** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

you do realize DCA makes provisions for some of those shows to be counted when at DCI shows right?I mean otherwise Gades would be screwed.

What you want is, IMO, unrealistic, because if a corps budget does not allow for said travel, it takes them out of championships. In fact, what you;'re suggesting is akin to, ain a small way, what many say DCI used to kill off smaller corps...the demand to travel.

Please re-read my post: "Require that all DCA corps participate in at least one show outside of their region in order to be "allowed" to participate in the championship show. This would help grow the organization on a nationwide scale and establish a fan base outside of the NE. Unfortunately, this puts additional travel requirements on some non-NE corps (California) and further aggravates an already unfair financial arrangement."

"Or, DCA could single out the NE corps as a group and require that only they travel outside of their region for at least one show per year due to the fact that all other DCA corps have to travel to their region once a year for the championships. However, I think I already know how that would be received."

I've clearly pointed out two options here. I'll admit neither one is the perfect fix for the problem, but at least I'm trying to comeup with something, anything for Christ's sake to get the NE corps to put out an effort at least to meet the other corps halfway.

Replies like, "The onus here isn't on the Northeast corps, it's on the rest. You want them at your show? Make it happen. Money talks, and bullcrap walks. Make the NE corps WANT to come to your show," simply isn't helping anything other than continuing to make the NE corps look uninterested in lifting a finger to help improve anything.

In case you haven't noticed, some DCA corps have traveled out of their region from time to time. But, I think the NC fiasco of 2005 may have scared them off,and in this economy, I do not blame them.

How often though, Jeff?

See...what you demand as proof is actually quite opposite asto what DCA and the corps have decided needs to be done. Why? Unlikeyou, they actuallyunderstand the economicsof what it takes to keep their corps feasible and running.

I already addressed this above.

Maybe, just maybe, DCA knows what it's doing in this regard. Why?

I went down to the NC show. despite all the hype, and God knows there was hype, the show ####### bombed. at $40 a ticket, you aren't going to draw in the casual fan. Then add in the cost of a major university stadium. Um....anyone make money on the deal??

Not even close. And if you lose money, youdon't have funds to try again.

So sure, have your demands. They are financially unrealistic in todays environment. After all, MBI was cracking the top 5 long before they came in to shows during the regular season. Govies have won how many A titles without ever coming in before Labor Day? Renegades made a serious run at the top for a few years despite having nothing out there?

That's great stuff, Jeff but what does this have to do with getting the NE corps to travel outside of their region?

All I'm reading in this is again more proof that the corps outside of the NE region are trying as hard as they can to help you guys build up your organization.

How about writing something up about all those NE corps who in the last ten years have traveled outside the NE region?

The need to travel is, IMO far over rated today. DCA has done a lot to work withand help the regions. Remember DCA isn't some corporation with an office and support staff....after modest expenses, all money goesback to the corps themselves.

I agree. A mandate for corps to travel is not the answer as I've already pointed out above. However, when a show is only three hundred miles away from you and you post on DCP pubicly that you are interested in helping DCA to grow on a national scale, don't you think you owe it to the organization to attend that show?

I don't see how anyone could argue this.

Rice

Edited by rwrice

:ph34r:

OK boys, let's play nice. PLEASE ??

To all of you on both sides of the questions, Jeff has been closest to correctly bringing the right issues to bear.

:bleah:

:tongue:

Since I've started marching, the last time there were "DCA Name Corps" in my part of the world was the '75 Legion show here in Minneapolis..The closest any of the top level DCA corps have come since then was the show in Madison in '99 that was held in conjunction with DCI..The Renegades coming to DeKalb in 04 was the only other time.

Doing anything like what has been suggested is like any other 'investment', a business operation and would need to be planned and marketed like one. But IT WILL TAKE CREATIVITY AND COMPROMISE from ALL corps helping to fund the circuit and it's future..in order to pull it off.

I can only give you MY SINGULAR OPINION as to a possible plan..we here in the Upper Midwest have tried any number of times to put on an upscale show..The closest we ever got was the 1, 2 or even 3 "Drum Beauty" shows that packed virtually every venue in which they were held. Bigger shows became a near impossibility after the idiots running the city decided to raze the grandstands at Parade Stadiumm in addition to other 'artsy' additions to that part of Downtown.

Sure we had the Humpty-dome, but even the locals who wanted drum corps wouldn't support a show indoors.

NOW - that has been altered forever by the presence of the new facility at the U of M.

Those 2 shows have shown that our area can put together a pretty good show..BUT it will still be a big undertaking to draw even the old school fans to a show to see corps they may have only heard about from the locals who have been there or heard on a record or the even more rare video..

