Calling Current FanNetwork Subscribers

It's about the same quality as last year, but I'm having more problems than last year so far even though I have a 35/35 Fios connection.

DCI could stand to play the "lemonade stand" game on an old computer sometime. They just don't seem to grasp the concept of supply, demand, and price---all having a direct correllation on each other.

They say that Fan Network is expensive because of the PER cost. Do they not realize they could double, if not triple their membership if it is more economically priced? The per cost, would go down... because you have more per(sons) to spread your expenses out on.

They say that Fan Network is expensive because of the PER cost. Do they not realize they could double, if not triple their membership if it is more economically priced? The per cost, would go down... because you have more per(sons) to spread your expenses out on.

Well, I bet their biggest cost is the bandwidth to stream shows, which does grow with each new user. And then they pay something to each corps, and they have to pay royalties on the music.

But, I have no idea how much any of that costs. In terms of your lemonade stand analogy, maybe they raised the price because demand was so *high*. On hot sunny days, you jack the price of your precious lemonade up. There's a sweet spot in there somewhere. It's not true that lower prices always equals more profit. You can't sell at a loss and make it up in volume.

Well, I bet their biggest cost is the bandwidth to stream shows, which does grow with each new user. And then they pay something to each corps, and they have to pay royalties on the music.

But, I have no idea how much any of that costs. In terms of your lemonade stand analogy, maybe they raised the price because demand was so *high*. On hot sunny days, you jack the price of your precious lemonade up. There's a sweet spot in there somewhere. It's not true that lower prices always equals more profit. You can't sell at a loss and make it up in volume.

My "small scope" (probably about 1,000 people)... has seen everyone drop the Fan Network. Not even my own mother does it anymore, and she's a sucker for that kind of stuff.

So based on my small scope, I think the opposite would probably be true.

(DCP is obviously acting up this morning, it posted my post a ridiculous number of times, sorry guys!)

My "small scope" (probably about 1,000 people)... has seen everyone drop the Fan Network. Not even my own mother does it anymore, and she's a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Yeah, the price hike was pretty steep this year. Unfortunately I doubt DCI staffers would share their subscriber numbers or costs with us. Personally, my biggest frustration is just that the Fan Network site overall is basically no different than it was when I first signed up in 2009. And yet, it's obviously worth the money to me. I mean, what's $80? A decent ticket, a fast food meal, and gas money to see a nearby live show. Obviously live is something different, but there's a lot of corps I wouldn't be able to see at all without the Fan Network.

Does anyone know, is Fan Network a DCI thing that they've shared with WGI and BOA or is it a cooperative project or something else? I'm curious who's responsible for the infrastructure and maintenance.

What do you think the biggest value of the Fan Network is? Current-season shows or the historical videos? If bandwidth for geeks like me who watch a lot of older shows is a big part of the cost, then would it be worthwhile for them to make a new price tier that's basically current-season focused? $40 for all streaming shows, all current-year VOD shows, and a few recent years' worth of low-res championship video?

So...I decided to not subscribe to fan network this year for the first time and I'm thinking about purchasing just tonight's webcast of the Minnesota show.

My question for you is how is the quality this year of the webcasts? Have they increased the resolution and/or sound quality?

Thank you in advance!

Granny, don't think me disrespectful to old, senile people who can't remember anything more recent than The Great War, but...HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MARBLES????

This is DRUM CORPS. It's your passion, it's what you live for. What else do you have to do tonight, go to the movie theater and watch Harry Potter? Again?

OF COURSE it's worth the 25 bucks. You spend that much on Geritol in one week. These people who are poo-pooing the sound quality and video are bitter, but they need to upgrade from plugging their Apple II-e's into their televisions. I watch in 1080p and the quality of the picture goes WAY up when you have a good monitor. Then get a 1,000 watt system and a set of Bose speakers like I have. Sound quality problem solved. I know I'm being a bit sardonic here, but I have watched FN on several different computers, and it really does make a difference to have a hi-res screen and decent sound system, or headphones.

Look, do what everyone else does; go down to Walmart this afternoon, buy a laptop and a big screen on credit, watch DCI Minnesota, then return all that junk Monday morning. The Senior Bus runs right by the place ten times a day, they'll pick you up and drop you off right by the front door, no problem.

Granny, I'm expecting you do log into DCP tonight and give us your running commentary on the night's performances. That is, IF you can remember where to find your spectacles, hearing aid, and DCP password. :doh::music::cool:

Edited by wvu80