Prelims!

I enjoyed the prelim performances from yesterday. The Cadets and Carolina Crown were my favorites. I think CC should have scored higher, and their color guard should not be in 6th place. I thought Phantom Regiment and Bluecoats did really well. Madison Scouts were LOUD! I was really impressed with Blue Knights (performed very well and great music) and Spirit of Atlanta (I think they have the 12th spot for finals). I thought it was very rude that people boo'ed the Blue Devils. They have a great show but I don't think it will be enough to beat The Cadets.

As much as I would like to believe this....it just isn't so. BTW, there is a few that (as you say) would hate BD no matter......but many are not bummed by their show, but by the fact they are winning or #### near winning. And as others have said, "that's fine....just say it, don't make up a bunch of criticisms to fit the circumstances.

My beef with the BD shows of late is that haven't been entertaining. I've been watching drum corp for 25 years and I can't remember any World Championship winning shows (WCWS) that I have been as disinterested as the recent BD shows.

There have been many WCS that were not my favorite show of the night but I still liked the WCS.

There have been many WCS that were not my favorite corp at that time but I still liked the WCS.

My opinion is not better because I've been watching longer. I'm just highlighing how much these shows stand out in terms of disinterest from my own personal experiences.

Edited by bchorn

Alot of you guys act like BD is putting together shows with the express purpose of not entertaining the audience. How does that make any sense? Especially since I (and many many other people) enjoy their shows? That is an example of the complete and utter exaggeration of your dislike for BD. That is why a few of us label you as haters. That is an obviously false statement and yet it is being brought up in every single post about BD. The "audience" is not just one hivemind of people that like a particular type of show; it is made up of many groups. For example, I personally am not a huge fan of gimmicks or things that I feel are too close to "high school band" or immature looking. That is why I gravitate to SCV and The Blue Devils. They give off an air of "cool" that other corps don't. It is why I don't get as much entertainment as some of the people on this forum from The Cadets this year. I appreciate red vs. white visual stuff, but the angels and demons and the hornline awkwardly spinning poles around just completely turn me off because it appears goofy and immature. OBVIOUSLY many people think it is awesome, and that is TOTALLY FINE. It is also why I am not on here yelling that the Cadets suck and the only reason they are winning is because it is their turn or whatever other crap the BD haters spew about BD. I think BD should be winning for reasons related specifically to the sheets and judging and I only complain when that seems wildly in error (like their vis performance scores or brass scores last night).

I don't know how else to explain it, BD is "cool" and "mature" in their approach in a way that most other corps are not. To me, that is the type of audience member their shows are catered to. I feel like if I show a Blue Devils show to one of my friends with no marching band or DCI exposure when they see it they wont be giggling or laughing at sections like they would at parts of say a Cadets show. If I showed them pretty much any BD show(with a couple of exceptions like 2005) I think this statement would hold up. If I showed them Cadets 2006 or something similar they would laugh their way out of the room and I wouldn't blame them. That "type" of show is only interesting to those of us with years of experience invested in marching (for the most part) and it seems ridiculously uncool to outsiders. I don't if any of that makes any sense, but there ya go.

In the theater I was in I was sitting next to some people that really dug Blue Devils show, and I was also around some people that didn't like it. Some people liked both. This was in Illinois. Obviously most of the people there cheered for Phantom and Cavies the loudest because we are in Illinois. I am going to venture out and say that if you were in a theater on the west coast, many of the people would be cheering for Blue Devils and SCV the loudest. Crowds in Indy this year are most likely predominantly people from the Midwest and so they probably favor midwest corps over west coast. The point I am trying to make is that there are TONS of factors that go into why the small group of people you are around in the theater, or the small group of people even on this website like or dislike certain corps. The same can be said about crowd reaction in Indy.

Obviously I am not saying that some shows don't get more fan reaction than others because of people simply liking them more with no bias, but to dismiss the fact that DCI in many ways is akin to major league sports, and to say that alot of the people complaining about particular corps has nothing to do with placements and who their home team is is ignorant. That is the point I (and I think Plan 9 though I don't like speaking for him without his consent :P) are trying to make. If you are going to "hate" BD, at least hate them honestly. Don't hide behind it by saying crap like "I appreciate the performers" or "If they had better designers they would be more enjoyable" because that is just you trying to rationalize your hatered to people so that you don't seem like you are hating because you simply don't like BD winning or beating your team. BD is most likely not going to put on shows like the Cadets, and that is alright. For those of us who love the type of show BD puts out, how about you just let us enjoy it (whether they are winning or losing) without being complete jerks about IN EVERY SINGLE POST.

