Picking the right corp to audition for...

I'm really confused on what i should do. I'm definitely trying out for glassmen because it is relatively close to my home, but what if that doesn't work out? Where should I go? I was looking into corps such as teal sound, Jersey surf, and the colts. The only problem is getting to those places. I live in the Detroit area. I cant really travel too far just for auditions or rehearsals. is there any way a corp will just let me do a video audition and not require an in person one? I could probably travel to the colts but that's like 8 hours of a ride and i wouldn't want to do that unless i knew i had a spot. I'm just kinda confused.

I'm really confused on what i should do. I'm definitely trying out for glassmen because it is relatively close to my home, but what if that doesn't work out? Where should I go? I was looking into corps such as teal sound, Jersey surf, and the colts. The only problem is getting to those places. I live in the Detroit area. I cant really travel too far just for auditions or rehearsals. is there any way a corp will just let me do a video audition and not require an in person one? I could probably travel to the colts but that's like 8 hours of a ride and i wouldn't want to do that unless i knew i had a spot. I'm just kinda confused.

Depending on your experience, and if you're a good marcher, keep your eyes open during the month of spring training/moveins. People always get hurt and sometimes corps run out of alternates. You could be their hero and fill a whole during spring training, and even on tour. Sometimes at shows they will mention a corps looking for someone to fill a hole or post somethign on FB page or even on a forum. Good luck!

Depending on your experience, and if you're a good marcher, keep your eyes open during the month of spring training/moveins. People always get hurt and sometimes corps run out of alternates. You could be their hero and fill a whole during spring training, and even on tour. Sometimes at shows they will mention a corps looking for someone to fill a hole or post somethign on FB page or even on a forum. Good luck!

This is more challenging though if you've never marched drum corps (and marching band experience, while better than nothing is not drum corps experience).

I can play Baritone and Euphonium. I've been playing for 5 years now.

I can play Baritone and Euphonium. I've been playing for 5 years now.

That's great and will help.

I was speaking more about marching and just having drum corps experience. Jumping in to a corps in the spring means playing catch up. Playing catch up when you've never marched in any corps can be extremely challenging.

Contact each corps individually and find out their auditioning procedures. They are all different. Hope this helps.

Most of the Corps' in your area allow video auditions. You're best bet is to just email or send an application to any corps you are interested in and let them know that you are only able to send them a video for your first audition. However, you need to be aware that after one video session if they continue to express interest that it is in your best interest to attend the next and following camps.

i know this doesn't havve much to do with the topic, but i was wondering how you guys took care of your travel needs during the spring camps. i'm in high school and i plan on marching SCVC or BDB next summer, both corps are about a 7-8 hour drive for me. being in high school i have school on fridays and i understand that those weekend camps start friday afternoons. there's no way i can make it all the way over there in time. i was curious how some of you who marched in a corps a far from home were able to make it.