Pioneer

I know Olathe has a couple Band Directors who encourage their kids to go the the KC Drum Corps Show which was held in Olathe, KS this year. Yea, maybe the band directors would rather their kids go to drum corps after graduation.

The Summer between High School and College is a good time to do Drum Corps. I think the fear of the Band Directors is Drum Corps will ruin their kids enthusiasm for High School Band. It probably would as I've seen that happen. It's hard marching in Band after marching Drum Corps. The theatre last night had a lot of High School kids. I saw the most of the Blue Valley North West band there enjoying the show with their Band Director.

Most of the Bands in the area finished Band Camp this week so Drum Corps would not be conducive to band participation.

The highlighted part above seems, to me, to be an "old wive's tale" that continues to circulate through the ranks of band directors. I personally know many people who have marched WC corps during HS and gone back as huge assets to their band programs. I know one from Kansas very well ( :laughing: ) that started marching in WC before he even started in HS and was a great leader in his band and also helped the director with teaching visual when the director asked.

There are a ton of talented kids in Kansas bands that just need the right "nudge" to be in drum corps.

Alright, so I am seeing on the Pioneer website that there are some huge things coming for 2012.

What does this mean? Is there a code that we have to break to be able to see what is coming?

Should I get out my decoder ring from Ovaltine to see where they are going?

Inquiring minds want to know.

You could try their Facebook page.

You could try their Facebook page.

Hm..... Interesting - makes me curious and excited for the members and recruits going to Pio!

• Like 1

The highlighted part above seems, to me, to be an "old wive's tale" that continues to circulate through the ranks of band directors. I personally know many people who have marched WC corps during HS and gone back as huge assets to their band programs. I know one from Kansas very well ( :laughing: ) that started marching in WC before he even started in HS and was a great leader in his band and also helped the director with teaching visual when the director asked.

There are a ton of talented kids in Kansas bands that just need the right "nudge" to be in drum corps.

I'd say he's more of an exception to the rule. When I was in High School Band one of our Drummers Marched Sky Ryders his Junior year and came back and could hardly stand what we were doing in marching band. Our band was pretty good at the time.

I Marched between My Senior Year in high School and Freshman year in College and was just disgusted at how bad the Emproia State Marching Band program was run at the time 1985. Band Teachers in Olathe tend to use Drum Corps as a model but don't really want their students participating until they have left High School. In my Opinion from what I have observed.

Yes, Kansas is full of talented students who could do well in DCI.

What does F.T.W. mean?

"For The Win"

If I were Pioneer, I'd give Kansas City a try for an audition camp. Too much talent to skip over. Say they are able to get a half dozen to commit to the next season, that's a half dozen more than they would have had.

I do think the bulk of their recruiting should be local to their home office.

• Like 1