Drum Corps Fire Hazard...

I'm not sure if they are still around, but back in my day we had these things called books. I could spend hours with them on the road.

Didn't have to charge them. Didn't take batteries. Never got stolen, and everyone would trade them around when they finished.

I read books on my iPad, which can hold about 10,000 of them.

Times change.

Edited by jts5032
  • Like 5

There are a number of camps and programs for youth where mobile phones are not allowed. This is a good thing.

If you had corps telling kids you couldn't bring mobile phones on tour... you wouldn't see any change in membership.

I know people volunteering and give updates on the corps and post pictures. In your ancient time when electronics.were the devil this wouldn't be able to happen. My grandma passed away last week and if I was marching I would never have found out till august. You know how ###### I would be to find out a month after it happened.

Every corps has an emergency contact # so family can reach a member in case of emergency. I marched with at least two people who had to leave tour to tend to family emergencies back home. This was in the 80's and 90's. You would of known if you gave your family the contact info.

It is my understanding that circuits are designed to trip at 80% of their potential capacity - and that most building outlets are wired in series, meaning that there may be multiple outlets being serviced by a single breaker. So when considering the total amount of 'drain' on the circuit you may actually be approaching the max if everyone plugs in to every visible outlet, which may add to other things already powered up in the room.

also, most buildings aren't wired to residential standards - I don't think you will find a 'legal' 15 amp circuit in a gym, unless it was installed for only one purpose. most will be 20 or more.

Thanks for the additional info. I do know some things, but I don't know everything.

I know plenty of Cavies over the years that have had cell phones on tour. They just keep it on the DL. :ph34r:

Yep.

Similar things happened the one year BStars tried a no cell policy.(it only lasted one year)

I'm not sure if they are still around, but back in my day we had these things called books. I could spend hours with them on the road.

Didn't have to charge them. Didn't take batteries. Never got stolen, and everyone would trade them around when they finished.

I'm not sure if they are still around, but back in my day we had these things called books Boyfriends/Girlfriends. I could spend hours with them on the road.

Didn't have to charge them. Didn't take batteries. Never sometimes got stolen, and everyone would trade them around when they finished.

FTFY

• Like 2

I know people volunteering and give updates on the corps and post pictures. In your ancient time when electronics.were the devil this wouldn't be able to happen. My grandma passed away last week and if I was marching I would never have found out till august. You know how ###### I would be to find out a month after it happened.

In my ancient time... we had email, we even had the web browser. ;-)

But, there really is something that changes in your head when you stop depending on technology.

I'll put it like this...

When I as a kid, I transferred to Juilliard to study composition. It was something of a shock to me the old geezer professors we had and how set they were in their ways and how much disdain they had for technology. In the entire school at that time, there was ONE computer that students could use and it simply held the catalog of what could possibly be available for interlibrary loan.

Most professors forbid the use of computers, even for writing papers. I remember scrambling around the city looking for old typewriters because that was all one professor would allow us, because he thought computers made you weak and non-committal in your positions, that the inconvenience of a typewriter and the hassle of retyping a page would force you to more clearly define and commit to your thoughts before you put them on paper. As much as I complained, looking back, he was absolutely right.

In theory and composition class, it was even worse... everything had to be handwritten. With one professor, if you were ever suspected of using a computer then copying by hand, it was an automatic fail. He would take your work and give you a clean sheet and ask you to rewrite, right there. His argument is that composers should actually compose, not organize neat segments of sound like it was a floral arrangement. If you can't write it cold, out of your head.... with PEN and paper.. you are not a composer, but simply a florist.

I respected the guy, but the arrogant kid I was though he was ancient... behind the times... a has been. What had he done lately?

He was in poor health, so, rarely came to class that year... day to day assignments were administered and many lectures taught by his assistant, while he was resting in Florida. He'd just show up occasionally to rant, tear up papers and ramble on about how weak our generation was becoming... and question how could we create music if we were expecting computers to think for us. At the time, I thought the guy was crazy, just an old fragile man who was simply as afraid of technology as I was of him. It was around this time that the unibomber manifesto was published in the newspapers. We sort of joked about it being him.

He actually died during that semester... suddenly... a very strange experience. Looking back on it, he was not only right in absolutely everything (technology is only valuable to assist with the trivial, and only after a decision has already been made), he wasn't doing this because he looked down on our generation or thought his was better or his generation's way of doing things was best... he simply wanted the absolute best for us... and believed technology was a distraction. I do owe a lot to the guy... Morton Gould, the ancient, brilliant technophobe. :-)

To say that technology only assists with trivial things is absolutely ignorant. There is seriously no other way to describe it.

Most professors forbid the use of computers, even for writing papers. I remember scrambling around the city looking for old typewriters because that was all one professor would allow us, because he thought computers made you weak and non-committal in your positions, that the inconvenience of a typewriter and the hassle of retyping a page would force you to more clearly define and commit to your thoughts before you put them on paper. As much as I complained, looking back, he was absolutely right.

I'm sure Juilliard really cares about its students' ability to write papers.

Hint: no one intelligent will teach you to write by saying "make sure you are 100% clear in your head with what you are going to say, and only then start writing."