Shut Up and Play

I'm still not a huge fan of the pre-recorded vocalist at the beginning/end. Especially since it isn't (correct me if I'm wrong) a corps member singing it.

But no life-sized props! That's a plus. (Imagine designing that drill AND having to weave it around giant chess pieces, for example.)

• Like 1

I'm still not a huge fan of the pre-recorded vocalist at the beginning/end. Especially since it isn't (correct me if I'm wrong) a corps member singing it.

But no life-sized props! That's a plus. (Imagine designing that drill AND having to weave it around giant chess pieces, for example.)

Fully agree. I didn't see/hear one use of electronics that I felt was necessary and couldn't be handled by standard drum corps instruments. No it wouldn't sound exactly the same as the original, so what?

As for props - I probably liked Blue Stars the best but certainly could have lived without them. BD and Cascades just cluttered up the field. The front side screens used by so many corps just brought back some of the less stellar memories of the 80s. I thought Crusader's giant bedsheet thing was very well done, but when did lights become legal?

• Like 1

I don't really think there would have been a better way to represent the angels than with that singing. And they use it sparingly in my opinion.

And I believe that is also in the original piece, is it not? I remember George looking for a vocalist during the spring for it.

I also actually thought the "mysterious" sounds they used for effect around the opening hits added a great deal to the show. Those parts always gave me the shivers and really helped to set the mood. After many misfires with the electronics over the past few years, they really figured out how to use them this year. A nice touch and overall well-blended (and not overshadowing) the musicians.

• Like 2

Year in year out the same programs over and over...electronics add variety and let you make sounds you couldn't before. A plus for the activity

Take all the electronics out from this year's show and there's a tremendous amount of variety. If you think shows before electronic were the "same programs over and over" then you're missing something very big.

Personally I feel it mainly lets the designers and arrangers be lazy. How can we get this idea across, or how do we translate this sound from the original source music? Rather than having to be creative they can just throw in an audio clip or a sample.

• Like 2

My goodness, we STILL have people complaining about the use of literally "seconds" of a GREAT angelic sound effect that the Cadets used?? WHY??? *sighs*

This was not 2006, 2007, 2008...

I say, BRAVO to the Cadets for using it sparingly, and using it EFFECTIVELY. It made the show work, and it was outstanding and enjoyable to watch and listen to. Period.

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 7