Auditioning on tuba for Crossmen

Yeah I'm registering tomorrow for the November camp, I just wanted to hear what it might be like from Crossmen vets.

As a Crossmen alumni I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully you can be part of something great, and be there when we return to the Top 12 once again.

• Like 1

they should have their line of contras there at auditions. Best advice would probably be to email the brass caption head and tell him you play contra and ask if he wants you to bring a sousaphone to the audition. I have definitely seen pictures of sousaphones at early DCI camps, but it probably varies from corps to corps.

if they only want you on contras, and there are too many people, they will rotate through. Make sure if they do this that you take the time when you don't have an instrument during rehearsal just as seriously. Don't be seen slacking off because you aren't holding a horn at that time.

I have been at November and December tryout camps for DCI WC corps for the last ten years. The biggest reason I see for people not returning that play tuba/contra is the holding the horn part. So many people come in that can march weel and play great, but they simply cannot hold the horn up for more than a few seconds at a time. I've seen guys that are six foot tall with tears running down their face while trying to hold that horn. I've also seen 110 pound females that can hold it for five minutes at a time without breaking a sweat.

Biggest advice: Find something that weighs around 40 pounds and is similar in shape to a tuba/contra. Hold it up in front of you like a marching tuba/contra. Start with at least one minute at a time and work up to five minutes at a time. Try snapping it up to your shoulder and back down again. Do this while watching TV.

I have been at November and December tryout camps for DCI WC corps for the last ten years. The biggest reason I see for people not returning that play tuba/contra is the holding the horn part. So many people come in that can march weel and play great, but they simply cannot hold the horn up for more than a few seconds at a time. I've seen guys that are six foot tall with tears running down their face while trying to hold that horn. I've also seen 110 pound females that can hold it for five minutes at a time without breaking a sweat.

Biggest advice: Find something that weighs around 40 pounds and is similar in shape to a tuba/contra. Hold it up in front of you like a marching tuba/contra. Start with at least one minute at a time and work up to five minutes at a time. Try snapping it up to your shoulder and back down again. Do this while watching TV.

Thanks for advice!!

So I emailed them, and they said they would preffer I bring my own marching tuba, but not a bugle.

I think they mean bring a Bb horn not a G? I was told that was the difference between a marching tuba and a contrabass bugle

Thanks for advice!!

So I emailed them, and they said they would preffer I bring my own marching tuba, but not a bugle.

I think they mean bring a Bb horn not a G? I was told that was the difference between a marching tuba and a contrabass bugle

Yes. Bb horn. They use Yamaha 202s if you can get your hands on one. If not, any marching tuba should do. If you can't find one, try to get to camp early :). But I know it's often to have a horn rotation going on at a lot of corps at the first audition camps.

Yes. Bb horn. They use Yamaha 202s if you can get your hands on one. If not, any marching tuba should do. If you can't find one, try to get to camp early :). But I know it's often to have a horn rotation going on at a lot of corps at the first audition camps.

Thank you, I've always marched a sousaphone and my director frowns on using contras(for high school bands, not drum corps) so I don't hear a whole lot about them.

I figured I'd probly look a little better if I had a marching tuba of my own and knew how to hold it, as opposed to the camp being the first time, no?

My son got a fence hammer ( the kind that has two handles welded onto a capped pipe) He would hold that and it worked prettywell

Thanks for advice!!

Looks like a question for the Expert!

As has already been stated, DCI WC and OC corps are always looking for talented contra players. Simply by being able to play your horn at an acceptable level, being in some sort of good shape, and having the right attitude will put you ahead of at least 50% of the people that show up to an audition at ANY corps. Even the top 5 corps receive their fair share of overweight and under-developed tuba players that simply can't make the cut, but get spots by sticking with the corps through the winter season. If you are looking for proof, watch any finals video and look at the tuba section - you'll find your one or two that look a little bit "chunkier" than the rest.

The biggest difference between the tuba players that can obvious hang, and those that shouldn't be able to but make it anyways, comes with the sound and articulation abilities of the individual, in my opinion. Many of the warmup or technique programs of DCI corps involve a heavy amount of fast articulation exercises in order to match the articulation style of the ensemble. If you can really fill up the horn, play with a good sound at upper dynamic levels, and retain your sense of style, you will make it for sure.

Just some words of advice, but if you would like even more specific information on preparing for the audition with materials beyond those that the corps will supply you, PM me and I can give you some exercises. Best of luck, and enjoy your experience auditioning no matter what the result is at the end of the weekend.

Sincerely,

the brassEXPERT