Men Without Hats

So, seen pretty much everyone this season on the Fan Network. One thing that sticks out is the amount of choreography that the musicians are doing.

This type of choreography is becoming much more pervasive, extensive and complex than in years past... I really dig it.

There is one thing that sort of bothers me about it, though, which I actually noticed with Blue Devils... particularly when they are bending down to move the white columns (I guess it was the white plumes that highlighted it)...

Shakos simply don't work anymore with this kind of movement. As soon as you break a certain point in the plane, shakos seem extremely awkward and distracting.

I went back and watched their 2010 victory run... the one they did without shakos... it was a much greater performance without. I loved the way the performers were engaging with the audience and the cameras and how their movements felt much less constrained. I wish they always performed like that... a lot more fun and interesting to watch.

What I am getting at, and what I wonder is if the shako and other sorts of headgear like this has really run its course? Without this sort of artificial barrier limiting planes of movement, what other sorts of options for choreography could be explored? What could be possible without this need to continually keep the top of the head straight and upright?

Drum corps is long past its military roots... and it seems that it is now hitting a sort of wall in terms of what is possible in pseudo-military costume. Remove this one simple aspect and a whole new realm of possibility opens up.

I think it is definitely time for the activity to jump into a new approach toward costuming... head first.

I think part of the problem is plumes today seem to be larger than ever, therefore exagerating things in a more noticable way

Ugh, i thought this thread was going to be about the Safety Dance....Which i am writing drill for as we speak (yeah...HS band jobs....)

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of plumes, is there a reason Cadets' demons have smaller plumes than the angels? Or is it an optical illusion?

Wait...what' a plume?

Plum.jpg

Edit: Wait, my bad. I misread the question. Here's your answer.

log+flume+ride.JPG

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

While we're on the subject of plumes, is there a reason Cadets' demons have smaller plumes than the angels? Or is it an optical illusion?

I think they are the same size, at least they looked the same when they walked by in twos. It could just be that the maroon looks smaller on the field than the white?

I think they are the same size, at least they looked the same when they walked by in twos. It could just be that the maroon looks smaller on the field than the white?

From where I sit, the maroon plumes don't look as full and fluffy as the white plumes. And that's the last time I'm ever going to use the phrase "full and fluffy" to describe anything in drum corps...at least in public.

From where I sit, the maroon plumes don't look as full and fluffy as the white plumes. And that's the last time I'm ever going to use the phrase "full and fluffy" to describe anything in drum corps...at least in public.

The white were free-range chickens.

Haha, I never thought I'd see you write those words.... But I'm not sure on the plumes. Maybe George could pop in and answer the question? Not sure what the point would be of ordering them a different size would be though....