Length of time brass actually play?

Just curious - what is the average length of time that the brass actually play in a typical show? I watched from fan network download. The Cavis show is 11:40 the brass play 8:01. The Cadets show is 12:48, the brass play 7:30. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Which suggests another question. Should there be a minimum time? Why or why not?

I believe I just created a thread within a thread, but still in the same concept.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Which suggests another question. Should there be a minimum time? Why or why not?

I believe I just created a thread within a thread, but still in the same concept.

Garry in Vegas

Interesting question. It was just so noticeable in the Cadets show that I had to pull out the stopwatch.

Interesting question. It was just so noticeable in the Cadets show that I had to pull out the stopwatch.

If you want your mind blown, pull up BD from the last two years..... :devil:

But yeah, between 7 and 9 minutes is pretty normal. Especially if corps use the old show structure or opener, ballad, drum solo, closer. Or opener, fast tune, ballad, drum solo, closer. Which would mean about 2 to 4 minutes of the show will be occupied by drums, not to mention any quick features during the other tunes.

• Like 1

If you want your mind blown, pull up BD from the last two years..... :devil:

But yeah, between 7 and 9 minutes is pretty normal. Especially if corps use the old show structure or opener, ballad, drum solo, closer. Or opener, fast tune, ballad, drum solo, closer. Which would mean about 2 to 4 minutes of the show will be occupied by drums, not to mention any quick features during the other tunes.

If you take a look at the 70's brasslines' time actually played well, it was 0 minutes :ph34r: Oh wait, wrong thread :tongue:

• Like 6

I am assuming that when you timed these, you counted times when any brass player was playing as "the brass was playing." To get an accurate measurement of how much brass playing is going on during a show, you would need to count every second that each and every player was playing. I guess this would be possible with the score. So just because the Cavaliers played for 31 seconds longer than the Cadets, doesn't mean they collectively play more. Actually from my knowledge of the shows, I think there is a little more solo and sectional playing in the Cavaliers' show where with the Cadets, when the brass plays, it is usually all together.

I am assuming that when you timed these, you counted times when any brass player was playing as "the brass was playing." To get an accurate measurement of how much brass playing is going on during a show, you would need to count every second that each and every player was playing. I guess this would be possible with the score. So just because the Cavaliers played for 31 seconds longer than the Cadets, doesn't mean they collectively play more. Actually from my knowledge of the shows, I think there is a little more solo and sectional playing in the Cavaliers' show where with the Cadets, when the brass plays, it is usually all together.

That is a good point. Is he counting only ensemble playing, or solo/small ensemble work? That could extend any show time, since pretty much every show has some solos or small ensemble stuff.

Overtime penalty? What's the limit now? Is it 12:30?

HH

Um, you have either 15 or 17 minutes on and off the field. No limit on show length, especially with the pre-shows added in.