** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

Taking a look at the 2011 lineup of open class DCA corps -- It made me realize that it's a good thing that DCA expanded past the East Coast. Otherwise, there would only be five open class corps this year. In fact, the majority of DCA open class corps are from outside the East Coast now. Is this a first?

Check it out -

Alliance

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

CorpsVets

Empire Statesmen

Hurricanes

Kilties

Minnesota Brass

Renegades

Tampa Bay Thunder

p.s. This post is not a criticism of anyone or anything. Just pointing out something that surprised me when I saw the list on the DCA website.

Edited by drumlaw80
  • Like 3

Excellent observation, a list of open class corps no longer active would also serve to highlight the reality of the current state of DCA.

p.s. This post is not a criticism of anyone or anything. Just pointing out something that surprised me that ouy won't on the DCA website

Never thought I'd see it..... Interesting that MBI is the only corps outside the Northeast that was around BITD. (Yeah, the Kilties but they were Jr then.)

As a Northeastern guy who can remember when Harrisburg, PA was the southern edge of DCA (after Baltimore folded) I think it's great.... Just feel bad for the corps that are gone....

:worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There are only 5 of 12 Class A Corps as well.

Just sayin,

Thanks, I was wondering that myself..... could you post that list too? I'm interested in the breakdown of old and new corps. Off the top of my head only Govies and White Sabers have long histories. And Govies just started doing DCA about 10 years ago and think WS had been inactive for quite a while.

I'm a bit confused?? Are you saying that prior to this "expansion" DCA refused corps outside of the "east coast"? Not Criticizing, just wondering what you meant by your "non-critisizing" statement... :lookaround:

1974 DCA Prelims (from Corpsreps):

VERY eastern (and only three still competing in open)

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 82.050 (still competing)

2 Reading Buccaneers 81.400 (still competing)

3 New York Skyliners 80.950

5 Connecticut Hurricanes 75.300 (still competing)

6 Rhode Island Matadors 70.400

7 Yankee Rebels 69.200

8 Guelph Royalaires 63.600

9 Long Island Sunrisers 62.900 (back to competition in Class A)

10 Erie Thunderbirds 59.150

11 Hanover Lancers 54.850

12 Emmaus Sentinels 54.300

13 Hamburg Kingsmen 52.850

14 Boys of 76 48.750

15 Westshoremen Bonnie Scots 41.000

Missing 4th (Rochester Crusaders ????.....finished 4th at finals)

Joe Dz in NJ

Edited by JoeDz

LOL, 1974 was my first DCA... yep Cru is missing, "Bonnie Scots" was not part of the corps name then and got to meet some Boys of 76 members.

Us: "Wow... you came whole way from Wisconsin?"

Them: "Wow... we actually beat you guys?"

Hmmm.... southern border was Baltimore, western was Racine (last DCA trip for them) and northern was (SOUTH) Ont.

And back then, full DCA members (top 10) had to host a DCA show and I think make two DCA shows during the season. IOW - any corps outside of the Northeast really thought twice about trying for DCA and getting big bus bills.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

What I would like to see, is more corps pop up in areas where there are DCA corps already. Like a couple more in North Carolina, or Georgia or California, so that our existing corps could have more local shows. That would be great.

I'm a bit confused?? Are you saying that prior to this "expansion" DCA refused corps outside of the "east coast"? Not Criticizing, just wondering what you meant by your "non-critisizing" statement... :lookaround:

• Like 1

What I would like to see, is more corps pop up in areas where there are DCA corps already. Like a couple more in North Carolina, or Georgia or California, so that our existing corps could have more local shows. That would be great.

Totally agree.