• Like 1

My beef with the BD shows of late is that haven't been entertaining. I've been watching drum corp for 25 years and I can't remember any World Championship winning shows (WCWS) that I have been as disinterested as the recent BD shows.

There have been many WCS that were not my favorite show of the night but I still liked the WCS.

There have been many WCS that were not my favorite corp at that time but I still liked the WCS.

My opinion is not better because I've been watching longer. I'm just highlighing how much these shows stand out in terms of disinterest from my own personal experiences.

"My beef with the BD shows of late is that haven't been entertaining." This is your opening statement. How am I or anyone else supposed to take you seriously when you say something like this? You state your opinion as fact. BD IS entertaining, to many people that find their type of show entertaining. And then at the end you try to rationalize it away by saying oh, this is just my personal opinion. What is the point of your post? Are you trying to say that the fact you are disinterested in the shows that BD puts out in some way should be reflected in the judging? Or that other people should follow your opinion and those that like BD are wrong? Or are ruining DCI? What is your point?? This is a perfect example of a "hater" post. It seems to have no purpose or reasoning behind it than to simply bash BD.

Alot of you guys act like BD is putting together shows with the express purpose of not entertaining the audience. How does that make any sense? Especially since I (and many many other people) enjoy their shows? That is an example of the complete and utter exaggeration of your dislike for BD. That is why a few of us label you as haters. That is an obviously false statement and yet it is being brought up in every single post about BD. The "audience" is not just one hivemind of people that like a particular type of show; it is made up of many groups. For example, I personally am not a huge fan of gimmicks or things that I feel are too close to "high school band" or immature looking. That is why I gravitate to SCV and The Blue Devils. They give off an air of "cool" that other corps don't. It is why I don't get as much entertainment as some of the people on this forum from The Cadets this year. I appreciate red vs. white visual stuff, but the angels and demons and the hornline awkwardly spinning poles around just completely turn me off because it appears goofy and immature. OBVIOUSLY many people think it is awesome, and that is TOTALLY FINE. It is also why I am not on here yelling that the Cadets suck and the only reason they are winning is because it is their turn or whatever other crap the BD haters spew about BD. I think BD should be winning for reasons related specifically to the sheets and judging and I only complain when that seems wildly in error (like their vis performance scores or brass scores last night).

I don't know how else to explain it, BD is "cool" and "mature" in their approach in a way that most other corps are not. To me, that is the type of audience member their shows are catered to. I feel like if I show a Blue Devils show to one of my friends with no marching band or DCI exposure when they see it they wont be giggling or laughing at sections like they would at parts of say a Cadets show. If I showed them pretty much any BD show(with a couple of exceptions like 2005) I think this statement would hold up. If I showed them Cadets 2006 or something similar they would laugh their way out of the room and I wouldn't blame them. That "type" of show is only interesting to those of us with years of experience invested in marching (for the most part) and it seems ridiculously uncool to outsiders. I don't if any of that makes any sense, but there ya go.

In the theater I was in I was sitting next to some people that really dug Blue Devils show, and I was also around some people that didn't like it. Some people liked both. This was in Illinois. Obviously most of the people there cheered for Phantom and Cavies the loudest because we are in Illinois. I am going to venture out and say that if you were in a theater on the west coast, many of the people would be cheering for Blue Devils and SCV the loudest. Crowds in Indy this year are most likely predominantly people from the Midwest and so they probably favor midwest corps over west coast. The point I am trying to make is that there are TONS of factors that go into why the small group of people you are around in the theater, or the small group of people even on this website like or dislike certain corps. The same can be said about crowd reaction in Indy.

