Cadets Assault with Thunderous Goo

I appreciate what you are saying Mondo and agree the kids work their hearts out as they have every year from time immemorial, but please ask yourself, is there a point in the future where one last change would be the spark that might drive you away from the activity? Would woodwinds do it? Laser light shows?

Perhaps you're up for anything, but most people have a line they are not willing to cross. Mine was electronics and I saw my last DCI show 6 years ago because of it (I have still gone to local open class shows to support those corps, and a few DCA shows in that time). Judging from the comments I've seen on DCP and the conversations I've had with drum corps folks from a few generations, I'm not alone. "Stupid" is the adjective I seem to hear most when electronics are discussed.

I'm giving it one more chance but I have to be honest, I'm a little skeptical. I'm trying to go in with an open mind.

With all due respect, you've missed some great performances.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 4

I appreciate what you are saying Mondo and agree the kids work their hearts out as they have every year from time immemorial, but please ask yourself, is there a point in the future where one last change would be the spark that might drive you away from the activity? Would woodwinds do it? Laser light shows?

Perhaps you're up for anything, but most people have a line they are not willing to cross. Mine was electronics and I saw my last DCI show 6 years ago because of it (I have still gone to local open class shows to support those corps, and a few DCA shows in that time). Judging from the comments I've seen on DCP and the conversations I've had with drum corps folks from a few generationsthe arts are dying and we need to support heal, I'm not alone. "Stupid" is the adjective I seem to hear most when electronics are discussed.

I'm giving it one more chance but I have to be honest, I'm a little skeptical. I'm trying to go in with an open mind.

Grandpa i appreciate your comments and i love music and if your a traditionalist hard corps drum corps fan well then maybe the changes arent for you. I also would like to say that if it bothers you that much try and look at it in a different way. These kids are the future and we need to support them. It would be nice to put our differences aside and help support these kids. What ever decision you make i hope your happy and finally I want to remind you that DCP and other talk is just talk and you need to decide for yourself.

• Like 2

I was at the San Antonio contest over the weekend and at the Dallas contest last night. It wasn't a problem at all in my opinion.

I really believe it has a lot to do with the mic placement for the Fan Network.

Same here, it was not NEARLY as bad in person, just watched the FN videos after getting back from the actual event. The pits and synth are all pretty overpowering in all the vids on the FN compared to in person. I am pretty sure it's the mike placement. So let's calm down...............

With all due respect, you've missed some great performances.

I'm sure that's true, but what I heard in those last couple of years just didn't make it worth the effort to go anymore. There was just too much of what I didn't want to justify the time and expense to go see the shows I probably would have enjoyed. I'm going to Allentown on the hope that has changed. There does seem to be some enthusiasm for some of the shows over the last couple of seasons.

• Like 2

Grandpa i appreciate your comments and i love music and if your a traditionalist hard corps drum corps fan well then maybe the changes arent for you. I also would like to say that if it bothers you that much try and look at it in a different way. These kids are the future and we need to support them. It would be nice to put our differences aside and help support these kids. What ever decision you make i hope your happy and finally I want to remind you that DCP and other talk is just talk and you need to decide for yourself.

Agreed, which is part of why I'm going, so I can decide for myself.

I also agree that the kids are the future (do I hear a Whitney Huston song coming on?) but on that motivation, DCI needs to consider that there are hundreds of avenues that people can invest in that future by supporting local sports, boy scouts, girl guides, etc. and that means two things...

1 - they can't disenfranchise existing fans like me with frivolous rule changes

2 - the number of corps has shrunk drastically since the 1970s. They serve less and less of those kids as time goes by but charge some of the highest ticket prices to the supporters. Participation is expensive and getting worse all the time, from what I can see. As a contrbutor to the development of youth, DCI is not cost effective.

• Like 4

Agreed, which is part of why I'm going, so I can decide for myself.

I also agree that the kids are the future (do I hear a Whitney Huston song coming on?) but on that motivation, DCI needs to consider that there are hundreds of avenues that people can invest in that future by supporting local sports, boy scouts, girl guides, etc. and that means two things...

1 - they can't disenfranchise existing fans like me with frivolous rule changes

2 - the number of corps has shrunk drastically since the 1970s. They serve less and less of those kids as time goes by but charge some of the highest ticket prices to the supporters. Participation is expensive and getting worse all the time, from what I can see. As a contrbutor to the development of youth, DCI is not cost effective.

Grandpa I agree with the cost of tickets and I admire your sencerity. I would like to say that I marched in the 70s and I love drum corps just as much. I will do everything in my power to help a prospective member march in drum corps if money is the road block. I help support 2 members in a top 12 drum corps with their membership. You would also be suprised to know that not all members have a easy time paying their tour fees. I hope you stay with it and I would like to meet some day and have a chat

• Like 2

Grandpa I agree with the cost of tickets and I admire your sencerity. I would like to say that I marched in the 70s and I love drum corps just as much. I will do everything in my power to help a prospective member march in drum corps if money is the road block. I help support 2 members in a top 12 drum corps with their membership. You would also be suprised to know that not all members have a easy time paying their tour fees. I hope you stay with it and I would like to meet some day and have a chat

Full respect for your efforts to keep kids marching!

If you're in Allentown, I'll be there. I should be easy to spot - I'll be the one in the Cadet's section wearing the SCV t-shirt. I may be heavily bruised and bleeding by the end of the night....

Hey - I was buying tickets late in the game and somebody said YEA still had good seats!

Full respect for your efforts to keep kids marching!

If you're in Allentown, I'll be there. I should be easy to spot - I'll be the one in the Cadet's section wearing the SCV t-shirt. I may be heavily bruised and bleeding by the end of the night....

Hey - I was buying tickets late in the game and somebody said YEA still had good seats!

I hope you enoy alentown thats the only show i will not be attending. I will be in Atlanta, Lawrence Mass and Indy. Enjoy grandpa

<I really believe it has a lot to do with the mic placement for the Fan Network. >

Have you ever tried to enjoy Broadway...or an orchestra concert...via a PBS broadcast?

Have you tried to get the real sense of a painters work...from a xerox?

Have you listened to a great jazz singer...through an AM radio broadcast?

Since most of us can relate to the poor reproductions offered by these alternative media...we should learn that the only way to truly enjoy and appreciate drum corps is live and in person. Thunderous Goo is an issue at live performances...but when DCI decides to place the microphones that will bring a drum corps show into people's homes in front of the goo distribution systems...the issue is not so much with the goo itself...it's with DCI.

Re fan network: It may well be an unsolvable issue...but I can tell you...live shows don't have near as much goo as you might be lead to believe from listening via fan network...

Edited by FHdork
  • Like 2