Great Guard Moments of 2011?

I was a brass player, and I never find myself paying direct attention to the guard during shows. So while I do love to see truly impressive guard work, it often takes several viewings of a show before I notice anything but the most in-your-face examples. I know there are some great moments out there that I'm missing, along with others with my same blind spot. So before the season ends, I wanted to know what everyone's favorite guard moments are this season, so we can look for them in the remaining shows of the year.

A couple that I *have* noticed so far:

Blue Devils when the brass is in a block doing criss-cross tank tread something or other, with the white posts in front of them, and the rifles line up in front and do this perfectly timed wave from right to left with precisely even height and spectacular timing. It's incredible to me they can pull that off so well.

Cavies always do a mass flag throw, but I really like the one this year with the guard spreading the field and suddenly criss-crossing flags through the air in every direction. :worthy:

So what are your favorites this year?

BD rifles are godly worthy.gif

UNPOPULAR OPINION: I don't know if anybody would agree with me, but I actually love how SCV's guard interacts with the runners, sort to speak. I know a lot of people say that the runners distract us from the actual drill, but all the small things they do with the guard make the show memorable.

Edited by staplestable
  • Like 1

UNPOPULAR OPINION: I don't know if anybody would agree with me, but I actually love how SCV's guard interacts with the runners, sort to speak. I know a lot of people say that the runners distract us from the actual drill, but all the small things they do with the guard make the show memorable.

No way! This is the best part of the show visually! LOVE the interaction between the guard and the runners! :thumbup:

• Like 2

In SCV's opener when the rifles and sabres toss after each count on different points of the field, very reminiscent to their WGI show this year. Also the running back in forth and dancing in the ballad.

Crown spinning flags off the trusses.

Cavies trading on rifles during the upside down tenor drums ala BD 08.

Guards are good this year, but I don't detect as many "moments" from them as in the past. Sure they're there, but it's not as obvious I guess.

"Cowboys and Aliens" can wait. Gotta write about memorable 2011 guard moments:

1. Academy's front sideline surprise ripple of flags.

2. Blue Devils's dizzy full-guard full-throttle spinning of the 2-color poles.

3. Crown's age-out Herbert being flashed by the backfield paparazzi.

4. The growing number of out-of-nowhere yellow hoodies on the Blue Stars.

5. Backfield movement of the end-of-show XY Cavalier flags.

6. The Cadets's demons placing their attack poles gently down after the mid-show battle scene.

7. The way the romantic-colored Phantom Regiment dresses move on the entire guard.

Great guard moments are when you have a majority of the guard doing the same thing in unison. You don't see enough of that today. When the guard is frolicking and flitting in the middle of the drill without any equipment work it becomes totally ineffective. I know the guard members that are good enough to march in DCI are the best in the world but the design needs to concentrate on accenting the music and the drill - not trying to be the center of the show. More flags - More rifles - less prancing - no men in skirts.... AND how about a little marching please? :thumbup:

OK - bring on the "reds" :cool:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 4

Bluecoats marimba player coming out to center of field and throwing (and catching) an 8 with a rifle. :thumbup:

This!

In an interview with Dan Potter in Atlanta, he said he didn't have any guard experience--he just hung out and picked up the moves. Cool!