Obviously I am not saying that some shows don't get more fan reaction than others because of people simply liking them more with no bias, but to dismiss the fact that DCI in many ways is akin to major league sports, and to say that alot of the people complaining about particular corps has nothing to do with placements and who their home team is is ignorant. That is the point I (and I think Plan 9 though I don't like speaking for him without his consent :P) are trying to make. If you are going to "hate" BD, at least hate them honestly. Don't hide behind it by saying crap like "I appreciate the performers" or "If they had better designers they would be more enjoyable" because that is just you trying to rationalize your hatered to people so that you don't seem like you are hating because you simply don't like BD winning or beating your team. BD is most likely not going to put on shows like the Cadets, and that is alright. For those of us who love the type of show BD puts out, how about you just let us enjoy it (whether they are winning or losing) without being complete jerks about IN EVERY SINGLE POST.

I am not sure I agree with your description of how outsiders would view The Cadets (I would think most outsiders could view the Cadets and appreciate the quality), but I completely agree with your perspective on BD. The bashing is ludicrous and the repeated comments that "most" people don't find BD entertaining is just plain false IMO. I think is a case of a very vocal minority.

I am not sure I agree with your description of how outsiders would view The Cadets (I would think most outsiders could view the Cadets and appreciate the quality), but I completely agree with your perspective on BD. The bashing is ludicrous and the repeated comments that "most" people don't find BD entertaining is just plain false IMO. I think is a case of a very vocal minority.

Thank you. I am having a hard time getting my specific point across as it is kind of hard to do so on forums (plus I get a little emotional when confornted with constant BD bashing all the time.)

I will say however that I have experienced first hand the point I was making about "immature" show concepts or props or acting. It happened as recently as last year with Jeffrey. I had convinced some coworkers to watch some shows with me and when Jeffrey popped up it was instant laughing and making fun. Some were done at that point. A couple guys hung around for the rest and thought Cavies and BD were very "cool" (their exact words, though one guy didn't like the corps being all male...some people are still ignorant and stuck in the 50s mentality :P).

Semi-intelligible rant.

I'm entertained by BD. Plenty of people are. Don't hate them at all.

What I'm saying is that BD has been designing shows that aren't entertaining in a traditional sense. Meaning the type of stuff you were complaining about in the Cadets show in a way that was not at all hypocritical.

And you don't have to take my word for it. Ask the staff. Ask the designers. I had the great privilege of watching them warm-up at semis last year. A pretty well-known BD staffer was emphasizing how uncomfortable the show was supposed to make the audience. Some people might like that. I do. But that's what most fans are looking for.

A lot fans prefer a different style of show. They cheer louder for those shows than they do BD. This is what your corps wants. They do it intentionally. Accept it, move on, and you'll enjoy your corps unparalleled success a little bit more.

I'm entertained by BD. Plenty of people are. Don't hate them at all.

What I'm saying is that BD has been designing shows that aren't entertaining in a traditional sense. Meaning the type of stuff you were complaining about in the Cadets show in a way that was not at all hypocritical.

And you don't have to take my word for it. Ask the staff. Ask the designers. I had the great privilege of watching them warm-up at semis last year. A pretty well-known BD staffer was emphasizing how uncomfortable the show was supposed to make the audience. Some people might like that. I do. But that's what most fans are looking for.

A lot fans prefer a different style of show. They cheer louder for those shows than they do BD. This is what your corps wants. They do it intentionally. Accept it, move on, and you'll enjoy your corps unparalleled success a little bit more.

Yeah I don't have an issue with any of this. I don't have an issue with people not clapping or enjoying BD shows. I also never said that "most" fans was what BD is targeting as I totally don't think last years show was meant to be for everyone. I think it was specifically made for people like you and I, who respect and enjoy that type of show. I also personally have the music stuck in my head from last year quite frequently as an aside :P

I just don't like people trying to extend their dislike of a show into pure mean spirited hatred simply because that show may be beating their favorite, or people not being honest with why they are hating on a show and tearing down the organization using gross generalizations or making up complete crap to try and "prove" their point. Hell, if people don't like the show that is all fine and good. I don't like plenty of shows, but when I don't like something I try to make sure I correctly state why or I just keep my mouth shut :P

• Like 2

YES! :thumbup:

BDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBSCVCADETSCADETSCADETSCADSTSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCAVSBDBDCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETACADETSBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDSCVCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSBDBDBD92BDBDBDBDBDBDBDCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETS84CADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDSTAROFINDIANACADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCCBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCAVSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSACBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDCCBDCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSCADETSBD