West Chester - The Best Chester

Lol...get there early, come in from the boro (there is more than one way in) meet friends after, and leave after the rush.

Yeah, ok...maybe that doesn't work for people with regular jobs, but its a pretty fun schedule for me :)

well a job and a 2 hour drive does get in the way

• Like 1

So where is the tipping point??? To make fans happy do we ask all the corps to do stupid hard shows that are executed at a mediocre level?? I'm not saying that anybody is mediocre right now... but from the sound of it thats what a lot of people would like to see. I, personally, like to see a flawless product. It is more impressive to see a hard show executed perfectly over a ridiculously hard show with mistakes. Thats just me...

I wouldn't necessarily call BD's show this year a "flawless product". Every drum corp has a lot to improve in certain areas and it is not the finals yet.

And I am pretty happy with Cadets and Cavaliers doing "stupid hard shows" because frankly I want to be entertained and watch DCI be progressive and continually challenge themselves by pushing the limits. This is what BD is not doing in these recent years and sadly I am disappointed.

Oh and I'll give you one tiny example of a "ridiculously hard show" that is a flawless product

Phantom Regiment - 2008 Spartacus

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: no bias i swear!

Edited by neonpeanuts
  • Like 1

Not writing them off. They could make a push. Just my opinion it will be between Devs and Cadets.

East vs. West coast just like it should be. Go east.

So where is the tipping point??? To make fans happy do we ask all the corps to do stupid hard shows that are executed at a mediocre level?? I'm not saying that anybody is mediocre right now... but from the sound of it thats what a lot of people would like to see. I, personally, like to see a flawless product. It is more impressive to see a hard show executed perfectly over a ridiculously hard show with mistakes. Thats just me...

No - and you answered your own question there "I'm not saying anyone is mediocre now, but". Lets dispence with the hyperbole - BD show is not super easy and perfect, nor are the other top corps OMG LOLZ UBER HARD but terribly dirty. We're literally talking about a difference of 5% or less in terms of what judges tend to reward...maybe less. People say they dont want dirty shows to win - i watched a show with the top 3 corps tonight and not a SINGLE one was 'dirty'.

I may not be an expert, but i've got my ring, followed dci for 10 years, and am probably slightly above average when it comes to judging from the bleachers (for whatever thats worth...) - and I say NONE of them were really dirty. So, YEAH, i think its ok to ask for the pendulum to swing back towards frenetic, fast paced, blow-your-mind stuff, thats a little less perfect, rather than the stage-show, slower paced, a little more perfect stuff that has been rewarded lately. Again, its a matter of tenths (not in each caption, but total!) among 3 or 4 of the best corps in the activity, in one of the best years we've had in a while. Regardless, i'm not worried, this particular pendulum has always swing back and forth, and its only a matter of time till it reaches the apex and goes the other way...

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily call BD's show this year a "flawless product". Every drum corp has a lot to improve in certain areas and it is not the finals yet.

And I am pretty happy with Cadets and Cavaliers doing "stupid hard shows" because frankly I want to be entertained and watch DCI be progressive and continually challenge themselves by pushing the limits. This is what BD is not doing in these recent years and sadly I am disappointed.

Oh and I'll give you one tiny example of a "ridiculously hard show" that is a flawless product

Phantom Regiment - 2008 Spartacus

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: no bias i swear!

08 phantom? flawless? Right... Probably wasn't even the most 'flawless' that year, much less an example for all time...and i think most phans of the corps know it. (I love the show btw...)

Edited by euponitone
  • Like 2

Cavies probably got the biggest "WOW" reactions of the night...hands down. Scouts got the biggest ovation, for show. Cadets...pretty good applause throughout, but not quite as much energy as I expected from them or from the crowd (but not bad by any means)

Probably because the seats weren't high. A lot of people I talked to couldn't see a lot of the drill for what it was worth. Wait until Allentown on Saturdaythumbup.gif

Probably because the seats weren't high. A lot of people I talked to couldn't see a lot of the drill for what it was worth. Wait until Allentown on Saturdaythumbup.gif

I was up high...no big deal either way. I'll be performing at a DCA show on saturday, but i'll see them at Giants on sunday! :thumbup:

I was being sarcastic

Lol....couldn't tell, and based on your phantom picture, i figured you were being for realz....

Just MY $0.02, and of course I don't know anything, BUT ....

Anyone who says SCV's drum book is easier than the top 3 doesn't know anything about percussion. That's a complex book. They generate QUALITY sound, top to bottom. Pit to battery, and segments within the battery ... THE BEST OF THE NIGHT. Does it work with the brass? Absolutely not. Ensemble music SHOULD suffer ... its weak. But the percussion caption should reward them. NOBODY played as well as they did tonight. Plain and simple!

BD ... I don't get it. Everyone's talking about their excellence vs. the others. I DON'T SEE IT. Every other year, I did. but I saw feet phasing .... Championships is in a little more than a week. That's not the devils I know. Their horn sound was unbelievably good ... but that's it. I don't see how its scoring as well as it is. But again, that's just me.

Madison Scouts (ok, I am an alum) WERE ON FIRE. They have a fantastic show, which clearly is not as complex as their competitors, but they sell the crap out of it. NO WAY should SCV beat them in either effect caption or ensemble music... no way. I definately see a gigantic spread in Vanguard's favor percussively, but I honestly yawned through their entire show.

Surf was leaps and bounds improved from when I saw them in Jackson. That show is really staring to come into its own.

I need to ask a Cavaliers question (and I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere). Has anyone REALLY EXAMINED that tenor feature? I do NOT believe the upside down guys are playing. I SWEAR they are just faking. If that's the case, its total bull. If they ARE playing, then its amazing, but I sat 50 yd line, row 3 and I didn't see a single stick hit a single head. Perhaps it was just tonight, perhaps they've been faking all along, perhaps I'm seeing things. But seeing them faking was like finding out there's no Santa Claus. I felt cheated ... THOUGHTS???