Revolution Erupts

some of you people need to stop watching Law and Order and deciding it's enough education to be forum lawyers. ~90% of the posts in this thread were complete drivel.

As far as what happened on tour, it's a #### shame. To any of the members who have actually made it this far into the thread without leaping out of the building you're in, I am sincerely dismayed that this happened, and I truly hope that you find a better home for next season.

• Like 2

If Revolution is really tight on funds? I would think they would go with a more regional tour until they beome more financially stable. They could compete in probably all of the Texas shows, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri then Indiana and have enough shows to make the Summer worthwhile for the kids. An Open Class corps shouldn't be expected to keep up with the World Class tour model.

Edited by Kansan

From what I understand, Revo WANTED to tour more locally. However, DCI assigns shows. Revo's only opportunity was to go west. DCI wanted them there since the west coast corps always complain, perhaps rightly so, that corps rarely come west of the Rockies while they are always expected to travel.

Wow...I see the Forums can still be a volatile place! This story is definitely a sad one, and thank goodness Chris (who I met and worked with during my time with Revo) was there to help at the end. After about page 6 or so I just began skimming, so sorry if this has already been said...but to release those in charge so close to the end of the season lacks so much sense, both business and common it is ridiculous. You mean to tell me that you could not wait one more week to take care of this behind closed doors after the kids were dismissed and everyone could sit down and figure this out like adults? As was stated earlier by John Rod - this is not the first time something negative about the corps has blown up in the forum, so how on earth did you think the same wasn't going to happen when done in this manner? Again - common sense. Having been involved in Drum Corps in some form or fashion for about 13 years, having a kid find their own way home when part of the corps, regardless of age is unacceptable in all but the most extreme of situations (i.e. something involving the law)...but maybe that's just me.

I hope you guys as a corps figure this out, and hire the right people this time - and by right I mean people with the best interests of the corps in mind, the business sense and PR acumen to make them a success - and if it's true control will be retained by those who just left - someone with the testicular fortitude to tell them to shut up when it comes to the day to day operation of the corps. The last thing this corps needs is a puppet director being controlled from behind the curtain - in my opinion.

Edited by SonicBoomer
  • Like 1

From what I understand, Revo WANTED to tour more locally. However, DCI assigns shows. Revo's only opportunity was to go west. DCI wanted them there since the west coast corps always complain, perhaps rightly so, that corps rarely come west of the Rockies while they are always expected to travel.

> Revo wanted to tour more locally.

And they did; DCI makes sure all OC corps from a particular region are allowed to perform at shows within their own region; even if the show is WC only.

> DCI assigns shows.

Not true for all shows; only shows sponsored by DCI. The private sponsor of a show can state that they want World Class corps only. The only exception to this is a privately sponsored show within an OC corps region (see above).

> Revo's only opportunity was to go west.

Not true; they could have chosen to stay home for a number of weeks just like the Academy did. They could have chosen to just perform locally like many of the OC corps who did not go to Finals; it was not their "only" option.

> DCI wanted them there [west]

Whether DCI wanted them to go west or not, Sue Kuhnhold, DCI events Coordinator, and David Eddleman, DCI Open Class Director, would never place any corps, any corps, in a position to go into the financial red if they were made aware up-front of a corps financial status.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4

And they did; DCI makes sure all OC corps from a particular region are allowed to perform at shows within their own region; even if the show is WC only.

> DCI assigns shows.

Not true for all shows; only shows sponsored by DCI. The private sponsor of a show can state that they want World Class corps only. The only exception to this is a privately sponsored show within an OC corps region (see above).

Not true; they could have chosen to stay home for a number of weeks just like the Academy did. They could have chosen to just perform locally like many of the OC corps who did not go to Finals; it was not their "only" option.

Whether DCI wanted them to go west or not, Sue Kuhnhold, DCI events Coordinator, and David Eddleman, DCI Open Class Director, would never place any corps, any corps, in a position to go into the financial red if they were made aware up-front of a corps financial status.

What you are saying sounds reasonable. The main reason Corps are in Open Class is because of their smaller budget and possible instability. I wouldn't think DCI would force a Corps to go on a tour that would break their financial back.

Edited by Kansan

This is so true. But first, they have to know if there is a problem. I'm not saying they did or didn't in this case because I don't know. However, I can safely believe that had they known there was a financial concern with any corps, they would not put said corps in a financially precarious position.

David is beyond being merely concerned for each corps' well-being and Sue, despite having a multitude of responsibilities, regards each corps as a mother duck regards her ducklings. You won't meet two finer people who want all the corps under their responsibility to succeed at what they're doing.

But let's be 100% clear here: DCI officials are not responsible for the financial stability of their member corps. That responsibility lies solely with the management of the corps themselves. And there are limits to what the DCI officials can do, to help the financial position of an individual corps. They can't dictate to a corps director, to charge more fees, engage in more fundraising, or take any similar action.

Now, can the DCI officials make recommendations to the corps management, as to steps they can take, to improve the stability of their corps? Of course they can. But that does not mean that the corps directors can actually must implement these actions.

Drum corps are not "franchises". If they were, then the franchising organization could dictate, to the franchisees, what they can and cannot do. And under certain circumstances, they could even take over management of the franchisee, if indeed the franchise was being badly mismanaged. (This is taking place right now in baseball, where MLB has taken over management of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The owner of the Dodgers has effectively run that franchise into the ground, and MLB had to step in, to literally prevent the franchise from collapsing.)

But DCI cannot, and will not, operate under this model. The corps are members, not franchisees. And if the management of an individual corps is making poor decisions, there is ultimately not a great deal that DCI can do, to put a stop to it.

• Like 2

Wow...I see the Forums can still be a volatile place! This story is definitely a sad one, and thank goodness Chris (who I met and worked with during my time with Revo) was there to help at the end. After about page 6 or so I just began skimming, so sorry if this has already been said...but to release those in charge so close to the end of the season lacks so much sense, both business and common it is ridiculous. You mean to tell me that you could not wait one more week to take care of this behind closed doors after the kids were dismissed and everyone could sit down and figure this out like adults? As was stated earlier by John Rod - this is not the first time something negative about the corps has blown up in the forum, so how on earth did you think the same wasn't going to happen when done in this manner? Again - common sense. Having been involved in Drum Corps in some form or fashion for about 13 years, having a kid find their own way home when part of the corps, regardless of age is unacceptable in all but the most extreme of situations (i.e. something involving the law)...but maybe that's just me.

I hope you guys as a corps figure this out, and hire the right people this time - and by right I mean people with the best interests of the corps in mind, the business sense and PR acumen to make them a success - and if it's true control will be retained by those who just left - someone with the testicular fortitude to tell them to shut up when it comes to the day to day operation of the corps. The last thing this corps needs is a puppet director being controlled from behind the curtain - in my opinion.

you mean as in a certain corps out "west" where this has existed for years now? beautifully stated

> DCI assigns shows.

neither of these two people control nor assign who goes out west, but Tom Hope is the DCI Pacific coordinator, and he decides who goes out west or not, in this case, he made the wrong decision, but then again those of us that have known him for years now, know he overlooks a lot, A LOT of "situations" just to make himself look good. REVO could have said no, it was NOT their only option.