The New Giant Meadowland

Yeah...realistically, BD will be closer in GE music, and cadets should more ahead in GE vis. It should come down to some of the swing captions..like brass, perc, and vis/music ensemble

The same as they have been for the rest of DCI's history, so average? I remember lots of shows, where it was a few Top 8 corps, then like Crossmen and Pioneer. And the stands filled as the Top 8 came on, so with the TOC, we see the stands full the whole time.

That's great for the TOC corps, not great for anyone else. If two or three top 8 corps can draw a near full house to 2-3 shows on the same night by spreading out, that's preferable to having 1 full show with only the top 8 and one half-full show with no top 8.

It's really hard to gauge anything from this show since it was using the new experimental sheets...which will not be used at finals. There are entire captions that are reworked on the new sheets with new criteria for judging.

I think the sheets aren't really being scored all that differently in the end, but regardless, I think the real question is how will BD going on right after Cadets change the spreads, particularly in the visual captions. If BD is way cleaner than Cadets, I think they'll get a bigger bump from their visual excellence if they go on immediately following Cadets than they do going on nearly two hours before.

I look at it this way - corps like boston or blue knights should relish the chance to be the 'big dog' at a show. THEY get a chance to win, THEY get a chance to do the encore, etc, etc... If enough people are ###### at the G8 thing, then you would think more folks would go to these other shows. And Lastly...what's to stop some of these other corps from doing more of the fan interaction things that the G8 are doing? Just having a few members in uniform walk around before the show goes a LOOONNGGG way to being audience friendly. Having a mini I&E is a possibility as well...depending on show size / logistics / noise ordinances.

Look...i'm not totally for the G8 thing either, and I recognize the harm it *could* cause other groups...but they do have some really good ideas, and some good can come of it. It'll be up to the folks in charge to figure out what pieces to keep, and which things do more harm then good, of course...

• Like 1

I think the sheets aren't really being scored all that differently in the end, but regardless, I think the real question is how will BD going on right after Cadets change the spreads, particularly in the visual captions. If BD is way cleaner than Cadets, I think they'll get a bigger bump from their visual excellence if they go on immediately following Cadets than they do going on nearly two hours before.

SO true.....Cadets perform, they are clean, judges score..but they have to leave room because there is one more corps. Blue Devils then perform, they are crisp, and cleaner, scores will be marked higher......interesting.

Geoffrey

I look at it this way - corps like boston or blue knights should relish the chance to be the 'big dog' at a show. THEY get a chance to win, THEY get a chance to do the encore, etc, etc... If enough people are ###### at the G8 thing, then you would think more folks would go to these other shows. And Lastly...what's to stop some of these other corps from doing more of the fan interaction things that the G8 are doing? Just having a few members in uniform walk around before the show goes a LOOONNGGG way to being audience friendly. Having a mini I&E is a possibility as well...depending on show size / logistics / noise ordinances.

Look...i'm not totally for the G8 thing either, and I recognize the harm it *could* cause other groups...but they do have some really good ideas, and some good can come of it. It'll be up to the folks in charge to figure out what pieces to keep, and which things do more harm then good, of course...

It's going to be a very tumultuous off season...

Geoffrey

I agree a lot of the new ideas from the TOC shows are good ones. But there's no reason these ideas needed a TOC circuit to try them out. I think most people don't know or care about the politics of the G8, and they just look at a list of nearby shows, and pick which one has the most corps they want to see for the right price.

Folks talking about the different sheets and voting corps in and out of the G7/G8/TOC... Makes me wonder if TOC is credited as a success by DCI and it continues, how long it will be till there really is a push to explicitly split World Class into two divisions. Having a unified prelims with WC and OC does take one necessary step in that direction. If a new Universe Class is created, they'd need to participate in the same prelims/semis/finals as the rest...

I agree a lot of the new ideas from the TOC shows are good ones. But there's no reason these ideas needed a TOC circuit to try them out. I think most people don't know or care about the politics of the G8, and they just look at a list of nearby shows, and pick which one has the most corps they want to see for the right price.

Folks talking about the different sheets and voting corps in and out of the G7/G8/TOC... Makes me wonder if TOC is credited as a success by DCI and it continues, how long it will be till there really is a push to explicitly split World Class into two divisions. Having a unified prelims with WC and OC does take one necessary step in that direction. If a new Universe Class is created, they'd need to participate in the same prelims/semis/finals as the rest...

I think the logic for some of that...especially the early season TOC shows, was that the top groups are better prepared for those small performance, and also are more likely to have the top talent at any rate. I know that isn't always true, and i know there were 'money' concerns as well, but thats at least part of it. Most corps can barely get their show together in time...so asking them to do instant encores and small ensemble performances may have been a bit much...