Year 2020

Actually - maybe, but not in DCI.

SDCA - yes, DCA - also yes. The province of Quebec is revitalizing its local circuit and just had their first show a week ago. I believe there are similar efforts in other parts of North America.

If there is growth it will be in that kind of non-touring local circuit model, and that excites me far more than DCI does at the moment.

Some earlier post mentions that the corps that have gone away are the smaller, open class.....but the world class is still great.

Well, it's those smaller corps in which the future growth lies. Remember, any new corps created have to come up through those ranks, so don't dismiss them.

36 of the 48 active junior corps from 2010 were once "smaller" division corps.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Once again, DCI is showing strong financial stability right now.

You're kidding, right ?

• Like 1

Easy to be flippant when you're not the one being pruned, I guess.

Have you ever lived through a corps folding? It aint a happy time....

Again, never was a corps that folded that was being financially responsible... and living within their means.

There could be more corps, there could be less, there could be the exact same. None of us will know for ten years. If anyone here has the crystal ball telling them how many corps there will be, the California lottery is going pretty high, and I've got tuition increases to cover, so how about you send it over here?

In all honesty though, as the economy (hopefully) recovers, people will have the excess disposable income to donate to corps, and buy more souvies, and then people will have the money to keep the corps financially stable, and hopefully start new ones. I do see more of the 13-22 group going to the Academy/PC/Jersey Surf method, where they tour regionally, instead of the full national tour, in order to save funds.

Again, never was a corps that folded that was being financially responsible... and living within their means.

Not what I said. Your "pruning" comment was pretty #### callous. I've been through it and it's a kick to the gut. In this quest for excellent sound, do the kids enter into the equation for you at all?

I do see more of the 13-22 group going to the Academy/PC/Jersey Surf method, where they tour regionally, instead of the full national tour, in order to save funds.

That's a lot more sustainable than the full tour model and will hopefully nurture some startups. I hope more take their lead.

There were hundreds of corps that folded with more than enough money to thrive.

Dozens of causes OTHER than financial have doomed drum corps over the year.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Again, Star of Indiana.

That's a lot more sustainable than the full tour model and will hopefully nurture some startups. I hope more take their lead.

I hope so. If corps stick to that method, then it will hopefully keep them more sustainable, or take the method of some of the Open Class corps, which is go to FInals every other year, so they can get the finances up in the year they don't go.

Again, Star of Indiana.

Again, they never folded. Their Tony awards and Broadway run seem to say differently. They just left DCI to follow other opportunities.

Really guys? Negatives for saying Star left DCI to do Blast! That's a problem?

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 4