Revolution Erupts

What I can't understand is if you're owed $11k in tour fees, why you go without the cash. Seems to me scores are more important than business

I know dci has jumped in with issues for world class corps. I hope they do the sane with open class corps

Man, this news stinks. It was GREAT having Revolution come up to the Pacific Northwest this season and share their love with us. Such a great group of performers they have in that corps, for sure. I really do hope that a group of exceptional people step up to correct the wrongs of the past and get this corps ready for another successful tour next season. Like many have already stated, it would be a shame too lose another terrific drum corps due to the errors of a small few. For those that live in that region/area of town, please, get involved, sort it all out and get this group ready for auditions. It takes a village, right?

Hope it all works out, Revolution. You're too good to let something like this break you.

I'll be pulling for you folks.

Cheers!

• Like 3

I have wanted to comment on this topic several times. However, I have held back. I was not in Indianapolis this weekend, so I could not see what took place. So I will not comment on those events; that would be nothing but hearsay.

I will simply say this: It is irresponsible and unconscionable, for this amount of unpaid dues at the end of tour. $11,000 is a lot of money, for an open class corps. It may be chicken feed to a WC outfit, but to an OC outfit like Revo, it can be the difference towards financial survival. This amount should have been collected, before the members stepped on the bus, at the start of the tour. If it is not paid, then it threatens the ability of the entire corps to tour.

Honestly, I would like to see Revo (and all corps, OC and WC) to implement a rule: if you do not pay your dues, by the end of move-in camp, you cannot tour. Period. Marching in drum corps is a priviledge, not a right. And if you do not pay your dues, you do not march.

What happens if a rule like this is not established, and enforced? Someone else needs to pick up the tab. Or the corps runs out of money, and then no one gets paid. Or the tour gets cut short. Or the corps folds.

Didn't DCI use to enforce a rule, that each new MM, at the start of the season, had to sign a paper, stating that a) they did not have a contract with another corps for that season, and b) they did not owe any outstanding funds to other corps? Wasn't this part of the standard documentation, that each new MM had to sign, along with the age verification? Or is this rule no longer enforced? (I remember signing something to that effect when I marched, but that was before cell phones....)

Whoever did not pay these dues this year should not be allowed to march with Revo, or any other corps, until they make good on their debts. Honestly, this is where DCI itself would need to get involved. If someone marched with Revo last year, and didn't pay their bills, then shouldn't be able to just walk into Forte/Genesis/Crossmen next year, and pull the same stunt. Maybe these delinquent MMs should be "black-listed" by DCI for what they have done. That may sound harsh, but the line has has to be drawn somewhere.

I do not want to see Revo, or an organization like Revo, fold. But unless these types of rules are established, and enforced, then that may be inevitable. And that really would be sad. This organization has done a lot to help young musicians in South Texas. I don't want to see that legacy come to an end.

• Like 4

I have wanted to comment on this topic several times. However, I have held back. I was not in Indianapolis this weekend, so I could not see what took place. So I will not comment on those events; that would be nothing but hearsay.

I will simply say this: It is irresponsible and unconscionable, for this amount of unpaid dues at the end of tour. $11,000 is a lot of money, for an open class corps. It may be chicken feed to a WC outfit, but to an OC outfit like Revo, it can be the difference towards financial survival. This amount should have been collected, before the members stepped on the bus, at the start of the tour. If it is not paid, then it threatens the ability of the entire corps to tour.

Honestly, I would like to see Revo (and all corps, OC and WC) to implement a rule: if you do not pay your dues, by the end of move-in camp, you cannot tour. Period. Marching in drum corps is a priviledge, not a right. And if you do not pay your dues, you do not march.

What happens if a rule like this is not established, and enforced? Someone else needs to pick up the tab. Or the corps runs out of money, and then no one gets paid. Or the tour gets cut short. Or the corps folds.