DCA has made GIANT strides in branding and marketing its product in the last few years, and this forums is another method of doing so..but it's only part of the project. Regardless of who has the title, it behooves one or more of the established "name" DCA corps that remain to give consideration to a trip to a show outside the NE on some kind of basis that will help to SELL the product in those new markets. I'm not saying that anyone should put themselves in any amount of financial staits or risks in order to do it, just that put some heads together to see about having a show in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida or one of any number of venues in the Midwest.

If corps are working to market themselves as new and upcoming DCA corps, it can't hurt to have help from everyone. Gil Silva and the DCA board have come a long way in helping..it needs a kick in the butt to keep it going.

To Jeff and those victims of that Chicago snafu: As big as Chi-town is - "Sr." Corps has had a dicey existence at best. That show was doomed from the outset..sorry folks..just giving MY OPINION. And the world has changed since then..

not gonna disagree about Chicago or Dayton on the way back. But hey, we did it to be good sports. Imagine that, big bad evil NE corps doing something for the team

Time for some teleconferencing and brainstorming.. the idea of 1 show outside the regular area needs to be hashed out..I'm SURE there are enough intelligent business minds in the community that even one or 2 ideas can be tried w/o breaking the bank or member corps..Folks may have to help fundraise in numerous ways to put something together.

OK - off my rant.

Running and hiding now :innocent:

Pat

You touched upon something I expounded upon...to make a difference, the area has to know drum corps, and more than that, something of DCA. Right now, Atlanta or your area would make the most sense because fans there are learning about DCA corps. Running off to Western NC, where no one knows DCA would not be a good idea. or texas. hell they couldn't even sell out the DCI shows there this year

Yeah, what he said!

Hey old guys - I think the only reason this thread hasn't been pruned and prettied up is that it needed to go where it did. But please, argue passionately but smartly, no personal stuff, etc, etc,...you know the drill, m'kay?

:bleah:

It all comes down to what Kamarag spewed: "The onus here isn't on the Northeast corps, it's on the rest. You want them at your show? Make it happen. Money talks, and bullcrap walks. Make the NE corps WANT to come to your show."

Yeah, real nice attitude towards those poeple you are trying so hard to help, Kamarag!

Rice

he's right howver. Renegades didn't come in for free when they came in to NC or DeKalb. So, make an offer an NE corps can't refuse. MBI has come in the last 3 years, and they obviously had an offer good enough to make it worthwhile

Would it not make more sense to have a DCA East, South, Midwest and West as opposed to trying to copy what DCI does? For a weekend activity, especially in this economy, one major trip a year is more than enough, and way more than some corps can afford. So regionalize it. Build the 4 circuits, with the winners (top 3, whatever) getting prize money/subsidies to travel to a championships.

Looking at the audiences that attend the shows, especially the average age and direct corps association, however, I think DCA has a bigger problem than "XXX corps travels and XXX corps does not". Taking this last show as an example, who wants to take their family to a 100 degree stadium, paying $25+ a ticket, to see 5 competing corps and a few exhibitions? What's the marketing scheme and who's the target audience? THOSE questions are more important to the health of DCA, not who can or should travel where... Bucs can go on a nationwide tour every year, and the fundamnetal problems will still exist. Fix those problems, grow a true fan base for the activity instead of parents and vets, and the rest will handle itself.

genius...kind of like DCA's approach

this has to be among the most laughable thing I've seen on here in the 9 years DCP has been running.

You think DCA wasn't thrilled when Renegades first came in? They brought a buzz to DCA not seen in years. Then look how their growth fostered more growth to where 26 corps showed up in 2005!! Hell, one year Renegades were a penalty away from top 4.

You just killed your own argument inside your argument

What does this statement have to do with getting the NE corps to travel outside of the NE region in order to help with the growth of DCA?

Rice

let's see...GA has been having them, MN has been havin some, I think MCL had one, Florida had some this year,

And how many NE corps attended those shows in GA., MN., or FL?

I mean dude, this isn't gonna happen overnight. Even the corps agree on this. Trustme, if this power play was as insidious as you say, we would have heardfrom more than people tied to one corps claiming it.

I'm not the only person trying to get the NE corps to get more involved outside of their region, Jeff. You know that.

Rice

What does this statement have to do with getting the NE corps to travel outside of the NE region in order to help with the growth of DCA?

Rice

I think you and Shadow7 both graduated from the "School of Circular Arguments."

Around and around they go... where they stop, nobody knows. :tongue: