Something disappointing.

Even if every corps has integrity, every corps also has standards. If a kid isn't operating at the level they need them to, or aren't improving at the expected rate, then the corps has the full right to drop the kid or kids. They have to put a product on the field, and if aren't performing to that level, the corps can't be dragging them along all summer.

I think that is balogna. It might be true these days but it certainly was not the case back in the day. Drum corps was a teaching activity first and foremost. In my day you were certainly subjected to auditions, but at some point you were told "congrats, you made it". In my rookie season in SCV that message came it March. From that point forward if you showed up and put in the effort with the right attitude you were golden. The vets and staff would ensure you were pulling your weight. At some point in the process you have to make a decision, provide a commitment to the kid and go with it. If a more talented kid comes along, as tempting as it may be, the right thing to do is to pass.

I don't buy the thought process that this kind of thing is justifiable in some way because it goes both ways and kids can leave the corps in a bind. Of course they can. We are talking about youth. Things change quickly in their lives and sometimes it is out of their control. Sometimes it is fully in their control and they are simpl living up to their maturity level.

That does not provide the corps a license to act similarly.

• Like 1

Even if every corps has integrity, every corps also has standards. If a kid isn't operating at the level they need them to, or aren't improving at the expected rate, then the corps has the full right to drop the kid or kids. They have to put a product on the field, and if aren't performing to that level, the corps can't be dragging them along all summer.

That wasn't what you implied though. And regardless of the reasoning, allowing a kid to get to move-ins without addressing the situation first is unimaginable. So my point stands. If ANY corps is doing this without FIRST giving the kid an explanation, that's wrong. Even if it's just to try and get some movement in a positive direction, you at least be upfront with the kid and give them a chance. There's a difference. And I'm sure there are more than a few who would NOT operate like that.

I think that is balogna. It might be true these days but it certainly was not the case back in the day. Drum corps was a teaching activity first and foremost. In my day you were certainly subjected to auditions, but at some point you were told "congrats, you made it". In my rookie season in SCV that message came it March. From that point forward if you showed up and put in the effort with the right attitude you were golden. The vets and staff would ensure you were pulling your weight. At some point in the process you have to make a decision, provide a commitment to the kid and go with it. If a more talented kid comes along, as tempting as it may be, the right thing to do is to pass.

I don't buy the thought process that this kind of thing is justifiable in some way because it goes both ways and kids can leave the corps in a bind. Of course they can. We are talking about youth. Things change quickly in their lives and sometimes it is out of their control. Sometimes it is fully in their control and they are simpl living up to their maturity level.

That does not provide the corps a license to act similarly.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the poster you responded to is suggesting that if a kid is struggling, that corps have the right to just drop him. His point is that sometimes kids don't pull their weight, and in that case, the corps does have the right to drop them. I can tell you, that I auditioned for a corps that I really cared about marching in at one point. I worked unbelievable hard to make the corps, and was offered a spot. In between camps, I slacked a little knowing that I had a spot. The next camp, the staff let me have it. The camp after that, another guy was there to audition for my spot, and I despite working hard in the time off, I was cut. I don't begrudge the corps for that. I failed to fulfill my commitment to the corps. It taught me never to let up, no matter how happy I am with where I am. Those kinds of lessons are just as much a part of the "teaching activity" mentality as actually learning how to play and march. Now, in this instance, we are operating a pretty serious information famine, so I'm going to do the mature thing and withhold judgement. I'm sure there is more to both sides of the story. At this point, all we really know is, kid A claims he was offered a spot in the corps, corps X decided otherwise. That's really all we have, so it would be pretty premature to make up our minds.

• Like 2

Guh if you guys really need to know specific examples and facts to believe this kinda thing DOES happen, PM me.

Wow, that is an awesome story. By the standard thing, I meant in terms of DCI, everyone likes to perform their best, right? Even Pioneer, who I love for everything that they do, long live Pio. But I guess that most corps put the competition first, and if some kid just isn't getting the picture, I know some corps will not keep them around. If the kid can't figure out his left foot from his right by mid-July, I know most will either find them a spot in the pit, or just drop them. I know it sounds rough, but in a competitive activity like this, you have to put the best out there....

Yeah, I get what you mean about the DCI standards, and I certainly understand it. IMO, the activity has changed to the point where the competitive aspects of what we are have surpassed the "youth development" aspects of who we used to be. I'm not suggesting that there are no youth development priorities embraced by any particular corps, nor am I making a judgment on whether the "competition over service to youth" decision-making reality is good or bad, I'm just implying that it is what it is... seemingly mostly business-based decision-making going on these days due to the intensely competitive nature of things, and the financial benefits of competitive success.

If theyre not giving effort, then yes, its fine for the corps to let someone else try for that spot (maybe they could use one of the alternates that at some corps are just strung along for a dues payment... and then recruited over -but thats an entirely different thread). But imho, if theyve been given a full contract, and theyre giving the effort expected, even if they are struggling, they should not be dropped, even if there is a better candidate. Yes, drum corps is a competitive activity. But its also supposed to be a teaching activity, and even more importantly, is almost a second family to a lot of people at most corps.

When theyve paid the corps all offseason, and the corps told them they had a spot as long as they pulled their weight (gave the effort), if the corps drops them after they've contracted them to a full position for no other reason than someone better came along, they owe them their dues, their camp fees, and some money for all the wasted travel expenses they made once they committed to the corps in a contract, as that commitment should go both ways.

Edited by AlexL

I would add commitment is NOT a one way street.

• Like 1

I'm sure there may be parts of the story that may be true. I'm sure there are pieces we are missing too.

these days, to get the competitive edge, I rule little out, but I also know to check facts from both sides, divide by 2 and you have the best version of the truth possible

• Like 2

There can be a multiple of issues why something doesn't work out with an individual marching with the corps of their choice. Many issues can come up last minute and as a result the individual does not march in that corps. If a corps hasn't explained the reason with the individual than shame on them. Also, if the individual hasn't communicated effectively with the corps about any issues than shame on them.

I have observed individuals go home the day before the first show. This is something that the individual and the corps should come to some sort of resolution. As far as the rest of us it is none of our business.