Didn't DCI use to enforce a rule, that each new MM, at the start of the season, had to sign a paper, stating that a) they did not have a contract with another corps for that season, and b) they did not owe any outstanding funds to other corps? Wasn't this part of the standard documentation, that each new MM had to sign, along with the age verification? Or is this rule no longer enforced? (I remember signing something to that effect when I marched, but that was before cell phones....)

Whoever did not pay these dues this year should not be allowed to march with Revo, or any other corps, until they make good on their debts. Honestly, this is where DCI itself would need to get involved. If someone marched with Revo last year, and didn't pay their bills, then shouldn't be able to just walk into Forte/Genesis/Crossmen next year, and pull the same stunt. Maybe these delinquent MMs should be "black-listed" by DCI for what they have done. That may sound harsh, but the line has has to be drawn somewhere.

I do not want to see Revo, or an organization like Revo, fold. But unless these types of rules are established, and enforced, then that may be inevitable. And that really would be sad. This organization has done a lot to help young musicians in South Texas. I don't want to see that legacy come to an end.

While this strays from my original post, you are correct. In fact, I personally suggested a very similar policy to Revo's leaders two years ago. The difference was that I suggested that all dues be paid by or before move-in. This would allow the staff to work the show around the kids they know they will be touring with... as opposed to spending two weeks crafting a show then ending up with 15 holes, when it's time to hit the road. That suggestion never saw the light of day. In fact, during the corps meeting in which Rodriguez and Quigley resigned their day-to-day duties (Tuesday night, after OC finals), they sited as "part" of the reason their inability to crack down on kids who don't pay their fees.

While this strays from my original post, you are correct. In fact, I personally suggested a very similar policy to Revo's leaders two years ago. The difference was that I suggested that all dues be paid by or before move-in. This would allow the staff to work the show around the kids they know they will be touring with... as opposed to spending two weeks crafting a show then ending up with 15 holes, when it's time to hit the road. That suggestion never saw the light of day. In fact, during the corps meeting in which Rodriguez and Quigley resigned their day-to-day duties (Tuesday night, after OC finals), they sited as "part" of the reason their inability to crack down on kids who don't pay their fees.

this is good, but if they had 11k in outstanding dues, and owed the bus company 9k,..........it sounds like the remaining 2k was expected to go a long way in feeding the corps, paying staff, etc.,.............I am guessing that there were/are other shortfalls in paying outstanding bills from the season,...............heck, staying in Indy for 4 more days after OC finals should not have happened if they couldn't afford it,.........

For all who are in doubt...

I am a first year DCI dad. I have little knowledge of Drum Corps, except a nephew who is very involved. My son was on the Revolution tour, and began to text me saying they needed money, things are falling apart, stuck in the rain because of locked buses, and so on. I believed that he was over exaggerating and /or falling to wild rumors. Well doubters, as to date, YES THIS DID HAPPEN and I am very upset! There is only one person in EVERY organization who is ultimately responsible...the director. The funds should have been paid up AT THE BEGINNING or you don't go, at least that is what I read and was told. This was more than lack of communication and oversight. As far as legal, yes this could reach far beyond DCI. There are minors involved, people left without food, purchased items not received (yes Revo owes me!) and so on. Thanks to all those who stepped up and helped,I understand even people outside of Revo helped; I am grateful to you all. And A.C. you rock !!!! My son can be under you supervision ANY PLACE, ANY TIME! I do not hold grudges, and still love DCI; hope my son has the opportunity to play for many summers to come. I hope DCI will listen and make sure these situations do not happen in the future.

That's for a court of law to determine if it gets that far....right now it's an accusation without definite proof (no matter how many people claim they have it). A libel charge could be in the offing if someone thinks so.

I run a television news department, for a living. In my world, the potential for a libel suit is always in the offing. We work closely with lawyers to make sure we are on the right path and are, as a result, well versed in the law. I foresee no problems here. Does that mean a person can't file suit? Of course not. Anyone can sue for anything. Meeting the burden or proof, however, is an entirely different and far more difficult matter. I have the truth and, if need be, the proof on my side. That said, I appreciate your concern.

