Best/Worst 2011 Overall Show Design

So here we are in the last 2 weeks of the season and most of the corps have made most of the major changes they will make. What are your choices for best/worst show design for the top 17? This is not meant has as critique of any corps members. Below are mine.

Best

Cadets: The whole good vs. evil theme has been done to death but Cadets really have come up with a new spin on it. The move to have the corps broken in two for a good part of the show was pretty risky but really pays off as does the different uniforms. Incredible demands are made on all sections. If they can clean it and should and will win.

Runner Up:

Blue Devils: I have been frustrated by their prop laden shows the past several years and this year to a lesser extent has the same issues. If you look where the design of this show was in June compared to August it is pretty incredible the amount of changes they have put it. I also give them credit for more accessible music selections. BD knows what the judges want and they have figured out better than anyone how to deliver.

Worst:

Blue Stars: While I have not seen this show live I have watched it repeatedly on the fan network and made myself listene repeatedly to the the MP3. Musically this is the least interesting show of the top 17. There is no emotional range to any of the selections. It all pretty much sounds the same. This is all the more disappointing given the stellar design of their 07-10 shows. Visually they are limited to the front of the field due to the pretty useless ramps. They move pretty well but again the design keeps them between the 25's. Their guard has been amazing the last several years but this year they have been given nothing to interpret. My guess it Spirit will pass them shortly and they will be lucky to land in 12th. The kids are performing the best they can but they show has nowhere to go. Staff shake up may be needed for 2012.

Runner Up:

Bluecoats: This is not a bad show just a disappointing one given how amazing they were last year. It seems pretty obvious that the staff played it safe and tried to mimic last years show design. As with last year the theme of the show is a bit hard to grasp given the show design but last year was so much more enjoyable that I did not care. I would put Santa Clara and perhaps even Boston ahead of them.

Both BS and BC should see a drop of around 4 placements from 2010. Ouch!

• Like 6

I love the topic but I think this will end badly. :ph34r:

• Like 4

Kind of confused as to why BD is the runner up rather than maybe Crown, Cavaliers, SCV, or even Phantom? Blue Devils are great and all, but I dont think their show design is better than SCV or Cavaliers at all...

• Like 2

I'll agree with half of these

Best

Cadets-This is a timeless show that should win. Its a well done concept that is spinned in a great way

Runner-up

Tie- Carolina Crown and Madison- Great fun shows that really get a unique point across more than most. Crown is the master of cheese with this show and it works very well and is very enjoyable. I can see this type of show getting new fans into DCI. Madison does a unique show that no one dare try to attempt and I commend them on it. Its a good concept and is executed in a way where its open to interpretation and shows emotion.

Worst

Blue Stars- Very disappointing drill. There BOA-esque proping finally has gotten the best of them. The giant bridge thing has hurt there ability to execute a full drill and has showed significantly in the competitive aspect. Its a shame because this corps has good talent and are limited to poor show concept.

Runner-up

Glassmen- I commend them for trying to be different and stepping out of there comfort zone but this concept is also confusing and does'nt work. The music starts strong but tapers throughout leaving a question mark. The concept is not really fully shown and alot of people leave with not knowing what this show is about unless told by someone. This another case of good talent and poor design concept.

• Like 1

I'm not going to touch worst, but I will cover best:

1. Cadets - the uniforms add an incredible visual touch to the whole proceedings. Going between separated, blocked up, and alternating colors throughout the show, it's just such a great idea and so well done. But then add in fantastic touches like the glow-stick battle, and the just classic classic show design and it's the winner by a long shot. Well done, Cadets!

2. Vanguard - this show is just awesome from a design standpoint. Start with

: "Imagine: You're in hell, and you want out." This whole show just completely successfully captures that idea. Add some awesome interaction between the guard and the "visual soloists" from the brass, really striking drill, great music including an awesome ballad, and this is probably my favorite show of the year.

:thumbup:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 4

What are we considering "good design"?

If we are talking about all the sections, simultaneously presenting the thematic content of the show and providing continuity for the the stated (and assumed) themes...

I'd say:

Cavaliers: Definitely presenting thematic material thru the show that supports the concept that they are trying to convey. It looks "different" and there are tidbits of the idea over the course of the entire show in all sections.

Cadets: Present the thematic material from the get go, and it plays out, everywhere in all facets of the show.

PR: Almost to a fault, plays the lyric beauty of Juliet in all parts from Guard to Drill to Brass to Uniforms. It is awesome in the matching of the idea of Juliet to the show, but because there is so much lyricism and other things, can be a difficult watch.

• Like 1

Worst:

Blue Stars: While I have not seen this show live I have watched it repeatedly on the fan network and made myself listene repeatedly to the the MP3. Musically this is the least interesting show of the top 17. There is no emotional range to any of the selections. It all pretty much sounds the same. This is all the more disappointing given the stellar design of their 07-10 shows. Visually they are limited to the front of the field due to the pretty useless ramps. They move pretty well but again the design keeps them between the 25's. Their guard has been amazing the last several years but this year they have been given nothing to interpret. My guess it Spirit will pass them shortly and they will be lucky to land in 12th. The kids are performing the best they can but they show has nowhere to go. Staff shake up may be needed for 2012.

So their bad show design is what makes the crowd stand up and cheer louder than a good 80% of the other corps????

• Like 6

If crowd response is the only barometer of design then Madison would be in first and BD in 9th and not vice versa.

Well, the OP was basically saying blue stars music sucks. Baridon basically said 'the majority of fans dont seem to think so, judging by their response at shows'.

I disagree with the OP. Plenty of problems on the visual side, but musically i really like the 2011 show. Maybe its because im a big fan of the bourne\matrix movies, but there's plenty to like from the show.

As far as the 'ramps limiting the drill' this may be one of the biggest myths in DCI this year along with 'the judges are scoring fan friendly shows better this year'. They have plenty of drill going on in that show. You watch other corps scoring above them with much less going on from a drill standpoint. The problem for them is they can't clean the drill they have, and it seems the major (100 pages reportedly) changes they made were a big detriment to the cleaning process, and the positive effects (if any) from the changes were outweighed by the lack of ability to clean it up. Personally id like to see the corps move away from gimmicky props next year and stand on the talent they obviously have, but i dont think its the reason the scoring is low.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 2

Man, I knew people would take this thread badly, its to bad because its a good thread and nothing said are personal attacks. Its just opinions on what people have seen through the season, nothing more or nothing less.

• Like 2