differently than he thinks they should, Phillip may be out of a job.

I do believe in conflicts of interests - is there a practical solution; is there so much involvement, judges couldn't be separated from that conflict through scheduling?