Prelims!

Perhaps the Blue Devils (especially the 2010 show) are just the Star of Indiana of now.

If you can, go back and watch the video of Star 1993. I'm not a big fan of the show, but even then, they received HUGE ovations multiple times through the show. There was a certain power (apparently) that doesn't translate so well through the video. I'm not sure that I sense that from BD, though. I don't know why. It's an interesting comparison, though. I would say that Star's inaccessible music from 1993 is the equivalent of BD's weird-looking props in 2011.

Thank you! I completely understand where you're coming from. The reason I enjoy shows like this is because I'm fond of analysis. I'm an English major, so finding deeper meanings and connections is fascinating to me! :smile:

I completely agree. I always prefer movies/books/music that go deeper. The key, though, is being appealing enough on first glance to make you want to take a second look (I'm reminded of my favorite Glassmen t-shirt, but I digress). BD's show didn't have that grab, the first (or second or third) time I saw it. On the other hand, XtraordinarY did. And I've been finding interesting connections ever since. (Similarly, Spin Cycle and Frameworks did that for me, too.) That's all very subjective, though. Based on audience responses throughout the season, I'd say that many people agree with me about BD's ability to "grab" you this year.

Its a nice analysis, and I dont really have a problem with BD doing it. As others have said, there is room for experimentation in drum corps, and there is room for variety. Not every show has to make you want to yell and scream, and a lot of shows do that already. Would I have a problem if this show won - yeah, because I dont believe it deserves to do so...but do i have a problem with the show on principle - nope, its a cool concept, and no doubt they do it well

Exactly. If BD '11 is the example of a "championship" show, then I'm not sure I want to win. :-) Interesting, yes. Worth doing, yes. Badly titled, absolutely! But bad, no. Just not ideal for the epitome of Drum Corps 2011.

• Like 1

But this year, this behavior is particularly distasteful in that BD's designers have made a huge effort to "answer the mail" from critics (non-judges for certain). As Cesario said, "they've taken a huge gamble" (re: departing from their clearly dominant "out there" designs). So what do they get for their effort..... continued rude responses as have been represented in this thread.

This is "departing from their clearly dominant 'out there' designs"? Not with that mess of pvc on the field. You want me to love BD again (and I have in the past), get them to return to playing great music while marching and stop depending on themes/visuals that distract from the core of what makes Drum Corps spectacular.

In fact, I wonder if BD is even capable of fielding a show with out life-sized props. I think it has become a crutch for them.

• Like 1

I have to disagree. The Cadets have won over a lot of people this year after years of being hated. BD could put out an audience pleasing show if they made that their priority, and they'd win over 90% of the "haters" right out of the gates. What most people want to see is entertaining, emotionally impactful drum corps. As soon as BD puts that on the field like we all know they can they will get the love to go along with it. :thumbup:

Exactly. I hated Cadets shows from 05-07 with WAY more passion than I dislike this year's BD show. In fact, I almost threw away my Cavies t-shirts because I was SO disgusted with the direction they were taking DCI. Then they did AP Spring, West Side Story, Toy Soldiers, and this year. Over four years, they have won me back. But it took a few years, and I still don't completely trust them. I'm not going to bring people to see the first DCI show under the promise that The Cadets will be amazing, because they might go back and rehash something that made me despise them a few years ago. But I'm cautiously optimistic about them. BD's going to have to learn from that path and build up a few years of accessibility to win me back as a fan. It can be done, though.

It's true that a good portion of the BD hate comes from band kids. I take loads of high school kids to competitions every year, and I've seen this a lot since 2007.

But don't insult them by saying they don't know any better. They know exactly what why they don't like BD. It isn't because of rumors, it isn't because of historical grievances, or regional bias or anything like this. It's because they don't like BD's shows, and they don't understand why they win and their favorite corps (usually Cavies, Phantom, and Crown) don't. No matter how much I or anyone else tries to explain, they're not going to listen.

