Year 2020

So, back to the point... let the schools teach kids how to play their instrument, and even how to move while doing it. Let drum corps teach youth how to go to the next level of simultaneous demand and push the absolute boundaries of this unique medium.

yes, but with many performing arts programs being cut from schools left and right, a small, local corps may be the only outlet for some kids to hone, or even learn, these skills.

• Like 1

Now, does that graph just do World Class, or Open Class too? Cause there's 22 world class corps right now, and that graph doesn't really account for outlying years like 2009, when we added corps, or that stretch between 1987 and 1992, when corps went up quite well. Predictions are just kind of that, predictions.

It's all junior corps, World and Open class. That's around 45 this year. The upswings in 87 and 92 are on the graph but they're wiped out a few years later. We added corps in 2009 but in 2010 the number dropped right back to where it was in 2008, and this year it's lower again. The lowest in DCI's history.

Unless something fundamental has changed, I'm not sure why the trend would change. Do you think something is different now than it was five years ago besides the fact that gas costs three times as much and corps need another $5-10000 of equipment to be competitive?

The schools can do a better job of this than drum corps in most cases.

About only one show and so many minutes of music.... even back in my ancient days we were learning more than that and performing outside of the competitive show (and even North America). It has only expanded from this.

About pushing playing ability... the fundamental basis of drum corps is synesthesia. It is the visual and auditory combined.... rather than an emphasis on a singular medium... so, it should be considered holistically. Drum corps are currently pushing the absolute limits of playing ability given simultaneous athletic demand and movement ability.

Sure, back in my day we were playing loads of insane notes... but, realistically, moving with less visual demand than BDB currently does. The current level of achievement with simultaneous demand is unreal. These kids today are incredible.

So, back to the point... let the schools teach kids how to play their instrument, and even how to move while doing it. Let drum corps teach youth how to go to the next level of simultaneous demand and push the absolute boundaries of this unique medium.

Daniel

Schools out here have their music budgets cut, and the rules are just plain silly. In fact, the lack of good music education led us to the BD organization in the first place. I personally taught my 2 kids to play trumpet, paid for lessons for my vocalist and percussionist. The mediocre programs at the schools, grade, jr and high schools did not help at all. The exception was the choir/vocal program at the high school, but that program was severely cut....

I am not really disagreeing with you, but rather lamenting the poor state of music education in ca, or at least in our corner of Ca.

It's all junior corps, World and Open class. That's around 45 this year. The upswings in 87 and 92 are on the graph but they're wiped out a few years later. We added corps in 2009 but in 2010 the number dropped right back to where it was in 2008, and this year it's lower again. The lowest in DCI's history.

Unless something fundamental has changed, I'm not sure why the trend would change. Do you think something is different now than it was five years ago besides the fact that gas costs three times as much and corps need another $5-10000 of equipment to be competitive?

Yeah, I think the reason we saw the drop this year, is because the economy is so low right now. It's hard enough for corps to stay financially stable when economic times are solid, but there's some big problems right now. And that's why I'm thinking we're seeing no new start-ups, (except Platinum, best of luck to them), and corps folding, or going inactive for a year or two.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I think until the economy really turns around, or until DCI really starts pushing for the expansion of the International Class, things will either stay the same as right now, or we'll lose a few more corps.

I am not really disagreeing with you, but rather lamenting the poor state of music education in ca, or at least in our corner of Ca.

It's all over California, and the worst part is, we have one of the best music education systems out here.... But most of the districts have now been hit with the lawsuits, so they can't charge band fees, and that's really putting a strain on the programs, and ending lots of them....

Daniel

Schools out here have their music budgets cut, and the rules are just plain silly. In fact, the lack of good music education led us to the BD organization in the first place. I personally taught my 2 kids to play trumpet, paid for lessons for my vocalist and percussionist. The mediocre programs at the schools, grade, jr and high schools did not help at all. The exception was the choir/vocal program at the high school, but that program was severely cut....

Went to HS in CA. Bands were unreal. Taught HS bands in CA. Insanely great programs. Very well funded. Great music education in California.

Could be that some districts are rather weak compared to others. If so, it is simply due to lack of parental pressure. Squeaky wheel.

Why encourage more kids to have a mediocre experience, rather than focus on strengthening existing corps? The last thing the activity needs is loads of mediocre corps or poorly run groups like they used to have. How many corps did Bill Cook bail out???

They declared themselves that when they folded.

Smaller, younger corps are helped more by the top tier corps than they are hurt.

Have you ever been involved with one of these so called mediocre corps? Ever see how much the kids enjoy their summer? Ever see how much they learn as musicians and grow as people?

I don't care if you made it to finals, got a DCI ring, or whatever else you may have done at that level. You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to small corps.

• Like 2

yes, but with many performing arts programs being cut from schools left and right, a small, local corps may be the only outlet for some kids to hone, or even learn, these skills.

Were in that situation now in much of Canada. Very little in the way of school programs, virtually no high school bands and now almost no drum corps.

But who cares as long as we have G8, right?

Were in that situation now in much of Canada. Very little in the way of school programs, virtually no high school bands and now almost no drum corps.

But who cares as long as we have G8, right?

There is a group starting up in Alberta that seems to have some potential. Alberta is swimming in money... just needs the right organization.