Something disappointing.

Uh, I think once you're contracted for the season though, past March I believe, you're locked in for the season. You can't just pay off one season, and then go march somewhere else the same summer, (unless you go DCI to DCA). There is a rule in DCI about the contracting, to stop kids from jumping corps mid-season.

The part I boldfaced is not quite correct. If the director of the corps you're committed to releases you, you can move to another corps no matter what day/month it is.

If the kid got cut after a few days of move-ins, that means he wasn't cutting it, didn't do his homework between camps, and the corps has every right to send him off.

But I'm not buying the story that he showed up on the first day of move-in, and was sent packing.

• Like 3

This reminds me of my own experience. My corps was two weeks past move-in before the marching staff realized that we had recruited four French horn players to fill two openings in the line. Imagine moving in, spending several weeks learning drill, and then finding out the interval problems in the first half of the drill were due to 14 people cramming into forms written for 12.

The four of us (three of us being ageouts) were told that two of us would end up as alternates. Wow, did that suck....until 24 hours later, the marching staff decided instead to modify the drill to march us all. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Even if every corps has integrity, every corps also has standards. If a kid isn't operating at the level they need them to, or aren't improving at the expected rate, then the corps has the full right to drop the kid or kids. They have to put a product on the field, and if aren't performing to that level, the corps can't be dragging them along all summer.

I agree with you on this, but every corps' standards are not the same. (Warning: Shameless Pioneer promotion below)

For example, Pioneer's "standard" is that member participation will always come down to attitude, not money, and not necessarily even talent. The member may not get the exact spot they're hoping for (i.e. snare or lead trumpet), but as long as there are spots open in the corps (which of course is generally not an issue with Pioneer) and the member has the right attitude (reflected in their work ethic), they will have a spot. Furthermore, they will work with the member over time to develop their ability to one day secure their dream position (knowing that that doesn't necessarily mean that Pioneer will ultimately reap the benefits of those developed skills). That's one of the reasons why the corps is both special, as well as why they're so well known for "developing" solid drum corps kids.

The down side of that approach, of course, is the retention issue, but that's another topic. However, it's not uncommon for a kid that could easily march virtually anywhere else to live their drum corps career entirely with Pioneer, like 8-year vet/2011 age-out member and Pio drum major Jackie Bilder! She's awesome on so many levels. Over the years, Pioneer has made a home for many a kid that was no longer with another corps... for whatever reason.

From the way the OP told the story, I can't imagine that scenario ever happening at Pioneer. One thing is for certain, they're all about the kids and being a youth development organization first and foremost.

Pioneer plug over... Thanks for listening! :satisfied:

• Like 1

If the kid got cut after a few days of move-ins, that means he wasn't cutting it, didn't do his homework between camps, and the corps has every right to send him off.

But I'm not buying the story that he showed up on the first day of move-in, and was sent packing.

Agreed.

The part I boldfaced is not quite correct. If the director of the corps you're committed to releases you, you can move to another corps no matter what day/month it is.

Really? I had always thought you were locked in past a certain date in the season, my mistake.

I agree with you on this, but every corps' standards are not the same. (Warning: Shameless Pioneer promotion below)

For example, Pioneer's "standard" is that member participation will always come down to attitude, not money, and not necessarily even talent. The member may not get the exact spot they're hoping for (i.e. snare or lead trumpet), but as long as there are spots open in the corps (which of course is generally not an issue with Pioneer) and the member has the right attitude (reflected in their work ethic), they will have a spot. Furthermore, they will work with the member over time to develop their ability to one day secure their dream position (knowing that that doesn't necessarily mean that Pioneer will ultimately reap the benefits of those developed skills). That's one of the reasons why the corps is both special, as well as why they're so well known for "developing" solid drum corps kids.

The down side of that approach, of course, is the retention issue, but that's another topic. However, it's not uncommon for a kid that could easily march virtually anywhere else to live their drum corps career entirely with Pioneer, like 8-year vet/2011 age-out member and Pio drum major Jackie Bilder! She's awesome on so many levels. Over the years, Pioneer has made a home for many a kid that was no longer with another corps... for whatever reason.

From the way the OP told the story, I can't imagine that scenario ever happening at Pioneer. One thing is for certain, they're all about the kids and being a youth development organization first and foremost.

Pioneer plug over... Thanks for listening! :satisfied:

Wow, that is an awesome story. By the standard thing, I meant in terms of DCI, everyone likes to perform their best, right? Even Pioneer, who I love for everything that they do, long live Pio. But I guess that most corps put the competition first, and if some kid just isn't getting the picture, I know some corps will not keep them around. If the kid can't figure out his left foot from his right by mid-July, I know most will either find them a spot in the pit, or just drop them. I know it sounds rough, but in a competitive activity like this, you have to put the best out there....

Something similar to this happened to a friend of mine. He went to (And paid for) the all of the camps....made the corps hornline (last third soprano spot). He received a phone call from the director of the corps less than a week before leaving for tour who told him "You need to try out again for the corps....a veteran from last season wants a spot in the soprano line". After a brief interesting conversation...he told the director to stick it. Kicker is....just two day's prior to this phone call...myself and a couple friends had a surprise send off party for him

This is scary similar to my story....down to the same soprano spot and all!!!! Except I was told during the last winter camp before move in. I didn't complain, I re-auditioned for the spot, rocked the audition and still got canned. It was actually pretty depressing to be honest. BUT, I picked myself up and still marched with the 'lower' corps and learned from the experience. A year after that lower corps passed the 'higher' corps...

I also went on to march with one of the best corps in DCI.

• Like 3