Lebanon Leisure Lounge

me being the old brass nerd i am, i checked out the recaps from the show like i always do, something doesn't make sense, crown's brass jumped a point from the regional this past weekend and, blue stars' brass dropped a point and a half from the regional, i sense something a little sketchy here... green shirt consistency is lacking this season...? maybe or maybe this was justified by whatever happened at the show yesterday..? any fans that were there care to help me out?

me being the old brass nerd i am, i checked out the recaps from the show like i always do, something doesn't make sense, crown's brass jumped a point from the regional this past weekend and, blue stars' brass dropped a point and a half from the regional, i sense something a little sketchy here... green shirt consistency is lacking this season...? maybe or maybe this was justified by whatever happened at the show yesterday..? any fans that were there care to help me out?

If the green shirts were being consistent from show to show it would pretty clearly indicate that they were reading recaps. Which is bad... it causes slotting.

I don't think you can put too much stock in the absolute number. A lot depends on factors like what other corps are there and what performance order is followed, how many corps have gone before and how many are still coming up and how many other shows the judges involved have seen this season.

Maybe Crown had a good night last night and Blue Stars had a bad one. Best I can tell this brass judge had not judged another show this season so far, so he may not have been familiar with the material, which could well lead him to miss some things that more familiar judges found positive and negative with each corps.

Also, consider that according to the Field Pass podcasts and various statements by Michael Cesario, DCI has been pushing the judges to judge more carefully what's on the field that night and not to take into consideration recent placements. Every corps has good and bad performances. It's not realistic to expect that their scores over three days should show a slowly-rising straight line.

my review of the show is over on the review page......but i wanted to follow up with a few of Tony's comments (pretty spot on)

SCV - However just not the show that can break into the top-5. Smokin drum line (as well they should). The end builds and builds and builds to an amazing climax.

I agree, their ballad was good too.......Their drums were doing cool stuff all show......don't ask me to describe, just cool moves with sticks (eh, i'm a horn players)

Blue Stars - Loud, very loud and really good. Musically they are awesome, need to clean the visuals and the drill. Has upper bottom 6 potential...6-8 not out of reach. Smoking ending. AGREED

Crown - RACH'd THE HOUSE!!! They were smokin hot from pre-show to the time they left the field. The crowd ate it up. Lots of cheese? yes! but get me some Premium Saltines 'cause I am eating it up. Front to Back out standing. AGREED

Phantom Regiment - Beautiful...emotional...magnificent. Some intonation issues on the opening solo's and trumpet line issue in the middle 1/3 of the show (just before Elsa)...OH, ELSA...I nearly had tears in my eyes...by finals I my be in tears. May not be top 3, but will have the hearts of the crowd. Beautiful and elegant, very good music, I had welled up a couple of times, but i'm an alum!)

Cavaliers - It's like they try to hard to wow, kind of like an X games event. Those were the words I was searching for......I thought it was good, not great.

For my money, and my family, we liked Phantom, Crown, and Blue Stars the best.

I thought the venue was pretty good, a great atmosphere, people everywhere, corps on the quad.......so glad DCI was back in STL. PLEASE COME BACK!

You are pretty much spot on with your comments. It was a really good show and I also enjoyed Crown, Blue Stars, and Phantom Regiment. I think the Blue Stars have potential to move up; they're so good and they need to step up their game.

I also agree with someone saying the venue could have been larger. I wish next year's show could be in Alton or Lindenwood University in St. Charles.