Something disappointing.

Uh, I think once you're contracted for the season though, past March I believe, you're locked in for the season. You can't just pay off one season, and then go march somewhere else the same summer, (unless you go DCI to DCA). There is a rule in DCI about the contracting, to stop kids from jumping corps mid-season.

oh i see what your saying, you would be correct, but im pretty sure its less of a DCI ruling, but more of a "its in the contract" for most corps kinda deal.

No this was at the end of May during move-ins. And yes, there are 2 sides to every story, and I would love to hear how the corps explains it off. But it was lucky he was able to perform with another corps, and I hope he and his friend both have incredible summers. But to any corps staff reading this, please respect the kids enough to contact them BEFORE they leave for move ins. I suppose it could be a situation of the corps finances, and they needed more camp money. Hopefully not, but I suppose there are many reasons this could have happened.

I'm not sure. I can only guess that the kid wasn't contracted, which should have been a red flag....

I think that the corps should give the kids advance warning if they don't have a spot anymore, but I hope it's not that they are that out of money. There are always reasons, but until that kid comes on here for himself, I guess all we'll have is speculation and hearsay, which is too bad. I hope he and his friend have an enjoyable season where ever they ended up marching.

• Like 1

I would like to know what corps have done these crappy things and the underlying circumstances. It is only fair to let people know what happened.

oh i see what your saying, you would be correct, but im pretty sure its less of a DCI ruling, but more of a "its in the contract" for most corps kinda deal.

Ah, I was never really sure. It's come up every year that I marched, so I always assumed it was a DCI rule, but it could just be a corps-by-corps basis. The kid would have to be EXTREMELY well-off though to be able to pay off one DCI tour, then turn around and pay for another one.

I would like to know what corps have done these crappy things and the underlying circumstances. It is only fair to let people know what happened.

It's happened in every corps at one time or another. Not one or the other, every corps has done this at some point.... It's a lame practice, but it does happen in DCI.

Something similar to this happened to a friend of mine. He went to (And paid for) the all of the camps....made the corps hornline (last third soprano spot). He received a phone call from the director of the corps less than a week before leaving for tour who told him "You need to try out again for the corps....a veteran from last season wants a spot in the soprano line". After a brief interesting conversation...he told the director to stick it. Kicker is....just two day's prior to this phone call...myself and a couple friends had a surprise send off party for him

Man that is crap that would happened..I'd be ###### and turn down X corps as well. Not right.

I'd like to hear the other side of the story, but we likely won't. While people do get cut, and sometimes late in the game, I would like to caution against the sweeping generalizations about "this happens all the time". Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean data.

• Like 3

I'd like to hear the other side of the story, but we likely won't. While people do get cut, and sometimes late in the game, I would like to caution against the sweeping generalizations about "this happens all the time". Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean data.

Politics, favoritism, and "string pulling" does happen all the time, that happens in pretty much all activies/jobs, it exists. And while it doesnt happen "all the time" it happens enough to be just plain wrong.

• Like 1

I would too imagine that there's another aspect to the story; Even G8 corps won't "cut" a kid they gave a membership position too unless there is an external reason preventing the corps from letting him march. Also, the busing of him to another corps immediately is suspicious, unless he immediately contacted the corps and got offered a spot somehow. Generally, most corps want to hear you play and watch you march before offering a spot.

I would be less surprised if they told him upon arrival that they moved him to an alternate spot and he refused it. That could happen for several reasons; a vet could want to march, he might not have been keeping up as well with his between camp duties (A few of the G8 corps use SmartMusic), etc...

Edited by ML23
  • Like 1

Very well said. My question about this story is:

“They put him on a bus for one of the lower placing corps a couple of hours away.”

This just doesn’t make sense. How would the G8 corps know where to send him, let alone if they had a spot? Why would he just say "Okey-dokey" and get on the bus and go to the other corps? They just loaded him up on a bus and sent him away? Why would he go without considering other options? Lots of corps have holes they need to fill as the season progresses.

If he was that great it wouldn’t make sense to just throw him out and if he was that great why not call around. I have seen posts on this board looking for people when they get an unexpected hole. Lots of corps lose people, I know. Why not drop a dime and find out if there is a hole in another corps rather than being told by the G8 where to go?

No, sorry just not buying this.

• Like 4