• Like 1

After finishing 5th in last week's Open Class Finals, Revolution erupted. Just hours after the event, the corps chief administrators, Johnny Rodriguez and Mike Quigley, announced they would be resigning their day-to-day rolls with the corps. They pointed out, however, that they will retain control of the corps from behind the scenes. During that same meeting, they told the corps that their participation in the World Prelims was in jeopardy as the bus company was threatening to head back to Texas, for non-payment. Corps members were asked to each contribute an extra $100 to help pay the bus company. We've been part of the corps for years. Last minute financial solicitations, like this, are not uncommon at Revolution. I'm not sure how much "extra money" was collected, but an 11th hour deal was apparently reached and the buses rolled-on from Michigan City to Indianapolis.

In the wake of that news, on Thursday... the day of the World Class Prelims... news came that revolutions entire percussion staff, as well as several other staff members, has been fired. Anyone who has followed Revolution knows that it has historically been a corps built around it's driving percussion section. Now, all of the professionals who were responsible for that drum line, are gone... just like that. In protest of the terminations, all members of the battery refused to participate in Friday's parade. They (especially those who had been part of the drum line for years) wanted answers that they could not get. To save face, Revolution gathered a few of the corps front ensemble members, strapped drums to them and had them play in the parade.

As if all of this was not enough, on Friday morning a remaining staff member, who was put in charge, told me he was trying to get other corps (especially Crossmen, because they're from San Antonio too) to try and get the kids, who refused to participate in the parade, a ride home. When I asked why that would even be necessary, he told me that Rodriguez had left explicit instructions that those who did not participate in the parade would not be allowed on the buses and would have to find their own way back to Texas. When I asked where Rodriguez and Quigley were (I wanted to talk to them), he told me they had left back to Texas the night before.

Make no mistake about it, John and Mike, this post is designed to both expose what happened and to call you out. I hope you will see it as an opportunity to explain your actions which, on the surface, seem neither rational or acceptable.

Dan Delgado

4-year Revolution Parent

Mea Culpa.

I have now verified through an unconditionally-qualified-to-answer source about 65% of Mr. Delgado's post.

It sounds as though the primary faults were communication, business-sense, and staff conflict. It sounds pretty nasty but, in the end, a few key staff pulled together to gather support and protect the kids.

Staff qualification to either teach or interact with young adults was specified. As was the director's inability to properly communicate what he needed, wanted, envisioned. His early exit had been planned but, apparently, few knew about it.

I'm still not convinced that this is the appropriate forum for such a discussion but, since it's here, the facts are important to preserve the integrity of the people involved. My understanding is that DCI is knows all-to-well of the problems, and has known so for more than this year.

I would suggest a letter from Mr. Delgado to DCI is a more appropriate solution.

I would also think a staff change, mostly top to bottom, would be appropriate.

• Like 1

$11,000 is a lot of money, for an open class corps.

It seems like a lot of money, but in the bigger picture it's chump change. Look at Revo's web site and they state "tuition" as $2400. That 11k was the equivalent of less than 5 corps members' fees. If you can't float 5 delinquent/late member fees, you probably shouldn't be on the road at all.

• Like 3

Mea Culpa.

I have now verified through an unconditionally-qualified-to-answer source about 65% of Mr. Delgado's post.

It sounds as though the primary faults were communication, business-sense, and staff conflict. It sounds pretty nasty but, in the end, a few key staff pulled together to gather support and protect the kids.

Staff qualification to either teach or interact with young adults was specified. As was the director's inability to properly communicate what he needed, wanted, envisioned. His early exit had been planned but, apparently, few knew about it.

I'm still not convinced that this is the appropriate forum for such a discussion but, since it's here, the facts are important to preserve the integrity of the people involved. My understanding is that DCI is knows all-to-well of the problems, and has known so for more than this year.

I would suggest a letter from Mr. Delgado to DCI is a more appropriate solution.

I would also think a staff change, mostly top to bottom, would be appropriate.

It's good that you have been able to verify "about 65% of the post". Keep digging and you may soon verify the rest. As for a letter to DCI? It has already been done.