Great Guard Moments of 2011?

In SCV's opener when the rifles and sabres toss after each count on different points of the field, very reminiscent to their WGI show this year. Also the running back in forth and dancing in the ballad.

SCV WGI staff is Scouts guard staff. (drill and equipment)

Edited by Cop

SCV WGI staff is Scouts guard staff. (drill and equipment)

Brenda and I went for coffee at a hotel in Indy 2010. I stood in line with Denise. That was a great moment. I taught Ventures guard in 1975, also a great moment and I appreciated the opportunity immensely. There were many great moments during the 20 years I spent spinning. I personally like melodic with punctuation in summer and expression with creativity in winter. That's just me! ...um...imo ;-)

Here's a couple I like:

Crown's flag feature bottom right of the field during Paint it Black

Cavies - pretty much anything they do on rifle - but there's one part in the opener when they toss from the butt of the rifle and catch it with one hand on a silent part of the music that is incredible

Phantom - the first big hit when the guard comes together in the middle of the field - that is a very tasty dance moment

Cadets - the Angel flag work in Amazing Grace is awesome

Vanguard - the closer flag work - once they start spinning on the ground until the end

Blue Stars - the flag work is insane !

Later,

Mike

I think that a great guard moment that should be mentioned as well is the foil flags Glassmen has. They add a sound and reflective texture that is cool and helps that portion of the show transition.

All the others I have read are great too.

• Like 1

BACs guard in the end zone... very very impressive!

I was a brass player, and I never find myself paying direct attention to the guard during shows. So while I do love to see truly impressive guard work, it often takes several viewings of a show before I notice anything but the most in-your-face examples. I know there are some great moments out there that I'm missing, along with others with my same blind spot. So before the season ends, I wanted to know what everyone's favorite guard moments are this season, so we can look for them in the remaining shows of the year.

A couple that I *have* noticed so far:

Blue Devils when the brass is in a block doing criss-cross tank tread something or other, with the white posts in front of them, and the rifles line up in front and do this perfectly timed wave from right to left with precisely even height and spectacular timing. It's incredible to me they can pull that off so well.

Cavies always do a mass flag throw, but I really like the one this year with the guard spreading the field and suddenly criss-crossing flags through the air in every direction. :worthy:

So what are your favorites this year?

Boston guard is electrifying most underrated this year.

Bostons guard without a doubt at the opening move flags are on fire. Also Bostons guard uniforms are one of the better ones this year.

Phantoms guard the move on the fifty very well done

blue devils what techinical ability awesome

herbert washington from crown. I am taking every oppurtunity to watch this guy because is the best ifle ever.

• Like 1

Blue Devils spin and move with a maturity that is seldom seen in drumcorps. The level of poise with epuipment is spot on. I have always enjoyed watching them perform for many years. This year is really a special one.