** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

And how about your suggestions to get NE corps to travel outside of their region, Tom? You got any?

Here's one.

Why not have the corps in the outside-the-NE-area band together and off-set the travel costs for a corps like Bucs or Statesmen? Make it more financially viable, and they will come.

• Like 1

The east coast powers that be held off for as long as they could from expansion hoping new corps in the NE would spring up to help counter the growth of corps taking place outside of the NE. That way, they could keep control over DCA by sheer numbers if nothing else.

What? How, EXACTLY, did the NE corps stifle the creation of new corps? This is the most ridiculous statement in this thread since the OP.

Here's one.

Why not have the corps in the outside-the-NE-area band together and off-set the travel costs for a corps like Bucs or Statesmen? Make it more financially viable, and they will come.

Yeah, right!

How many east coast corps have done this over the last ten years?

Rice

Yeah, right!

How many east coast corps have done this over the last ten years?

Rice

How many east coast corps have subsidized travel for an out of area corps? Probably none (don't know that for sure), but there's no need to. But if you want the big boys to come to your area, open the wallet. They'll come. Just ask Winston-Salem.

The onus here isn't on the Northeast corps, it's on the rest. You want them at your show? Make it happen. Money talks, and bullcrap walks. Make the NE corps WANT to come to your show.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

What? How, EXACTLY, did the NE corps stifle the creation of new corps? This is the most ridiculous statement in this thread since the OP.

I didn't say that, you said that.

I said, "The east coast powers that be held off for as long as they could from expansion hoping new corps in the NE would spring up to help counter the growth of corps taking place outside of the NE".

Proof:

How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years?

How many of those shows had NE corps performing in them?

How many more years will it take before NE corps make an effort to travel to a show outside of their region in an effort to help the expansion of DCA?

Doesn't sound to me like the NE corps are too interested in helping the expansion of DCA on a nation scale.

Rice

Edited by rwrice

I didn't say that, you said that.

I said, "The east coast powers that be held off for as long as they could from expansion hoping new corps in the NE would spring up to help counter the growth of corps taking place outside of the NE".

No, you misunderstand. It's not the NE corps responsibility to create corps outside the NE. Conversely, I don't believe they've done anything to stop it, quite the contrary. They've changed the rules so non-NE regions can be judged on DCA sheets and receive DCA scores. That's not exactly "holding off expansion" now, is it?

The Winston Salem show had all kinds of out-of-area corps in it. It was also a show that helped with travel costs for those corps. We'll never know how successful it could have been had the weather not been Ernesto-awful.

You seem to want to be handed a NE corps at your out of area show. Doesn't work that way. If you really want one, MAKE IT HAPPEN. Don't sit back and whine because they won't play ball at your house. You play ball at theirs until you can make yours worth traveling to. Period. Sounds harsh? Maybe it is, but it's true. Ask any new Division 1 college football team. Look at how long it takes for new Div 1 programs to get a major player to come to their home field.

I'm not saying NE corps shouldn't travel if they want to. I am saying they shouldn't compromise their financial stability to do it.

Edited by Kamarag

How many east coast corps have subsidized travel for an out of area corps? Probably none

Exactly.

But if you want the big boys to come to your area, open the wallet. They'll come. Just ask Winston-Salem.

Someone has to pay you people to do the right thing? If you people are truly interested in seeing DCA expand as you say then I think it's your wallets that needs to be opened for a change. We've had ours opened for a long time now with travel expenses, remember?

The onus here isn't on the Northeast corps, it's on the rest. You want them at your show? Make it happen. Money talks, and bullcrap walks. Make the NE corps WANT to come to your show.

If the east coast corps were truly interested in the expansion of DCA as they claim they are, they would do it willingly. They shouldn't have to be "paid off" to assist in helping the development of an organization they claim to care so much about.

Your comments only further my beliefs that I'm correct about who truly wants to see DCA expand nationwide.

Rice

• Like 1

Financially not sure many if any corps can travel very far today ,cost of buses and gas is killing everyone .And has taken a toll on all drum corps .Money for gas to get to rehersal and back most corps don't reherse in your back yard .Alot of the corps charge memmbers money to ride the buses today.Not easy any more to belong to this hobby ,used to be you walked to rehersal .Corps paid for the bus ,and if you had a nice driver you took up a collection for them.Not the same world most of us grew up in .I would guess to say most corps try for DCA championships .That there claim to fame ,but to go traveling every weekend like we used to ,thoses days are gone .

(snip)

I'm not saying NE corps shouldn't travel if they want to. I am saying they shouldn't compromise their financial stability to do it.

Agreed.

However, as you say, if they want to travel they should do it. If not for the competition at least do it for the common good of the organization.

How about those questions in the post, Kamarag?

How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years?

How many of those shows had NE corps performing in them?

How many more years will it take before east coast corps make an effort to travel to a show outside of their region in an effort to help the expansion of DCA?

Rice

Edited by rwrice
  • Like 1