For your BD fans, alumni, close followers, here's the thing: This is what your corps wants. Stop getting upset about it. BDs shows the past few years have been designed not to garner a traditional baby-throwing audience reaction. The staff openly admits this. Watched BD warmup last year at semis, and heard one prominent staff member emphasize how "uncomfortable" the show was supposed to make the audience feel. And about this year's show . . . Bacharach or not, stylistically it's very similar to what BD has been doing the past few years.

Personally I've loved the past several iterations of the Blue Devils. But don't be hurt or angry when a lot of people don't. Remember, your corps has been doing this intentionally. Too bad they didn't let some of you in on the secret.

It's not just the high school kids who dislike the recent incarnations of the BDs. I’m 39 and have been watching drum corp since 1987 when I was in high school. Over the decades, I’ve always enjoyed the eventual winner of the championship even though they may not have been my favorite show/corp of the finals. But almost always, I at least liked the champion enough that I would want to rewatch it. With the recent BD’s that has not been the case. What’s also sad IMO is that the BDs don’t even play jazz like they used to. Now, it just seems like they are playing soft jazz or Kenny G jazz. That 2003 clip really showed how much BD has changed…for the worse.

• Like 1

lol @ Plan9, what a BD apologist

In theaters, they played a clip of the BD 2003 show. People LOVED it, and I overheard several remarks about "classic BD" or "a real BD show", etc. The only "prop" was the cymbal rack, and people (both in the crowd at that 2003 show and in the theaters last night) went nuts for it. THAT is the BD that people are okay with taking 1st or 2nd every year. They get hyped, see spectacular musicianship, and overall just have fun.

That's why I have been talking about the bad reaction to BD. People don't have fun watching them anymore, yet they still get outrageous scores. Valid or not, many people's opinion is that "they win because of their name", and that if say SCV or Crown marched the exact same show, it would get 4th place.

BINGO!!! Same experience in my theater. And you know, people went wild for the cymbal rack, too. No amplification/synths necessary. (Compare to the laughs, smiles, and pointing at the marching timpani in one of the other clips.)

• Like 1

This is "departing from their clearly dominant 'out there' designs"? Not with that mess of pvc on the field. You want me to love BD again (and I have in the past), get them to return to playing great music while marching and stop depending on themes/visuals that distract from the core of what makes Drum Corps spectacular.

In fact, I wonder if BD is even capable of fielding a show with out life-sized props. I think it has become a crutch for them.

OK....we get it.....you don't get it...fine!!!

And just to be accurate, I don't give a #### if you love BD again.....really! That is your taste and belongs to you....and no amount of marketing is going to change that! It's called freedom of choice. My comments were only directed toward the continued behavior of so-called drum corps fans that feel comfortable doing the ridicuous crap they do to any corps on the field. Like their show....don't like it.....whatever.....just respect the performers. This really isn't that difficult to understand.

• Like 2

Before I saw this show live, I probably would have agreed with the props statement, however, after seeing it live a few weeks ago, I think the props, while some people think they detract, actually do add to the show, if you watch closely. But then some people think that you do have to watch the props too closely, which detracts from the rest of the show. I can see both points, but actually do kind of like the props.

Exactly. Which means it's a bad design. Good design uses props that draw you in to the story and enhance what the corps is doing. Bad design makes you pay attention to the props while ignoring the music/marching. At least that's a part of my definition of good design/bad design.

It's not just the high school kids who dislike the recent incarnations of the BDs. I’m 39 and have been watching drum corp since 1987 when I was in high school. Over the decades, I’ve always enjoyed the eventual winner of the championship even though they may not have been my favorite show/corp of the finals. But almost always, I at least liked the champion enough that I would want to rewatch it. With the recent BD’s that has not been the case. What’s also sad IMO is that the BDs don’t even play jazz like they used to. Now, it just seems like they are playing soft jazz or Kenny G jazz. That 2003 clip really showed how much BD has changed…for the worse.

I realize that, but an earlier poster noted that the worst of the anti-BD vitriol - booing at the theaters and the like - came from the youngest fans, which IMO is true. They don't have the memories of BD past the rest of us do. Instead they think that the "make-'em-squirm" BD is all there ever has been and all there ever will be, and they hate it when BD beats the shows they like for reasons they can't or won't understand (in spite of exhaustive explanations on my part).