Finals Live Stream

Sounds like a great idea , but I can see where Dan and the BOD might a little nervous .

I can TOTALLY understand that they would be nervous of losing more ticket buys are Finals. But I think there are ways to structure things to minimize that problem. WGI has been doing this for the last several years (though are possibly outgrowing UD Arena), and I'm not sure how long BOA has streamed their finals (who, it should be said, are in the same Finals stadium). I understand that DCI is probably worried about attendance dropping even more (though apparently revenue is still strong), but I still think this idea would be more of a revenue stream than a revenue loss.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably re-send this to DCI again early September, as well as bump this thread and encourage others to contact DCI as well. I think at the very list the idea should be thoroughly explored, market researched (i.e. sending emails to FN members asking if they'd pay extra for Finals, asking Finals ticket buyers if they would NOT go to Finals for the sole reason of streaming it, etc), etc.

May I suggest that even in this Internet age, a mailed letter from you and several others would carry more weight? E-mails, though convenient, don't have the impact real letters (that one has to physically open to read) have. Also, if you firmly believe in what you want, I also suggest you get some directors on board to help promote your idea.

if it were multi cam i'd be right there with you.

but if it's high cam, forget it.

Yeah, that would be ideal, and maybe I'm way over-thinking things. But if DCI is hesitant I think it's fair for them to hold back some of the bling, so to speak, to still entice people to buy the DVD's/Blu-rays. If I had to bet I would stipulate that their biggest concerns are:

1) losing Finals ticket buys/attendance

2) losing DVD/Blu-ray sales

If the price-point is comparable to Finals, that might be at worst a wash as far as "would've bought a ticket, instead bought the stream," and at best people like me, "I would never have bought a Finals ticket but now I'm buying the live stream."

As for the DVD/Blu-ray sales, the only concession I can think of (besides the GIGANTIC leap in quality from stream-DVD/Blu-ray) would be to make the live stream just high-cam (which would also potentially be less of a hassle for DCI). Maybe if they ONLY included the live stream as an add-on for buying the DVD's or Blu-rays (for example, $99 for Top 12 DVD's, or $159 for DVD + live stream), then since everyone watching the live stream has already bought the DVD's they could maybe show the multi-cam.

Just ideas. Finals week I always tend to get desperate, so my strategy for DCI's live stream always seem to favor DCI, in order to make it as much of a no-lose situation for them as possible.

-only cut for space-

yea, I guess... I mean, I think I would say that if two sporting events are held back to back, where two teams compete against each other, the games might be completely different. Drum corps shows are not very different from one day to the next.

But, if there is a market for this, IMO it is worth exploring for DCI. I don't think they want to have people stay home to watch online when they could've gone to the stadium, but we all know that DCI shows are much better live, so I don't know if this would really be an issue.

It's not worth it to me personally, although I'm sure it's worth it to lots of hard-core fans. The question is which group outweighs and outspends the other. I don't know.

I've never attended a finals; seeing all the shows in the semis and quarters has been more than enough for me. The difference between DCI finals and the world series is that you never know who's going to win the world series. A couple of bad bounces could change everything. That just doesn't happen in DCI. Granted, this year is different than the last two and that's the limit of my experience, but it seems to me you have to have a lot invested to care all that much if #8 overtakes #7 for reasons that you probably can't see from the stands anyway. And you never know where the real competition might occur -- 12 vs. 11, 1 vs. 2 or whatever. Not saying lots of people aren't interested, but most of them are concentrated here on DCP. :)

Seems to me it's a matter of competition vs. artistry, and especially with Fan Network, finals doesn't add a lot, IMO, to my enjoyment of the artistry. Your milage may (and probably does) vary.

Even better, how about televising them live on PBS...

Been there. The one thing I heard from the PBS folks was the phones would ring off the hook with pledges and then the bulk of the pledges would not follow through. I don't know if that contributed to the show not being carried live anymore, but I'm guessing it didn't help. Then the show was on PBS tape delayed, any time from Labor Day to Thanksgiving, depending on the market.

When it was delivered live, PBS had complaints about the show pre-empting their favorite programs regularly scheduled for that time slot. As hard as it is for us to realize that drum corps means less to some people than "As Time Goes By," "Keeping Up Appearances" and "How I Won the War," (shows that are on during that time this coming Saturday on Chicago's WTTW), this is an issue networks face.

Been there. The one thing I heard from the PBS folks was the phones would ring off the hook with pledges and then the bulk of the pledges would not follow through. I don't know if that contributed to the show not being carried live anymore, but I'm guessing it didn't help. Then the show was on PBS tape delayed, any time from Labor Day to Thanksgiving, depending on the market.

When it was delivered live, PBS had complaints about the show pre-empting their favorite programs regularly scheduled for that time slot. As hard as it is for us to realize that drum corps means less to some people than "As Time Goes By," "Keeping Up Appearances" and "How I Won the War," (shows that are on during that time this coming Saturday on Chicago's WTTW), this is an issue networks face.

Agree on 'Been there'. But the PBS broadcast was what got a lot of us into drum corps.

And we wonder why the activity is slowly dying...

• Like 1

I am an annual FN subscriber and since I cannot be in Indianapolis this weekend,

I would pay $100 for the right to watch the Finals live this Saturday.

Not on VOD and not on Blue Ray months later.....LIVE....

Cali.

How many people are sitting in their homes tonight paying NOTHING to DCI when they would gladly be paying to see their kids perform in the Open Class Finals in Michigan City? I would happily pay the best seat price, heck, even TWICE the price, to see my son perform with his corp, and would be just as happy to watch every other Open Class performance as well. As it is, we can't travel to the championships. We have a farm. The last time we got to see our kids on the field was an exhibition put on free of charge because our corp couldn't afford to pay DCI to put on our own show this year. Does anyone know when DCI will make the performances of today available on the VOD area of the Fan Network? And by the way, I emailed, wrote, made phone calls last year suggesting pay-per-view streaming with multi-cam option and all responses were discouraging. They almost made me feel like I was the only parent who purchased all three DVD's the years they were made available. Was I? All I want to know is ... when will I be able to watch the final performances of every corp in competition tonight?

• Like 1