Loudest Drum Corps

I haven't been too exposed to loud corps in person..... but when I listened to Phantom Regiment in the lot this year playing Canon. That was the loudest thing I have heard in my life. I couldn't tell whether the ground was shaking or if I was shaking. I did not expect that wall of sound at all. XD I was so scared I didn't know what to do! Lol! What I find crazier is that when I heard them, I was told that they weren't even close to their loudest!

I haven't been too exposed to loud corps in person..... but when I listened to Phantom Regiment in the lot this year playing Canon. That was the loudest thing I have heard in my life. I couldn't tell whether the ground was shaking or if I was shaking. I did not expect that wall of sound at all. XD I was so scared I didn't know what to do! Lol! What I find crazier is that when I heard them, I was told that they weren't even close to their loudest!

In 89 Phantom Regiment performed with an orchestral group in Kansas City.

The article in the Kansas City Star's review said,

"It was at that moment, I looked around to make sure the audience members were okay. The older people in the crowd were visibly shaken, terrified, and grimaced in pain from the sheer volume of the group. I have never felt more powerless to music in my life."

:worthy:

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 6

In 89 Phantom Regiment performed with an orchestral group in Kansas City.

The article in the Kansas City Star's review said,

"It was at that moment, I looked around to make sure the audience members were okay. The older people in the crowd were visibly shaken, terrified, and grimaced in pain from the sheer volume of the group. I have never felt more powerless to music in my life."

:worthy:

The KC Symphony....wasn't one of the charts they played "Elsa's?" Someone posted a vid of that....tyhe brass line nice and restrained until the baris said "screw it" and unleashed the hounds!!

Not a show moment.... but BD's 84 line DID scare the hell outta Garfield's battery during warmups for finals.

We were arced up outside what I think was the basketball building, doing our thing. At one point Wayne has us play a block chord at ppp, then repeat the chord at pp, then p...you get the idea.

So we start getting into the loud....then after we get to molto blasstissimo Wayne says "747!" (loud), "Earthquake!" (Louder) He then turns and sees Garfield's battery warming up on some tennis courts directly across from us, turns back and says "NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!"

I have never, before or since, played that loudly with such a minimum of distortion. Garfield's people looked up at us with an "oh s###" look on their faces!

Dave Fowler -- who was in their plate line that year (and has my ring) -- told me years later that they knew they were in trouble at that point!

This just made my day! :worthy:

Hawthorne Cabelleros in the late 60's - gotta admit those g-bugles projected the sound right into your head.

(No amps or synthesizers required!) :doh:

Whoever mentioned the first big DCI corps they saw live probably is on right tracks, as I bet many remember their first taste of full horn lines after listening for many years on tape, vinyl or CD more recently!

other notable entries for me that i have heard live:-

BD 1994 and 1995

Good call. BD's 95 encore (Columbus, OH) may have been the loudest thing I've ever heard.

My resume with my butt in the stands goes back to 1979, and I heard all those corps live from that era, regular season, not finals. FYI I heard Spirit 80 live and the Bridgemen, back-to-back. When Bridgemen hit the beginning of the closer "I wish I was in Dixie", that was louder than Spirit. But I was only about 5 rows up, but I could hear 'em both from there. :cool:

And yes, Bridgemen were overblowing BIGTIME with those sops, but still, it was loud.

The KC Symphony....wasn't one of the charts they played "Elsa's?" Someone posted a vid of that....the brass line was nice and restrained until the baris said "screw it" and unleashed the hounds!!

For EVERY drum corps fan this should be required viewing. Do yourself a favor and watch it right now. You'll be glad you did. :cool:

Double post

Edited by wvu80